Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    How about Peter working at the FEAST?

It could be a great place for Peter to help people about not just as Spider-Man, but also as Peter.
    His fourth job!

"PICTURES OF PARKERMAN" BEGINS!

A THRILLING NEW STATUS QUO! We've seen Peter Parker taking pictures of Spider-Man. But what would happen if Spider-Man took pictures of Peter Parker to make ends meet?

Even if the Wall-Crawler puts in a good word for Mr. Parker, the Bugle has spoken: Parker is a non-costumed, glory seeking showoff!

Nothing will ever be the same again!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post

A THRILLING NEW STATUS QUO! We've seen Peter Parker taking pictures of Spider-Man. But what would happen if Spider-Man took pictures of Peter Parker to make ends meet?

Even if the Wall-Crawler puts in a good word for Mr. Parker, the Bugle has spoken: Parker is a non-costumed, glory seeking showoff!

Ha, good one.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I don't like it how I thought this was legit for a moment, either it means I'm naíve enough to believe such things, or that comic books are stupid enough for that to actually happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I dunno why but this reminds me of the 90's cartoon where everybody assumes Peter and Spider-Man are close but every time Spider-Man talks about Peter to someone he acts like he hates Peter Parker and I think once threatened him to keep up the "act."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, pretty much, although I should take pains to mention that Stark's "moral inversion" in AXIS caused him to revert to the deeply amoral person he'd been before the events that led him to become Iron Man, only worse, since he had access to all the tech he'd developed since becoming Iron Man and no more qualms about using it to turn a profit. And yes, the DCAU Justice League becoming possibly no different from or better than their Justice Lord counterparts was a major point of JLU's Cadmus arc, not just with the Binary Fusion Generator that'd been mounted on the satellite Watchtower, but also dealing with Doomsday and Billy Batson/Captain Marvel quitting because, as he put it, "You don't act like heroes anymore." At least it ended better than Marvel's Civil War ultimately did.
    Probably because JL was ultimately more mature about understanding the government's, and the population's, fear, even though Cadmus was the one on the wrong with how often they goaded the League or just attacked them lol.

Going to the subject of Peter's career, I wouldn't mind him having something combining the sciences and journalism. Something maybe like Renew Your Vows, using a VR-operated camera drone to record videos and take pictures of himself in action as Spider-Man, also usable to analyze things that he can't always handle or otherwise reach with his hands alone.
    Thinking of it, it's surprising that Spidey hardly uses cameras besides taking selfies, his trackers could even have a camera to record villains to get evidence or whatever, I think only PS4 Spidey was smart enough to do that, and it wasn't with trackers, but a hand sized Spider-Bot lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno why but this reminds me of the 90's cartoon where everybody assumes Peter and Spider-Man are close but every time Spider-Man talks about Peter to someone he acts like he hates Peter Parker and I think once threatened him to keep up the "act."
    That seems like a kinda awkward way of implementing the "deal" between Peter and Spidey, where Spidey tends to act like a douche wanting money when he asks money from Peter, but hardly tends to sound like he actively hates Peter lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That seems like a kinda awkward way of implementing the "deal" between Peter and Spidey, where Spidey tends to act like a douche wanting money when he asks money from Peter, but hardly tends to sound like he actively hates Peter lol.
    There's a Silver Age issue (not sure right now, but I think it's a Lee-Romita ish) where Peter as Spider-Man threatens "himself" over their photos deal and leaves. Not the smartest of plans as Gwen and Capt. Stacy go into the obviously empty room and assume Spider-Man has kidnapped Parker.

Probably because JL was ultimately more mature about understanding the government's, and the population's, fear, even though Cadmus was the one on the wrong with how often they goaded the League or just attacked them lol.

Thinking of it, it's surprising that Spidey hardly uses cameras besides taking selfies, his trackers could even have a camera to record villains to get evidence or whatever, I think only PS4 Spidey was smart enough to do that, and it wasn't with trackers, but a hand sized Spider-Bot lol.

Yeah, JLU in general was a lot more mature about how it handled and examined superheroes' relationships with the public and the authorities compared to how they were being depicted in the context of Civil War. As for Spider-Man using his tracers or drones to record bad guys in the act, I believe that was an innovation Otto incorporated during his time as the (not-so-)Superior Spider-Man, though given how he used it for general surveillance of the NYC populace, I could see Peter being reluctant to incorporate it into his own toolkit. And yes, that one time in TAS when Spider-Man went up to Jameson and threatened himself/Peter to throw Jameson off his scent, he just incited Jameson to pay for Mac Gargan, the private eye he'd hired to snoop around Peter in the first place, to become the Scorpion --- which nearly resulted in the entire city getting nuked when Scorpion mutated further and went nuts over it. Way to go . . .

Astonishing Member

For some reason, I can see Peter as a veterinarian.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    For some reason, I can see Peter as a veterinarian.
    That would be interesting. He certainly has enough animal-themed rogues.

Astonishing Member

Actually, I like the idea.

There's a Silver Age issue (not sure right now, but I think it's a Lee-Romita ish) where Peter as Spider-Man threatens "himself" over their photos deal and leaves. Not the smartest of plans as Gwen and Capt. Stacy go into the obviously empty room and assume Spider-Man has kidnapped Parker.
    I think that was to excuse why Spidey kidnapped Peter before, so Spider-Man was the fall guy of the situation so Peter can still keep a good relationship with everyone else.

