Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    My experience with photographer Peter was the Raimi movies and the 90s cartoon where he was a college student. It's one thing for Peter to look for some extra cash while he's still in school and working another job and another for an almost 30 year old guy to still be photographing and doing the same stuff he did as a teenager. There's just no growth. If the goal is to just stick to the most iconic moments of the series, then Loeb was on the right track when he was making Peter younger but no one wants that. They want progression but still keep hallmarks of the old iconic stories even though 616 Peter is supposed to be at the end of his 20s at this point
    I guess to me it mattered more that he was an adult than that he was a college student. Of course the relationships in the Bugle and Peter's own character changed a lot so I feel like there was growth in that sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It's a different dynamic because they made it so, Bugle could easily just follow lazy tropes and be a Planet clone and not much else, but they did something cool with it to make it work.
    It goes both ways. The worst Perry White is one step away from being J. Jonah Jameson.
    A science job could do that too, I don't expect that to happen, writing cool new characters is hard even if writers decided to bother, but it could happen, same way Bugle was made to be such a different experience compared to Planet, but interesting in its own way.
    It's just we've seen them try science jobs numerous times and they never seem to stick/land quite as well.
    His money problems all happen because JJ underpays him all the time, even when Peter grows a pair and demands higher payment, JJ may mentally note the pictures are worth more.

News media can be relevant or whatever, but Bugle has been fake news for most of its existence, so if we use real life to compare, Peter should move the **** away from it, not that I think we should use silly real life stuff to interfere too much with comics, specially if we risk getting another Secret Empire lol.
    It's still been enough for him to get by...

The Bugle is only really fake news when it comes to Spider-Man, everywhere else it's generally a bastion of good, decent, journalism, which is the funny thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Bugle is only really fake news when it comes to Spider-Man, everywhere else it's generally a bastion of good, decent, journalism, which is the funny thing.
    Which, like Peter's talent for photography, fluctuates based on the story. There are lots of stories where the Bugle takes a non-Spider-Man story and gets it wrong. Granted the only person who could point out the flaws was often Spider-Man, and he's not really a valid source.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I see this, but it could also be that Peter expects too much for amateur work since the quality of Peter's photos vary from story to story. We can't place all of the blame on Jonah.

That's why I feel like Peter should be looking elsewhere.
    Let's also remember that Jonah is not at the Bugle anymore...Robbie is the boss.

Astonishing Member

You're right. I was naive of me to think that Peter could actually grow up. Painfully naive.
    So if he did work in a lab and not the Bugle, you honestly would expect a different result? Honest question.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

It's just we've seen them try science jobs numerous times and they never seem to stick/land quite as well.
    They really don't, do they?

True. Whenever there's a news story featuring JJ that doesn't involve Spider-Man, the guy almost has as much integrity as Steve Rogers.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    So if he did work in a lab and not the Bugle, you honestly would expect a different result? Honest question.
    That just says that the problem is the writers rather than anything Peter does, and that’s disappointing.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    They really don't, do they?

True. Whenever there's a news story featuring JJ that doesn't involve Spider-Man, the guy almost has as much integrity as Steve Rogers.
    Uh-huh. And say what you will about Jonah's mad-on for Spider-Man and general distrust of superpowered vigilantism, Operation: Zero Tolerance showed him having no patience or tolerance for anti-mutant bigotry. Superpowered costumed renegades like the X-Men are one thing, but singling out otherwise-regular people just trying to live their lives because the government says their genetics make them inherently dangerous? Too far. One of the high points of that storyline, in my view.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Uh-huh. And say what you will about Jonah's mad-on for Spider-Man and general distrust of superpowered vigilantism, Operation: Zero Tolerance showed him having no patience or tolerance for anti-mutant bigotry. Superpowered costumed renegades like the X-Men are one thing, but singling out otherwise-regular people just trying to live their lives because the government says their genetics make them inherently dangerous? Too far. One of the high points of that storyline, in my view.
    That was a great scene...Jonah basically telling Bastion "come at me, bro".

That would also be something to see currently from Jonah...him going on rants about the X-Men's vigilante activities and when they try to paint him as anti-mutant it blows up in their face
    Last edited by Chris0013; 01-26-2022 at 05:32 PM.

It goes both ways. The worst Perry White is one step away from being J. Jonah Jameson.
    He at least amusing in those situations? 'Cause JJ without the comedy is just an abusive ******* and I'd rather not get into that lol.

Execution is what matters in the end, Kraven was mostly a lame villain until KLH made him decent, and he's exactly the kind of villain who you'd think a serious story with him couldn't be told.

It's still been enough for him to get by...
    Same way minimum wage people may get just enough to get by, even if their life is miserable and they don't tend to have enough spending money for fun, which's Peter's situation with the Bugle more often than not lol.

Most of their news are about Spider-Man, so they're still heavily fake news.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Execution is what matters in the end, Kraven was mostly a lame villain until KLH made him decent, and he's exactly the kind of villain who you'd think a serious story with him couldn't be told.
    What do you mean by that? It seems easy to think of a serious Kraven story.

What do you mean by that? It seems easy to think of a serious Kraven story.
    How? The guy was mostly a tryhard who wasn't that much of a threat, and the last time he showed up right before Last Hunt he was whining because he couldn't impress his girlfriend by defeating Spider-Man, he was a joke, not as much as Electro, but still a joke.

Astonishing Member

How? The guy was mostly a tryhard who wasn't that much of a threat, and the last time he showed up right before Last Hunt he was whining because he couldn't impress his girlfriend by defeating Spider-Man, he was a joke, not as much as Electro, but still a joke.
    I could say the same about the Goblins, but I still can see a lot of serious stories about them.

I could say the same about the Goblins, but I still can see a lot of serious stories about them.
    The difference is that Goblins are consistently a threat who are difficult to take down and/or catch (Even then, we still had Macendale being treated like a joke), while Kraven never amounted to much before Last Hunt decided to pretend he's worth a damn now.

He at least amusing in those situations? 'Cause JJ without the comedy is just an abusive ******* and I'd rather not get into that lol.
    I mean, I think Perry's fun in a different way. Great Ceasar's Ghost.
    I'm someone who liked Kraven before KLH.
    Same way minimum wage people may get just enough to get by, even if their life is miserable and they don't tend to have enough spending money for fun, which's Peter's situation with the Bugle more often than not lol.
    Real life, man.
    Most of their news are about Spider-Man, so they're still heavily fake news.
    Front page/editorials, yeah, but they still cover other stuff too.

I'm someone who liked Kraven before KLH.
    He has some decent enough stuff with his philosophy and how he views Spidey is very different from the rest, but he's generally not treated that seriously by anyone, Last Hunt even starts with Spidey reacing to him with basically "Oh great, here we go again..."

Real life, man.
    Yeah, and in real life people may try to move on from dead end jobs like that lol.

Front page/editorials, yeah, but they still cover other stuff too.
    Still does little favor to their credibility if they push fake news as the front page every time.

It'd be like if a restaurant has decent enough food, but advertises a dish that has literally **** in it as the main one to go for.