Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Oh Jason. Sigh forever.

I'd just have him be another child that Hippolyta had back in the day, either before or after living on the island. Now, I have a hard time seeing the true Hippolyta willingly sleeping with Zeus, but I wouldn't even seriously mind Zeus being Jason's father if it meant that we could just shovel all this demigod stuff onto him, while Diana gets her own separate distinct clay origin. If DC thinks the Zeus origin is so friggin' great, then Jason is welcome to have it all.

My strong suspicion is that someone up high on the WB/DC decision-making branch was doggedly hanging onto the Zeus origin at the time, and even now continues to do so, in order to keep synergy with the DCEU. Which, yeah, is pretty ironic/silly/backwards considering that the movie likely only forced in the Zeus origin in order to keep synergy with what was the comics origin at the time...and also like, who even cares about the DCEU anymore at this point lol. The editorial branch of the WW offices seem more competent and put-together nowadays than they've ever been before, but this remains the one scab they won't pick at, likely also because Conrad and Cloonan don't seem particularly incentivized to do so.

...The downside of which is that this one single discrepancy in Diana's backstory continues to spread out and muddle the backstories of every single other character in her franchise, from Cassie (whose father Lennox doesn't technically exist anymore) to Donna (created by Amazons who never existed) and even Hippolyta and Nubia as well, so every writer who handles them nowadays has to do the narrative equivalent of politely ignoring the fact that these characters' origins haven't made any sense for about ten years .
    I have the same suspicions as well. I think if Rucka could have retconned the daddy Zeus nonsense then he would have. The problem is that we have people both on the creative side, the WB decision making chain and even among fans who think that making Diana the daughter of Zeus 'fixed her' character. You're so right that it's also throwing everyone else's origin off orbit as well because when you mess with something foundational as the origin story then then the whole house begins to tilt over. I've spoken to a lot of casual audiences and most of women are iffy on Diana being the daughter of Zeus and Zeus being the patron of the Amazons. They might not know the comics but they know it feels wrong.

What I suggest:

-Canonize Hippolyta as Ares biological daughter. This is inline with the myth and several WW comics have hinted at this as well. It also opens up a story line where Hippolyta breaks away from Ares clan to form the Amazons under Athena's rule. Diana is born from clay and is the grand daughter of Zeus.

-'Jason' is Hippolytus; Hippolyta's son by Thesus. Maybe he felt abandoned by his mother and traumatized by his father killing him that he develops a misplaced anger against the Amazons.

It's not just Rucka either; Steve Orlando was so clearly in-love with pre-Flashpoint WW stuff and brought back so many classic elements of WW that I fully believe he would have absolutely pulled the trigger and retconned the Zeus thing on multiple occasions if he could have gotten away with it. The fact that he was allowed to bring back so many other things, but conspicuously stopped just short of bringing back the clay origin, is actually what makes me think that there was some firm behind-the-scenes edict about this one specific thing.

Yep, even the current Cloonrad run is just skirting around the edges without outright saying whether she is the daughter of Zeus or born of clay.

Historia is doing the clay origin at least. Maybe that will finally open the gateways to doing the clay origin in the main universe as well.

One reader's take...

Any "Fix..." will involve having to rework the complete "One Foot In..."/"One Foot Out..." train wreck that is exactly how Jason would fit in given what readers have already been told.

Huge investment for what would likely be a reward that almost no readers seem seriously interested in.

He and Wonder Woman date for a while until they find out they are siblings and break up.

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    He's from an alternate universe who accidently got sent here.

He then dies on his way back home.
    And is wiped from the cosmic genomic structure of the Multiverse as though he had never existed. Never to be thought of or mentioned again

Jason being from an AU could be interesting if the premise was 'what if Hippolyta sculpted a boy instead of a girl?'.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Jason being from an AU could be interesting if the premise was 'what if Hippolyta sculpted a boy instead of a girl?'.
    I'm with you, right up to that gender-swithcheroo part. I think the Wonder Woman we read about, in the monthly comic, should have a superhuman male ally, who happens to be Prince Jason, the brother of a parallel universe Wonder Woman. I also think you can have an AU, where Queen Hippolyta had twins, and entrusted her son to the heroes of Thalarion, to be raised. It confounds me that James didn't go that route, and he could have told THAT origin, in six panels...