Honestly, while Gwen could be annoying and melodramatic, the sheer hatred she has for Spider-Man is really fair even before she started to blame him for her father's death, Spider-Man only brought her grief after some point, which's a bit sad considering she used to like Spider-Man before.

Edit: Actually, you may be referencing ASM#87:

In this one, Peter thought he was losing his powers and decided to reveal his secret identity to everyone else because he's an idiot, the others didn't believe him because they're aware of ASM#12, when they thought Peter disguised himself as Spider-Man to fight Otto, and then Spidey shows up there to confirm he's not Peter.

There's also the funny detail of George using this to "confirm" that Peter is Spider-Man, then he somehow knows it when he's dying in ASM#90 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, JLU in general was a lot more mature about how it handled and examined superheroes' relationships with the public and the authorities compared to how they were being depicted in the context of Civil War.
    Which's honestly not much of a competition, both Stark and Cap acted like manchildren, compare that with Superman at his worst in the Cadmus arc, when he just wanted to attack Cadmus after being a pain in the League's ass for so long and kidnapping and torturing Question, Supes still had enough decency to not take matters into his own hands, because he went to everyone else to talk about it, and while he clearly wanted to attack Cadmus, again, he was at least mature enough to listen to others' opinions.

If it were CW Cap or Stark, they'd just shoot the laser lol.

As for Spider-Man using his tracers or drones to record bad guys in the act, I believe that was an innovation Otto incorporated during his time as the (not-so-)Superior Spider-Man, though given how he used it for general surveillance of the NYC populace, I could see Peter being reluctant to incorporate it into his own toolkit. And yes, that one time in TAS when Spider-Man went up to Jameson and threatened himself/Peter to throw Jameson off his scent, he just incited Jameson to pay for Mac Gargan, the private eye he'd hired to snoop around Peter in the first place, to become the Scorpion --- which nearly resulted in the entire city getting nuked when Scorpion mutated further and went nuts over it. Way to go . . .
    I'm not saying he should do a surveillance on the entire city, he already uses the tracers to go after criminals, they should record videos, or at least, record sound to listen to conversations, to have evidence of their stuff, or to listen to their possible future plans, stuff that could actually expand villain plains and Spidey's ways of shutting them down.

Basically, the tracers themselves give pretty good flexibility to Spider-Man and the villains, he can let a villain go if he can't catch up to them, and the tracers give him a plausible way to find the villain later, and it lets the villain be around a little longer while Spidey is actively aware of that villain and going after him or her, the tracers being able to record stuff allows villains to have plans, for Spidey himself to have ways to learn of the plans and find ways to stop them, and we could have stuff like the tracer being found before Spidey can listen to the entirety of the plans, so he doesn't know the whole thing, and finding the tracer itself could make the villain speed up, or even change plans.

Shorter version is that tracers already increase flexibility in Spidey's stories, them being able to do more, would increase that flexibility, giving both sides more options, and that's always good.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 01-18-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

It's just none of Peter's science jobs have ever seemed interesting...
    You could've stopped there. How he's had a foot in both worlds has always been one of the things that've made his life as Peter Parker so interesting.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    You could've stopped there. How he's had a foot in both worlds has always been one of the things that've made his life as Peter Parker so interesting.
    I just read that as being non-committal.

I think that was to excuse why Spidey kidnapped Peter before, so Spider-Man was the fall guy of the situation so Peter can still keep a good relationship with everyone else.

Honestly, while Gwen could be annoying and melodramatic, the sheer hatred she has for Spider-Man is really fair even before she started to blame him for her father's death, Spider-Man only brought her grief after some point, which's a bit sad considering she used to like Spider-Man before.

Edit: Actually, you may be referencing ASM#87:

In this one, Peter thought he was losing his powers and decided to reveal his secret identity to everyone else because he's an idiot, the others didn't believe him because they're aware of ASM#12, when they thought Peter disguised himself as Spider-Man to fight Otto, and then Spidey shows up there to confirm he's not Peter.

There's also the funny detail of George using this to "confirm" that Peter is Spider-Man, then he somehow knows it when he's dying in ASM#90 lol.

Which's honestly not much of a competition, both Stark and Cap acted like manchildren, compare that with Superman at his worst in the Cadmus arc, when he just wanted to attack Cadmus after being a pain in the League's ass for so long and kidnapping and torturing Question, Supes still had enough decency to not take matters into his own hands, because he went to everyone else to talk about it, and while he clearly wanted to attack Cadmus, again, he was at least mature enough to listen to others' opinions.

If it were CW Cap or Stark, they'd just shoot the laser lol.

I'm not saying he should do a surveillance on the entire city, he already uses the tracers to go after criminals, they should record videos, or at least, record sound to listen to conversations, to have evidence of their stuff, or to listen to their possible future plans, stuff that could actually expand villain plains and Spidey's ways of shutting them down.

Basically, the tracers themselves give pretty good flexibility to Spider-Man and the villains, he can let a villain go if he can't catch up to them, and the tracers give him a plausible way to find the villain later, and it lets the villain be around a little longer while Spidey is actively aware of that villain and going after him or her, the tracers being able to record stuff allows villains to have plans, for Spidey himself to have ways to learn of the plans and find ways to stop them, and we could have stuff like the tracer being found before Spidey can listen to the entirety of the plans, so he doesn't know the whole thing, and finding the tracer itself could make the villain speed up, or even change plans.

Shorter version is that tracers already increase flexibility in Spidey's stories, them being able to do more, would increase that flexibility, giving both sides more options, and that's always good.
    Solid points on the tracers, and yeah, credit to DCAU Superman for having some semblance of restraint.