Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I just read that as being non-committal.
    That's one way to look at it. Another is why give up something that has always worked? Including an iconic supporting cast?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    That's one way to look at it. Another is why give up something that has always worked? Including an iconic supporting cast?
    Is it really working if all it does is pull him apart and stress him out?

Extraordinary Member

Is it really working if all it does is pull him apart and stress him out?
    Characters without any real conflict really don't make for great stories. There's a reason most end at "happily ever after." There's no more story to tell at that point (at least not interesting and engaging stories).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Characters without any real conflict really don't make for great stories. There's a reason most end at "happily ever after." There's no more story to tell at that point (at least not interesting and engaging stories).
    I'll remember to quote this whenever people complain that Peter can't grow up.

The "why give up something that works" is the kind of mentality that makes comic books be this stagnant, but hey, at this point actual developments barely happen to begin with, at best, we get runs that throw some bullshit gimmick and then at the end the reset button is smashed.

It's pretty fucked up if you think about it in-universe lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

I'll remember to quote this whenever people complain that Peter can't grow up.
    You can grow up without abandoning the very foundation the character is built on. I mean, the biggest complaint people seem to have about editorial not wanting him to grow up is the dissolution of the marriage, not about having the faultless carefree civilian life you seem to be in favor of.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The "why give up something that works" is the kind of mentality that makes comic books be this stagnant, but hey, at this point actual developments barely happen to begin with, at best, we get runs that throw some bullshit gimmick and then at the end the reset button is smashed.
    I mean, take what works and go forward and shed what doesn't. Mix in some stuff that you think might. Rinse, lather, repeat.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-20-2022 at 02:43 PM.

I actually agree that the Bugle freelancing is his most interesting job but I equally also think that it's not a fitting job for a grown man. Lowkey this is why young/teenage/college Peter has always been the best version of his character. None of these problems exist for him

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I actually agree that the Bugle freelancing is his most interesting job but I equally also think that it's not a fitting job for a grown man. Lowkey this is why young/teenage/college Peter has always been the best version of his character. None of these problems exist for him
    I guess I had more experience with him doing it as an adult, so it didn't really feel that way to me, but I guess collectively taking into account he did it when he was a teenager...

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

My major issue with the Bugle is it just feels like Peter hasn't progressed in life since he was 15. Working at the Bugle was really just supposed to be a part time job for Peter to get some extra spending money/help out his aunt during his school/college years. He always wanted to be a scientist, he's one of the smartest people on the planet, and he has all the connections and resources he'd need to achieve his dream. Being a successful researcher or professor doesn't have to mean that he no longer has any personal problems to deal with, or that we need to abandon the supporting cast at the Bugle. At this point, if Peter were to go back into photography/journalism it would just feel like character regression and a fear of progress on Marvel's part, in my opinion.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    My major issue with the Bugle is it just feels like Peter hasn't progressed in life since he was 15. Working at the Bugle was really just supposed to be a part time job for Peter to get some extra spending money/help out his aunt during his school/college years. He always wanted to be a scientist, he's one of the smartest people on the planet, and he has all the connections and resources he'd need to achieve his dream. Being a successful researcher or professor doesn't have to mean that he no longer has any personal problems to deal with, or that we need to abandon the supporting cast at the Bugle. At this point, if Peter were to go back into photography/journalism it would just feel like character regression and a fear of progress on Marvel's part, in my opinion.
    That is like saying a guy who starts in the mail room at a big company and works his way up to middle management hasn't progressed. There is a difference between being a freelance photographer at 15-16 and being on staff as a reporter or editor in his late 20s.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That is like saying a guy who starts in the mail room at a big company and works his way up to middle management hasn't progressed. There is a difference between being a freelance photographer at 15-16 and being on staff as a reporter or editor in his late 20s.
    Except Peter isn't a reporter or editor. Peter's journalism arc started and ended with him being a freelance photographer, with the small exception of when he released that book of Spider-Man photos in the 90s. So I think it's very fair to say there's been no progress on that front.

I think the closest thing you could argue was when he was a science journalist for like 10 issues, but that job literally came out of nowhere and left just as fast. And at this point in his life, it makes even less sense for Peter to become a reporter/editor than a photographer, since at least photography is something he has some established interest and skill in. No one would hire Peter to be a journalist or editor, and there's really no reason he'd want to be an editor unless something was contrived to make it happen.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Extraordinary Member

Except Peter isn't a reporter or editor. Peter's journalism arc started and ended with him being a freelance photographer, with the small exception of when he released that book of Spider-Man photos in the 90s. So I think it's very fair to say there's been no progress on that front.

I think the closest thing you could argue was when he was a science journalist for like 10 issues, but that job literally came out of nowhere and left just as fast. And at this point in his life, it makes even less sense for Peter to become a reporter/editor than a photographer, since at least photography is something he has some established interest and skill in. No one would hire Peter to be a journalist or editor, and there's really no reason he'd want to be an editor unless something was contrived to make it happen.
    That is what I am talking about...when he was science editor. If they had not pulled the rug our from under him with the plagiarism thing then I think that would have worked well for him for a career. He was the science editor because of his science background..but also being able to put break the science down to things everyday people could better understand.

Again - for me - I was first introduced to him in the job when he was an adult working at the Bugle (90's cartoon, movies, games, etc.) so it never felt like something he had to grow out of and just a natural career for him that balances out his Spidey stuff quite well.

And I feel like writers have struggled to make any science job stick or be interesting enough in the long-run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Again - for me - I was first introduced to him in the job when he was an adult working at the Bugle (90's cartoon, movies, games, etc.) so it never felt like something he had to grow out of and just a natural career for him that balances out his Spidey stuff quite well.

And I feel like writers have struggled to make any science job stick or be interesting enough in the long-run.
    To me, the science jobs were always more interesting than “GET ME PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!”.

The Bugle itself really got stale as the series went on. That’s they have to have a supervillain infiltrate the business every now and then.

He was the science editor because of his science background..but also being able to put break the science down to things everyday people could better understand.
    Yeah, but being an editor is a boring job. You want pages and pages of him sitting there correcting documents? Being a photographer, we can incorporate his job into his superhero stuff.

Plus it gives more story hooks. Photographers are actually sent places on assignments. Nobody is going to send an editor to the latest scientific breakthrough and/or monster sighting.