Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are teenagers not reading X-Men as much as they used to?

I'm honestly seeing less and less teenagers reading X-Men nowadays. I know they exist, but among teen Marvel comic readers even the Champions resonates more with them.

Is it just me?

BANNED

Comics are like $5 for 10 seconds of reading. I'm surprised you see teens with floppies at all.

I don't see teenagers reading at all. Kids just like anime and the MCU. But I'd imagine most teenagers would go for newer characters, since they have less history and are more accessible. Characters like Hellion would be very popular with teenagers. But he's not in any books, so I don't see them buying X-books.

EDIT: If you're judging by people going to brick and mortars, then you're probably off. Teenagers would be far more likely to buy issues digitally, which would be much more accessible and familiar for them.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-10-2022 at 08:08 PM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Astonishing Member

The current status quo is also way too tied into all of the X-history which stretches back six frigging decades. There's no real New Mutants/Academy X/etc. to act as a good jumping on point to ease them in, nor is there really a central X-book team resembling the X-men media they are probably the most familiar with (The movies). Maybe once the MCU hits and how things work revolving around that you might see more younger people pick it up, until then, yeah it's going to be more things like Champions and so on.

BANNED

Not to mention walk-in comic shops are all but obsolete... Then there's the Playstation, Xbox, and Smartphones.

I'm not seeing too many teens talking about them online either; usually it's older X-fans.

I don't seen teens talk about comics in general tbh but I'm not the person to ask about this

Astonishing Member

My sister does read some, but it’s mostly stuff she discovered first in an adaption , like Umbrella Academy.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Straight up part of the issue is access and no location for teens to be drawn to. I'll be honest the politics of Krakoa for teens is not interesting what would be is a book around a group who has powers and can do cool things. Its why the school I think works far better than the mutation nation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Straight up part of the issue is access and no location for teens to be drawn to. I'll be honest the politics of Krakoa for teens is not interesting what would be is a book around a group who has powers and can do cool things. Its why the school I think works far better than the mutation nation.
    I mean to be fair Champions is also fairly popular, although it has less baggage and addresses the same issues probably from a better place to an extent.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I'm honestly seeing less and less teenagers reading X-Men nowadays. I know they exist, but among teen Marvel comic readers even the Champions resonates more with them.

Is it just me?
    Manga seems more popular with teens than mainstream American comics, though some original YA graphic novels are popular too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...-academia/amp/

Really relying on comics to get teens into X-Men is a lost cause, you need more other media content.

Mighty Member

Alternatives such as Manga and Webtoon are cheaper, easily available, and easier to get into than comics.

As for current X-Men comics as much as I am enjoying most of the Krakoa era and it did get me back into reading X-Men books regularly, the themes of these books may not appeal to a younger audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Comics are like $5 for 10 seconds of reading. I'm surprised you see teens with floppies at all.
    This is it.

Comes are too expensive. And teens as a fanbase for comics just aren't that big anymore. The readers are mostly adults.

teenagers do read but not comics but MANGA.

For teenagers and young audiences Manga / anime >>>>>> comics.

And with a huge margin of difference, the data is there, and it is irrefutable.

If it weren't for the MCU and Disney + and Marvel I'd be dead, and no extracts the mutant comcis nowadays are horrible.

Western comics are just not a consumer-friendly medium atm. Too expensive, too short, and keeping up with the stories on a weekly basis requires a lot of space if you are a collector.

It's no wonder Manga overtook it among younger audiences, as it addresses most of the above.