Thread: Pete's career

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Pete's career

I'm not really keeping up with the current goings on with Spidey, but the last time I did he just lost his job as Science Editor of the Daily Bugle (practically when he first got it), which I thought was a real shame. While I thought editor was a bit high up the ladder for someone who's never really done much of the writing side of newspaper work (science writer/reporter would've been better, imho), I thought this was a perfect combination of his two non-superhero worlds. While the JMS run was the last real time I enjoyed Spider-Man, I can see how being a high school teacher might age him up more than TPTB are comfortable with, especially since he's directly mentoring kids who were around his age when he first started as Spider-Man (which only highlights his age even more). But as a science reporter/writer, he could still have all the other trials and tribulations of someone perpetually in their 20s, while seemingly progressing in his life.

Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attn as previously mentioned, but it seems as if Marvel has had a hard time nailing down one specific job for Pete. Anyone have a favorite or any ideas for a new one that could maybe stick around for awhile?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Last I checked, during Nick Spencer's run, he was in graduate studies at Empire State University trying to (re)earn his doctorate, and according to the Ghost-Spider series around that time, he became Curt Connors's teaching assistant. That said, I'd think the reason Marvel has a hard time nailing down a specific job for Peter is that Marvel has a hard time letting Peter progress meaningfully beyond the classic status quo in the first place.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Last I checked, during Nick Spencer's run, he was in graduate studies at Empire State University trying to (re)earn his doctorate, and according to the Ghost-Spider series around that time, he became Curt Connors's teaching assistant. That said, I'd think the reason Marvel has a hard time nailing down a specific job for Peter is that Marvel has a hard time letting Peter progress meaningfully beyond the classic status quo in the first place.
    Preach Brother Huntsman Spider...AMEN!!

i predict another forced scandal... (let's see, you had Jonah calling him out for a doctored photo, then the "plagiarism" for when Otto had his body..) and another "reboot" after that..

I'd like to see Peter... nah, it would be written to end in disaster, anyway...

idk but its time for something to stick. Peter should be at a point where he completely balances his personal life and superhero life.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Will we ever get a job that lasts as long as the Bugle did?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    idk but its time for something to stick. Peter should be at a point where he completely balances his personal life and superhero life.
    Awesome. I love stories with no conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Spencer had NO IDEA what to do with Pete or how to write him...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Preach Brother Huntsman Spider...AMEN!!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Spencer had NO IDEA what to do with Pete or how to write him...
    I think he had some good ideas, at least in the beginning. We may never know how much of what transpired later in that run was down to him and/or down to interference from higher up, given all the allusions to One More Day that ultimately went nowhere.
    The spider is always on the hunt.