Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

Astonishing Member

There was actually a side issue where Jonah finds out that a big reason that people read the Bugle is because they think his editorials are funny. His paper wasn’t taken as seriously as he thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    He has some decent enough stuff with his philosophy and how he views Spidey is very different from the rest, but he's generally not treated that seriously by anyone, Last Hunt even starts with Spidey reacing to him with basically "Oh great, here we go again..."
    Again, I always thought he was a serious enough threat. But I always viewed the Lee/Ditko villains as all A-list and it seems like that's only coming retroactively because of their prominence in media adaptions.
    Yeah, and in real life people may try to move on from dead end jobs like that lol.
    And just like in real life, Peter's success at doing so has been...less than stellar.
    Still does little favor to their credibility if they push fake news as the front page every time.

It'd be like if a restaurant has decent enough food, but advertises a dish that has literally shit in it as the main one to go for.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    There was actually a side issue where Jonah finds out that a big reason that people read the Bugle is because they think his editorials are funny. His paper wasn’t taken as seriously as he thought it was.
    I feel like whenever a major news story breaks in the Marvel Universe, it comes from the Daily Bugle (except when the Frontline was a thing). I think it's taken seriously and seen with integrity even if it's also known infamously as the paper that has it out for Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Again, I always thought he was a serious enough threat. But I always viewed the Lee/Ditko villains as all A-list and it seems like that's only coming retroactively because of their prominence in media adaptions.
    So you're telling me Looter/Meteor Man is an A-list? .

But yeah, I never really got the feeling Kraven was that serious as a threat, the concept behind him is fine, but the execution has been lacking, and his appearances right before Last Hunt having him trying to impress his girlfriend, yeah...

And just like in real life, Peter's success at doing so has been...less than stellar.
    Yeah, still doesn't mean he should stay in that dead end job, at least as far as in-universe excuses go at least.

I feel like whenever a major news story breaks in the Marvel Universe, it comes from the Daily Bugle (except when the Frontline was a thing). I think it's taken seriously and seen with integrity even if it's also known infamously as the paper that has it out for Spider-Man.
    Having it out so strongly for Spider-Man for so long hurts their integrity anyways, wasn't there a story that points out they're not taken seriously as a newspaper because of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

So you're telling me Looter/Meteor Man is an A-list? .

But yeah, I never really got the feeling Kraven was that serious as a threat, the concept behind him is fine, but the execution has been lacking, and his appearances right before Last Hunt having him trying to impress his girlfriend, yeah...
    I guess mainly anyone who was in the Sinister Six...and Chameleon .

I dunno, I thought he was executed fine. Also, who wouldn't want to impress Calypso...
    Yeah, still doesn't mean he should stay in that dead end job, at least as far as in-universe excuses go at least.
    But yet it lasted so long...
    Having it out so strongly for Spider-Man for so long hurts their integrity anyways, wasn't there a story that points out they're not taken seriously as a newspaper because of that?
    I feel like the Bugle's reputation is off and on depending on the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess mainly anyone who was in the Sinister Six...and Chameleon .
    Poor forgotten Green Goblin, nobody remembers him .

I dunno, I thought he was executed fine. Also, who wouldn't want to impress Calypso...
    I mean he already had impressed Calypso, and she makes that quite clear in both issues she shows up, he just wanted to do some self imposed challenge to defeat Spidey so he can make himself worthy of her, even though she doesn't care about that.

See? Explaining more only makes him look worse lol.

But yet it lasted so long...
    It's the classic setting, and comic books are stagnant, no surprises there.

I feel like the Bugle's reputation is off and on depending on the story.
    Wonder how it's overall seen, in Spidey comics it's probably little more than a joke for most of the time, but something like Daredevil, which has Urich as a supporting character, probably has it looking more respectful.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Poor forgotten Green Goblin, nobody remembers him .
    Gobby has Archenemy status. I didn't need to mention him .
    I mean he already had impressed Calypso, and she makes that quite clear in both issues she shows up, he just wanted to do some self imposed challenge to defeat Spidey so he can make himself worthy of her, even though she doesn't care about that.

See? Explaining more only makes him look worse lol.
    I like it .
    Wonder how it's overall seen, in Spidey comics it's probably little more than a joke for most of the time, but something like Daredevil, which has Urich as a supporting character, probably has it looking more respectful.
    I feel like they've broken some major scoops/stories in Spidey comics as well.

Astonishing Member

You know, I could honestly see Peter as part of the Coast Guard. For all his “nerdiness”, it’s pretty clear that he likes action.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You know, I could honestly see Peter as part of the Coast Guard. For all his “nerdiness”, it’s pretty clear that he likes action.
    Not sure how well that would work for him unless he was giving up on being Spider-Man.

The reason news-related positions (especially for newspapers) like reporter or photographer worked well for many costumed heroes was that they could be on the scene covering a story in their civilian identities and also slip away to switch to their superhero identities as long as they filed their stories / submitted their pictures in time for the filing deadline. When Superman became a TV news anchor, it presented problems when he actually had to be live on-air at specific times.

BANNED

Hes gonna be a photographer forever and until grow old and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Hes gonna be a photographer forever and until grow old and die.
    Has he been a photographer recently?

I haven't been following the Spider-Man books for a while; was not impressed by Nick Spencer's first Amazing arc tpb.

Incredible Member

I miss Peter the teacher. I felt that was a great progression for him.

But I’m more interested in Ben these days and what awaits him after Beyond. I’d like to see Ben with something stable-ish. Granted he’s always been the wandering Spider-Man, lol. Heck, I’m even interested in what profession Kaine could/have/has.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I miss Peter the teacher. I felt that was a great progression for him.

But I’m more interested in Ben these days and what awaits him after Beyond. I’d like to see Ben with something stable-ish. Granted he’s always been the wandering Spider-Man, lol. Heck, I’m even interested in what profession Kaine could/have/has.
    I want to see Peter Parker get is Ph.D and become a scientist who can appearing in a cameo spot assisting the protagonist like Captain Marvel and Bruce Banner, for example...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Has he been a photographer recently?

I haven't been following the Spider-Man books for a while; was not impressed by Nick Spencer's first Amazing arc tpb.
    He was a science editor for The Daily Bugle after Parker Industries collapsed, as per the final year of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. Then the whole plagiarism issue with Otto using his own prior research paper for Peter's doctorate thesis while in Peter's body came out, and Peter was stripped of that doctorate, since Peter couldn't just explain that Otto had hijacked his body and life without also exposing that he was Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He was a science editor for The Daily Bugle after Parker Industries collapsed, as per the final year of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run. Then the whole plagiarism issue with Otto using his own prior research paper for Peter's doctorate thesis while in Peter's body came out, and Peter was stripped of that doctorate, since Peter couldn't just explain that Otto had hijacked his body and life without also exposing that he was Spider-Man.
    And didn't this literally only last months before they undid it? God, I still think that was the best career choice for him. A perfect blend of both of his civilian careers.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    And didn't this literally only last months before they undid it? God, I still think that was the best career choice for him. A perfect blend of both of his civilian careers.
    Blame that on Dan Slott. I want to see Parker get his Ph.D in Biochemistry so that he can appear in other titles in a non-Spidey role working alongside Marvel's finest minds.