But, I guess that's the old way. So much better now, taking 3-6 issues to tell a superhero origin story...sure.

As for the Wonder Woman we read about, in the monthly comic, my OTHER question stands, if anyone dares to answer it. Do we really need Prince Jason or Wonder[blank], with Sigfried in the cast?

Whether he's Gundra's ex-husband or brother in-law, Conrad has confirmed, on Twitter, that Siggy's already in the Valkyrie family, by marriage, ..just as he is, in German folklore. He has colors and armor and style, all the sparks of a classic superhero. Furthermore, the important things about him are firmly established in German myth and not open to screwed around with, as Jason's profile was - Siggy is every bit the swashbuckling ladies' man and fearless adventurer, the myths have shown him to be. Can we see him playing a semi-regular role (like Steel or Catwoman used to), in the comic? When it comes to having a true, superhuman male Wonder about, who joins Diana, Artemis and Nubia on adventures, as their equal, I think Siggy does, as well, or better, ..than Prince Jason.

With Siggy, ex-husband of Gundra (a Wonder-villain), as a semi-regular, ..can we finally let Jason go, altogether?

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-19-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'm with you, right up to that gender-swithcheroo part. I think the Wonder Woman we read about, in the monthly comic, should have a superhuman male ally, who happens to be Prince Jason, the brother of a parallel universe Wonder Woman. I also think you can have an AU, where Queen Hippolyta had twins, and entrusted her son to the heroes of Thalarion, to be raised. It confounds me that James didn't go that route, and he could have told THAT origin, in six panels...

But, I guess that's the old way. So much better now, taking 3-6 issues to tell a superhero origin story...sure.

As for the Wonder Woman we read about, in the monthly comic, my OTHER question stands, if anyone dares to answer it. Do we really need Prince Jason or Wonder[blank], with Sigfried in the cast?

Whether he's Gundra's ex-husband or brother in-law, Conrad has confirmed, on Twitter, that Siggy's already in the Valkyrie family, by marriage, ..just as he is, in German folklore. He has colors and armor and style, all the sparks of a classic superhero. Furthermore, the important things about him are firmly established in German myth and not open to screwed around with, as Jason's profile was - Siggy is every bit the swashbuckling ladies' man and fearless adventurer, the myths have shown him to be. Can we see him playing a semi-regular role (like Steel or Catwoman used to), in the comic? When it comes to having a true, superhuman male Wonder about, who joins Diana, Artemis and Nubia on adventures, as their equal, I think Siggy does, as well, or better, ..than Prince Jason.

With Siggy, ex-husband of Gundra (a Wonder-villain), as a semi-regular, ..can we finally let Jason go, altogether?
    I think most people on this board are advocating to get rid of the Jason character permanently. Not sure where you get the idea otherwise.

Also, I find it strange that when we talk about Jason, you make sure to always say Prince Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I think most people on this board are advocating to get rid of the Jason character permanently. Not sure where you get the idea otherwise.

Also, I find it strange that when we talk about Jason, you make sure to always say Prince Jason.
    Well, the title of the thread is 'Try to make Jason work', and I have read more than a few posts, in which our fellow fans have given that, great insight, worthy of our gratitude and appreciation. I find it strange, when we don't show them that.

James Robinson closed the story, with Jason reunited with his mother, Queen Hippolyta, and welcomed into the Royal Family of Themiscyra; so, Prince Jason, he is. We may have huge problems, with "WW: Children Of The Gods", but, James busted his butt, writing that fifteen or sixteen issue story, and he got it published, which is more, than most of us can say - so, Prince Jason, he'll be, ..until the WW comic says he ain't.

You don't have to call him, anything, ..but, the thread is titled 'Try to make Jason work'.

