Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    That would be a League Champion. The show and the writers have never explained what a Pokemon Master is and according to one of the Pokemon wikis they want to keep it up to the imagination of the younger fans. Even the remakes of the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games removed any mention of Pokemon Master from them.

Back on topic

I liked all of the jobs Peter has had, but photographer would probably be better for him. Just from my experience having taken a photography course, there are plenty of options for him as a photographer which doesn't have to involve the Daily Bugle. Though from an in-universe reason I can see how the Bugle probably had a negative impact on him considering Photography as a career or source of money.
    To me, Peter as a photographer was when he was a high school/college student. I want to see Parker get his Ph.D and become a legitimate scientist who could appear in the pages of The X-Men, Captain Marvel, and The Hulk. It would be a major stepping stone towards developing story plot lines that would open doors to situations that we have not seen before.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    At this point i view Peter as the Homer Simpson of Superheroes, has numerous joba but ultimately goes back to doing stuff he was classically iconic from to the point its pop culturally expected, like i said either a free lance worker or a photographer.
    I actually think that the "iconic-ness" of Peter as a photographer has been decreasing in recent years, as neither the Webb nor MCU films have featured him in that role. The same can be said for the Insomniac game, or even the most recent animated shows.

This is, of course, speculation, but perhaps Marvel is stepping away from freelance photography as being Peter's expected profession?
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I actually think that the "iconic-ness" of Peter as a photographer has been decreasing in recent years, as neither the Webb nor MCU films have featured him in that role. The same can be said for the Insomniac game, or even the most recent animated shows.

This is, of course, speculation, but perhaps Marvel is stepping away from freelance photography as being Peter's expected profession?
    If it helps, the 2017 animated series had him working for The Daily Bugle as a videographer using a drone camera to catch footage of himself in action as Spider-Man that he could then sell to Jameson. Even ended up being a motivating factor in the creation of Venom, as Eddie Brock was jealous and resentful at being shown up by a high schooler and the symbiote exploited and magnified that to make him into Venom.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The MCU eventually introduced the Bugle as a significant factor in the last two Spider-Man movies.

He was still a photographer in ASM2 they just didn't really do much with it. Like he had a text message exchange with Jonah (what a waste in NWH that neither Spider-Man reacted to him being there). It was oddly more plot relevant in the video games where there was a camera gimmick and Peter got paired with Whitney Chang.

MCU Peter didn't have a dayjob or even needed one because he was relying on Stark money and Avengers status.

The Insomniac games established he used to work at the Bugle before his science job with Otto (which also didn't last).
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If it helps, the 2017 animated series had him working for The Daily Bugle as a videographer using a drone camera to catch footage of himself in action as Spider-Man that he could then sell to Jameson. Even ended up being a motivating factor in the creation of Venom, as Eddie Brock was jealous and resentful at being shown up by a high schooler and the symbiote exploited and magnified that to make him into Venom.
    The really should've done more with the Bugle. But I can say that about a lot of elements of the 2017 show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The MCU eventually introduced the Bugle as a significant factor in the last two Spider-Man movies.

He was still a photographer in ASM2 they just didn't really do much with it. Like he had a text message exchange with Jonah (what a waste in NWH that neither Spider-Man reacted to him being there). It was oddly more plot relevant in the video games where there was a camera gimmick and Peter got paired with Whitney Chang.

MCU Peter didn't have a dayjob or even needed one because he was relying on Stark money and Avengers status.

The Insomniac games established he used to work at the Bugle before his science job with Otto (which also didn't last).

The really should've done more with the Bugle. But I can say that about a lot of elements of the 2017 show.
    I'm not saying that the Bugle itself is becoming less important, or even that JJJ is becoming less iconic. I'm talking about Peter's role as a photographer specifically. I think the fact that Peter's photography has been relegated to either being left out altogether or a background detail is undeniably a different approach compared to earlier adaptations where it was front-and-center (ex. Raimi films, 90s show especially but even TNAS and Spectacular to some extent, etc). This is especially noticeable when paired with the fact that he hasn't been a photographer in the comics for over a decade.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I'm not saying that the Bugle itself is becoming less important, or even that JJJ is becoming less iconic. I'm talking about Peter's role as a photographer specifically. I think the fact that Peter's photography has been relegated to either being left out altogether or a background detail is undeniably a different approach compared to earlier adaptations where it was front-and-center (ex. Raimi films, 90s show especially but even TNAS and Spectacular to some extent, etc). This is especially noticeable when paired with the fact that he hasn't been a photographer in the comics for over a decade.
    I think part of it is that most adaptions these days also don't really focus on Peter having a life outside being Spider-Man or having a job he takes to make ends meat.

