Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Mary Shazam may be one of the worst superhero names in all of comics. Mary Marvel is alliterative and classic.

Kind of amazing that even after appearing in a big budget movie they still don’t officially have codenames.
    I say they should go with Mighty Mary. Alliterative and it feels old school.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

They do need to sort that out. Young Justice calls her Sergeant, so Mary's lack of a current comic codename has left her with four different aliases in other media.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Meh, just another repeat of the same old tired trope of 'women gets powers and goes crazy and thus unworthy of her power'. Just like Jean Grey, Scarlet Witch, even Zatanna got a dose of that trope in the JLD movie when her powers went haywire and in Identity Crisis and its the guiding principle behind events like Amazons Attack.

Mary Marvel is meant to present wish fulfillment and escapism. Doing this with her opens a whole can of worms especially when she is a part of Billy's world and it creates a double standard. Like why does Billy get to enjoy his powers and not her?
    Agreed.

It also gives the implication that Billy was more "special" because despite growing up in foster care and a more unique family situation he somehow had a better handle on his powers than Mary did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They do need to sort that out. Young Justice calls her Sergeant, so Mary's lack of a current comic codename has left her with four different aliases in other media.
    Yeah, I don't really care for the YJ codenames.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It does and that's the primary reason I think they won't go with it. They seem allergic to anything that would be construed as corny or old school.

There is no "Mary Marvel" over at Marvel like there was a Captain Marvel. I think she can just stay Mary Marvel.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It does and that's the primary reason I think they won't go with it. They seem allergic to anything that would be construed as corny or old school.

There is no "Mary Marvel" over at Marvel like there was a Captain Marvel. I think she can just stay Mary Marvel.
    Agreed. Keep Mary Marvel as Mary Marvel. Or just take Sgt.Shazam.....or rename everyone something Thunder.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

Ignorant of the character and all, but I think Mary Marvel sounds like the best name for the character - fits with the look and all.

The Amazing Mary Marvel.

But if I get to offer suggestions for funsies, I'll throw in Lady Lightning or Lady Thunder or Amazing Mary. Has a nice vintage ring that fits her costume.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 07-10-2022 at 03:20 PM.

Yeah, I feel like even if you give her another name people will just default to "Mary Marvel" because it's more memorable and easier to associate with Mary...and it's just a fun name.

Astonishing Member

Even "Shazam Mary" would be better than "Mary Shazam".

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Even "Shazam Mary" would be better than "Mary Shazam".
    I don't think they need to be so strict with the "Shazam" name...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think they need to be so strict with the "Shazam" name...
    Especially if it's her secret power word.

In the old, old days, there was humor when Freddy had to find a way around saying he was "Captain Marvel Junior" since "Captain Marvel" was his "Shazam"-phrase.

If ALL of the Shazamites have to deal with it being their name / power-word, it gets ridiculous.

Oh you want more contemporary? How about 'The Totally Based Mary Marvel' in her first story arc titled 'i'm screaming' followed 'i'm deadass teaming up with Billy Batso!!XD!!".

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

The problem is that she wouldn't then be consistent with the rest of the family. How does it make sense for her to be Mary MARVEL if Billy is Shazam and Freddy is Shazam Jr?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The problem is that she wouldn't then be consistent with the rest of the family. How does it make sense for her to be Mary MARVEL if Billy is Shazam and Freddy is Shazam Jr?
    So just go with "Captain Marvelous", "Mary Marvelous", "Captain Marvelous Jr.", "Uncle Marvelous", the three "Lieutenant Marvelous" (Marvelouses?), etc.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They are barely in publication anyway. No one would notice.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So just go with "Captain Marvelous", "Mary Marvelous", "Captain Marvelous Jr.", "Uncle Marvelous", the three "Lieutenant Marvelous" (Marvelouses?), etc.
    Toei would probably complain, lol - Captain Marvelous is the civilian name of Gokai Red, the Super Sentai counterpart of the Super Megaforce Red Power Ranger. Of course, he's named after Marvel Comics, since they were involved with three of the old Sentai seasons....