Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    I'm not actually sure he ever called her "Mary Marvel"! There were definitely "Captains Marvel" and "the lady Captain Marvel" references, and they shared empowering Freddy (so he was technically calling on *both* of them - Ordway had the power actually split, so they were most powerful when only one was powered up, and much less so when all three were)

She also aged up like Billy when powered up - indeed, Ordway made explicit that they turned into their parents in an altered-universe arc where they survived and got the power. (Mary's white costume effectively came from that arc - while there was no in-continuity link to the change, her mum had a white costume, and Mary changed the very next issue. Clearly, he liked the effect of them all in different colours)
    Truly ingenious when he came up with the new color-scheme. To this day, I still love the contrast (XD)

Did she even appear in the cartoon-proper? (I'm actually not sure). I only brought it up because it was an easy-to-get example of merch avoiding the "Marvel" name even with her.
    LOL! I only remember Mary's appearance from...

Justice League Unlimited #20

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-07-2022 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

So she wasn't in the JLU show, but was in the tie-in comic - why then, does that action figure have a red costume, and the comic, a white one? You'd think they'd match!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So she wasn't in the JLU show, but was in the tie-in comic - why then, does that action figure have a red costume, and the comic, a white one? You'd think they'd match!
    Merch works in mysterious ways...

Incredible Member

I'm sorry... wut? That YJ thing sounds like absolute, pointless character assassination.

You're overthinking it. The people who made the toy probably didn't know about the comic (Note that it's not just the colours that don't match - the toy has an Ordway-esque costume; the comic, despite the colour scheme, has a 70s one).

There have been non-show characters and versions of characters in toylines for as long as there have been toylines based on shows (or vice-versa, depending on your POV). Usually, it's an excuse to reuse (expensive) injection moulds or bulk out a multipack. This was probably both (virtually all the standard-human JLU toys either reused pieces from other toys or had pieces from them reused in other toys).

It's worse - what happened to Mary also happened to Kara Zor-El, they're both pawns of Darkseid. And it doesn't look like we're getting a season 5 to heel face turn them.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

It's worse - what happened to Mary also happened to Kara Zor-El, they're both pawns of Darkseid. And it doesn't look like we're getting a season 5 to heel face turn them.
    Yeesh. Especially since brainwashed female pawns of Darkseid, is just another way of saying concubines of Darkseid.

I guess the Magic Rabbit is just here to stay for now.

Also I wonder how Mary heard about Malik because clearly she’s searching him out during Lazarus Planet. And for those who don’t know Malik is a new character from the Black Adam book, he’s a med-student who happens to be the descendant of Adam and who Adam forcibly shared his powers with when he thought he was dying.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Also, why does she randomly have trousers for one panel?

Also, why does she randomly have trousers for one panel?
    DC: uhh…magic?

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

First her skirt looks longer than her Shaner design and then she's suddenly wearing pants .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    First her skirt looks longer than her Shaner design and then she's suddenly wearing pants .
    Is the universe in flux or something?

Yeah, it is, actually. World's Finest has both Billy and Supergirl present when Dick was still Robin. Kara should be older than she is (she's supposedly 21) if she was active before Dick became Nightwing. And Billy had his mouth sealed, preventing him from becoming Shazam (why would the demonic villain of the piece do that if he didn't have his powers?). The story is set in the silver age, so he very much shouldn't be around (not only was Captain Marvel NOT around in the silver age and was an AU character when originally reintroduced in 1971, in current continuity he only got his powers two years ago).

The Shazam family are among several groups who need their timelines straightening out.

Yeah, it is, actually. World's Finest has both Billy and Supergirl present when Dick was still Robin. Kara should be older than she is (she's supposedly 21) if she was active before Dick became Nightwing. And Billy had his mouth sealed, preventing him from becoming Shazam (why would the demonic villain of the piece do that if he didn't have his powers?). The story is set in the silver age, so he very much shouldn't be around (not only was Captain Marvel NOT around in the silver age and was an AU character when originally reintroduced in 1971, in current continuity he only got his powers two years ago).

The Shazam family are among several groups who need their timelines straightening out.
    I assumed the worlds finest just reestablished he’s had his powers during the age of 8-10 range and now that he’s older (I assume college age-ish like Mary?) he’s been Shazam longer.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I assumed the worlds finest just reestablished he’s had his powers during the age of 8-10 range and now that he’s older (I assume college age-ish like Mary?) he’s been Shazam longer.
    Billy being closer in age to Mary would be nice if it means they re-establish they're bio siblings again. I never liked her being older than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Billy being closer in age to Mary would be nice if it means they re-establish they're bio siblings again. I never liked her being older than him.
    Agreed. The only time I liked Mary being the older/big sister to Billy was when she was in her Mary Marvel - transformed state...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 12-18-2022 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.