And other than Horizon or Parker Industries Peter hasn't really had a stable job in years. At least one with actual longevity.

I think part of it is that most adaptions these days also don't really focus on Peter having a life outside being Spider-Man or having a job he takes to make ends meat.

And other than Horizon or Parker Industries Peter hasn't really had a stable job in years. At least one with actual longevity.
    Eh, while I agree to some extent, I do think that Insomniac, the 2017 cartoon, and both the Webb and MCU films have focused enough on Peter's life outside being Spider-Man (despite some issues I have with how some of those portrayals actually do this). The films certainly focus less on Peter needing a part-time occupation, but I think that's part of my point, in that Marvel seems less interested in portraying Peter needing to work for the Bugle to make ends meet. If they considered it an essential part of the character, they are certainly capable of re-tooling the story so it's a more essential plot point.

I actually disagree with your other statement. Since 2008, Peter's occupation has been pretty consistent from Horizon, to Parker Industries, to working as a grad student. I think each of those lasted for around 5+ years, which is decently stable in this current era of constant shake-ups and upheavals for temporary sales boosts. Although to be fair, I guess the grad student occupation was an afterthought for most of Spencer's run, and has been completely forgotten about since Spencer left.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 07-17-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Eh, while I agree to some extent, I do think that Insomniac, the 2017 cartoon, and both the Webb and MCU films have focused enough on Peter's life outside being Spider-Man (despite some issues I have with how some of those portrayals actually do this). The films certainly focus less on Peter needing a part-time occupation, but I think that's part of my point, in that Marvel seems less interested in portraying Peter needing to work for the Bugle to make ends meet. If they considered it an essential part of the character, they are certainly capable of re-tooling the story so it's a more essential plot point.
    I think with 2017 and the MCU his life outside Spider-Man was basically...just going to high school, but it wasn't developed enough or handled near as well as, say, Spectacular. And even then I don't think they were focused on that much.

Insomniac we got the science job and him showing up at FEAST even if that wasn't a lot of the game.

In the Webb films he was too focused on just Gwen in my opinion.

I mean, I think Marvel often misses the mark about what is essential about the character in general...
    I actually disagree with your other statement. Since 2008, Peter's occupation has been pretty consistent from Horizon, to Parker Industries, to working as a grad student. I think each of those lasted for around 5+ years, which is decently stable in this current era of constant shake-ups and upheavals for temporary sales boosts. Although to be fair, I guess the grad student occupation was an afterthought for most of Spencer's run, and has been completely forgotten about since Spencer left.
    To me Horizon feels like it just breezed by for the amount of time it was...and Parker Industries was just one big blip.

I don't view Grad Student as really much of a job.

I mean, I think Marvel often misses the mark about what is essential about the character in general...
    which is what exactly?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    which is what exactly?
    His relationships. His maturity. His down-to-Earth nature. His competency.

BANNED

His relationships. His maturity. His down-to-Earth nature. His competency.
    Besides the first ones, Dont these aspects have to be a defined as flawed and underminded to show how unlike Superman or other Paragons, Peters just to Human and Unorthodox to be truly like the former. If hes to mature, he not interesting and fun to see him act around other characters who already act more mature and straight man, being to down to earth makes him another boring npc type as Peter is an eccentric nerd who tinkers with gadgets and is always doting after girls hes in love with, and if hes too competant your literally destroying the core of his all to known underdog blessed with suck nature, hed lose everything that made him the most iconic marvel hero, hes the Superhero that acts like his fans(almost)!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Besides the first ones, Dont these aspects have to be a defined as flawed and underminded to show how unlike Superman or other Paragons, Peters just to Human and Unorthodox to be truly like the former. If hes to mature, he not interesting and fun to see him act around other characters who already act more mature and straight man, being to down to earth makes him another boring npc type as Peter is an eccentric nerd who tinkers with gadgets and is always doting after girls hes in love with, and if hes too competant your literally destroying the core of his all to known underdog blessed with suck nature, hed lose everything that made him the most iconic marvel hero, hes the Superhero that acts like his fans(almost)!
    I mean, I grew up with a Peter who was mature and competent, so it never bothered me.

Astonishing Member

I mean, I grew up with a Peter who was mature and competent, so it never bothered me.
    People have different definitions of what constitutes competent. Writers make sure that even Peter’s wins are bittersweet to some degree which I feel knocks down the competence points a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    People have different definitions of what constitutes competent. Writers make sure that even Peter’s wins are bittersweet to some degree which I feel knocks down the competence points a bit.
    I think that more has to do with the situation, which isn't always in his control, than his actual competency.

Astonishing Member

I think that more has to do with the situation, which isn't always in his control, than his actual competency.
    Which is why Peter works best as a university scientist.....