Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I'm pretty disappointed. Punchline is a character with an absolutely fantastic premise - an internet radicalized sociopath who is radicalizing others - and without being an explicit political analogue for any "side" - but Howard is a preachy and obnoxious writer, so I fully expect it'll just turn into a lazy, shallow, and painful allegory immediately.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    But I'm excited to see a female writer's take on her.
    I still don't why people think that will do anything for the quality of the book, a good chunk of the best and most influential stories of DCs most popular female characters have been written by male writers (and I think they were all created by male writers as well...).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed. Punchline is a character with an absolutely fantastic premise - an internet radicalized sociopath who is radicalizing others - and without being an explicit political analogue for any "side" - but Howard is a preachy and obnoxious writer, so I fully expect it'll just turn into a lazy, shallow, and painful allegory immediately.
    The truth hurts. Punchline is a very obvious jab at one political side and to pretend otherwise is to ignore the writing on her back up story in the Joker solo especially the last issue. Howard is the exactly right writer for the job in my view. People usually only accuse others of being preachy when they disagree with their viewpoint, so it would have been more honest if you had said that rather than ranting on.
    Last edited by Top Hat; 07-26-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I still don't why people think that will do anything for the quality of the book, a good chunk of the best and most influential stories of DCs most popular female characters have been written by male writers (and I think they were all created by male writers as well...).
    That has more to do with the fact that male writers have always been in the vast majority in the industry.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    The truth hurts. Punchline is a very obvious jab at one political side and to pretend otherwise is to ignore the writing on her back up story in the Joker solo especially the last issue. Howard is the exactly right writer for the job in my view. People usually only accuse others of being preachy when they disagree with their viewpoint, so it would have been more honest if you had said that rather than ranting on.
    I like many writers and stories that don't agree with me, and dislike several writers and stories that do. Take your scolding somewhere else.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

That is not true punchline can be any side of the political spectrum. The point is that she took advantage of internet fame and people's admiration of her to achieve her own goals.

She is a prime example of an interner grifter and those ones go whatever way is most convenient for them. More often than not they swing from one side to another, depending on what's considered contrarian at the time. In punchline's case she's a fake anarchist for now and trying to make the joker a martyr.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

It's just interesting to see punchline from a female perspective and how they interpret her.

Extraordinary Member

That has more to do with the fact that male writers have always been in the vast majority in the industry.
    Maybe but DC has now mainly given female led books to female for the past 10 years or so, can't say that I'm particularly impressed by the results sofar.

Maybe but DC has now mainly given female led books to female for the past 10 years or so, can't say that I'm particularly impressed by the results sofar.
    Well that's your opinion and it's your right to have one. Not like I can do anything about that . I'm just interested to see if Howard will add anything to Punchline/Bluebird's dynamic. And what she'll do with the whole e-girl/celeb villain with a legion of loyal followers thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    No wonder Gleb is on the Punchline comic. Anyway looking forward to those two emo girls duking it out.

And when Punchline is written to outmatch her in every way and always be 5000 steps ahead, it will go back to the same basic problem with her. It's hard for me to have hope in any compelling Punchline story when she pretty much never loses or actually struggles.

This is kind of unexpected. I mean, they're both villain sidekicks I guess?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    And when Punchline is written to outmatch her in every way and always be 5000 steps ahead, it will go back to the same basic problem with her. It's hard for me to have hope in any compelling Punchline story when she pretty much never loses or actually struggles.
    We already saw her loose

Punchline is in the legion of doom for dark crisis

We already saw her loose
    she gets beaten up in every physical fight. she needs her fanboys/fangirls to do the heavy lifting