...As for the Wonder Woman we read about, in the monthly comic, my OTHER question stands, if anyone dares to answer it. Do we really need Prince Jason or Wonder[blank], with Sigfried in the cast?...
    But do we need the WW comic to make Jason work, and is it even worth the time or editorial sweat, ..with Sigfried (already in the mythos, way cooler and Asgardian), as a semi-regular part of the cast?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-20-2022 at 04:27 PM. Reason: content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Delete post
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-20-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Well, the title of the thread is 'Try to make Jason work', and I have read more than a few posts, in which our fellow fans have given that, great insight, worthy of our gratitude and appreciation. I find it strange, when we don't show them that.

James Robinson closed the story, with Jason reunited with his mother, Queen Hippolyta, and welcomed into the Royal Family of Themiscyra; so, Prince Jason, he is. We may have huge problems, with "WW: Children Of The Gods", but, James busted his butt, writing that fifteen or sixteen issue story, and he got it published, which is more, than most of us can say - so, Prince Jason, he'll be, ..until the WW comic says he ain't.

You don't have to call him, anything, ..but, the thread is titled 'Try to make Jason work'.

But do we need the WW comic to make Jason work, and is it even worth the time or editorial sweat, ..with Sigfried (already in the mythos, way cooler and Asgardian), as a semi-regular part of the cast?
    To be consistent shouldn't we say princess Diana every time you mention Diana?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    To be consistent shouldn't we say princess Diana every time you mention Diana?
    I've already told you I can't post the superhero codename. I started referring to him, as Prince Jason, when I found out, he had one, and was surprised, when COTG wrapped, without JR using it. I even tried what you're doing, posting cryptic questions, hoping JR or one of the creators would announce it, in an interview ..or here, on CBR...

Didn't happen, and it isn't happening here, tonight. So, you can quit your 'Prince Jason' questions. I'm sworn to secrecy, the violation of which is punishable, by reading a year of stories on That Island.

No thanks.

As I said, call him whatever you like, but, the thread is a fantasy workshop, on how to make Jason work. From your comments, it sounds like you're looking for a 'Cancel Jason, Forever' thread, ..if we're being consistent...?

So, do you prefer Sigfried, as a semi-regular, to Prince Jason? Get rid of Jason, and you'll still have Siggy left, hogging up all of Cassie, Melania and Obscure Amazon X's panel time?

I think the WW comic needs a male in the Huntress or Supergirl role, ..a similarly powered male counterpart, who isn't Superman. Jason looked to be that character, before COTG trapped him, in the Dark Dimension.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-20-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Pretty sure no one cares about whatever Jason's codename might have theoretically been in some hypothetical unwritten story.

Didn't happen, and it isn't happening here, tonight. So, you can quit your 'Prince Jason' questions. I'm sworn to secrecy, the violation of which is punishable, by reading a year of stories on That Island.
    I'm pretty sure you already posted the "electrifying" codename, and it really doesn't matter because most people don't want Jason back.

So, do you prefer Sigfried, as a semi-regular, to Prince Jason? Get rid of Jason, and you'll still have Siggy left, hogging up all of Cassie, Melania and Obscure Amazon X's panel time?
    Siegfried is fine as a character, but I don't think he needs to become part of the recurring cast of characters. Ratatosk is the one that should stick around.

I think the WW comic needs a male in the Huntress or Supergirl role, ..a similarly powered male counterpart, who isn't Superman. Jason looked to be that character, before COTG trapped him, in the Dark Dimension.
    Wonder Woman doesn't need a male equivalent. Heck, that was supposed to be Superman himself. But if a writer wajts to bring a male character into the permanent Wonder Woman universe, it should definitely be the Bronze Age VARTOX.

He is a galatic champion with deeply empathetic abilities. He can sense the insecurity, alienation, depression in others, and he sees the abstract beasts in the astral plane that cause these emotions and swears to defeat all of them using his psionic powers.

He's the type of character that can sense the traumatic wounds in people while being galaxies away. He can be a character that constantly provides surreal space adventures for Diana like she had in the Marston run, and highlights the NEW AGE ideas that she had in the Golden Age like the Mental Radio, and brings out the way the Wonder Woman mythos explores these difficult emotions.

And he dresses in a way that is comparable to how Diana has been exposed over the years, and subverts how men usually dress in superhero stories.

Attached Images Attached Images