Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I can’t wait for the new series! I gave up on the last Shazam book…did Mary and/or the rest of the family ever get their long-rumored code names?

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I can’t wait for the new series! I gave up on the last Shazam book…did Mary and/or the rest of the family ever get their long-rumored code names?
    As far as I am aware, no.

And for anybody interested, there is this separate thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    The New Champion of Shazam #1 Preview (Unlettered) + Interview
    Writer: Josie Campbell
    Artist: Doc Shaner

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as I am aware, no.
    Unfortunately, correct. They never did get new codenames.

The DC Legends mobile game calls the main three Shazam, Mary Shazam and Freddy Shazam, which would presumably make the other three (who aren't in the game) Eugene Shazam, Pedro Shazam and Darla Shazam. But the comics never gave them codenames at all. There's also merchandise that calls Mary and Freddy "Lady Shazam" and "Shazam Jr", so there's not even any consistency.

Teen Titans Academy does have Donna call Billy "Captain freaking Shazam", and then later he admits to having another name, Captain M... he was interrupted while saying it. It may just be that they go back to being the Marvels. I did notice in that interview about Mary's new book, that her costume is designed as being "a Mary Marvel suit and a Captain Marvel suit".
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-09-2022 at 05:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The wiki has her birthdate as 2000 - and the show's present day is 2020, right? Which means she's 20 now, and would've been 11 in season 1. Her already being Sargeant Marvel then doesn't make sense, Billy hadn't shared his powers with Mary and Freddy yet had he? Wouldn't she have gotten her powers in the timeskip between the first two seasons, meaning she'd be somewhere between 12 and 16 at the time?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The wiki has her birthdate as 2000 - and the show's present day is 2020, right? Which means she's 20 now, and would've been 11 in season 1. Her already being Sargeant Marvel then doesn't make sense, Billy hadn't shared his powers with Mary and Freddy yet had he? Wouldn't she have gotten her powers in the timeskip between the first two seasons, meaning she'd be somewhere between 12 and 16 at the time?
    But who created the 'wiki' and is it supposedly gospel?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's believable. Not only abusing the power but using it in a way to do more adult things and trying to grow up to fast.

But as usual....everything Greg says here and the fan asks is far more interesting than what we were given on screen. We shouldn't have to fill in all of these blanks because he wants to play with all the toys in the sandbox. If we get a S5 and we dont get an episode solely dedicated to fleshing out these flashbacks (which we probably wouldnt) i'll be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's believable. Not only abusing the power but using it in a way to do more adult things and trying to grow up to fast.

But as usual....everything Greg says here and the fan asks is far more interesting than what we were given on screen. We shouldn't have to fill in all of these blanks because he wants to play with all the toys in the sandbox. If we get a S5 and we dont get an episode solely dedicated to fleshing out these flashbacks (which we probably wouldnt) i'll be annoyed.
    It sounds like it would've been pretty problematic and skeevy if not handled correctly or deftly. I'm not sure I want to give them that much credit when I didn't care for their writing of Mary in general.

I always view Mary as being pretty mature and sure of herself, which her upcoming comic is leaning into, so that's another thing that bothers me about it. I also just don't think it fits the Marvel Family as a concept. But we're talking about creators who thought Countdown was a good thing to base their take on the character from.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It sounds like it would've been pretty problematic and skeevy if not handled correctly or deftly. I'm not sure I want to give them that much credit when I didn't care for their writing of Mary in general.

I always view Mary as being pretty mature and sure of herself, which her upcoming comic is leaning into, so that's another thing that bothers me about it. I also just don't think it fits the Marvel Family as a concept. But we're talking about creators who thought Countdown was a good thing to base their take on the character from.
    I think (for me) they've proven that they can deal with subject matters very well that they wouldnt have gone anywhere to uncomfortable if we had seen of it on the show. Not like we would've seen her having sex with anyone. Kissing/flirting with an older boy/Dick? Probably. This is the same show that had M'Gann and Conner roleplaying with her pretending to be Canary....

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Noserings for everyone!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think (for me) they've proven that they can deal with subject matters very well that they wouldnt have gone anywhere to uncomfortable if we had seen of it on the show. Not like we would've seen her having sex with anyone. Kissing/flirting with an older boy/Dick? Probably. This is the same show that had M'Gann and Conner roleplaying with her pretending to be Canary....
    For me it's half and half. I think they mean well but don't always hit the mark (and with Mary I don't really care for their take in general, so...).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

"Look, I told you I was 18! Now, I want a tattoo that says 'Carol Danvers can suck it!' and if you won't give me one, I'll find a tattoo artist who will!"
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Unfortunately, correct. They never did get new codenames.

The DC Legends mobile game calls the main three Shazam, Mary Shazam and Freddy Shazam, which would presumably make the other three (who aren't in the game) Eugene Shazam, Pedro Shazam and Darla Shazam. But the comics never gave them codenames at all. There's also merchandise that calls Mary and Freddy "Lady Shazam" and "Shazam Jr", so there's not even any consistency.

Teen Titans Academy does have Donna call Billy "Captain freaking Shazam", and then later he admits to having another name, Captain M... he was interrupted while saying it. It may just be that they go back to being the Marvels. I did notice in that interview about Mary's new book, that her costume is designed as being "a Mary Marvel suit and a Captain Marvel suit".
    Mary Shazam may be one of the worst superhero names in all of comics. Mary Marvel is alliterative and classic.

Kind of amazing that even after appearing in a big budget movie they still don’t officially have codenames.

Meh, just another repeat of the same old tired trope of 'women gets powers and goes crazy and thus unworthy of her power'. Just like Jean Grey, Scarlet Witch, even Zatanna got a dose of that trope in the JLD movie when her powers went haywire and in Identity Crisis and its the guiding principle behind events like Amazons Attack.

Mary Marvel is meant to present wish fulfillment and escapism. Doing this with her opens a whole can of worms especially when she is a part of Billy's world and it creates a double standard. Like why does Billy get to enjoy his powers and not her?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly