Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Pete's career

When it comes to maturity, I've noticed there's a certain level of professionalism and levity he tries to balance depending on the group.

If you put him with younger characters, like Miles or the New Warriors, he tends to fall into more of a mentor role and acts more serious, but if you have him around people his own age or older like the Avengers, he cuts loose with the gags. He's not always the same. It's a nice bit of characterization that I rarely see people mention.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    When it comes to maturity, I've noticed there's a certain level of professionalism and levity he tries to balance depending on the group.

If you put him with younger characters, like Miles or the New Warriors, he tends to fall into more of a mentor role and acts more serious, but if you have him around people his own age or older like the Avengers, he cuts loose with the gags. He's not always the same. It's a nice bit of characterization that I rarely see people mention.
    Actually, a pretty good point there. He does his best to be a responsible "big brother" to the younger set of heroes, knowing they need guidance even if he still tries to lighten the mood a bit here and there, but with the likes of the adult heroes (many if not most of whom are portrayed as somewhat older than him), he cuts up with the quips as a tension-breaker, probably figuring they'll be too busy chiding him to be scared of whatever "big bad" they're about to face.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Peter will never grow up as its not a thing Marvel wants to do since hes makes money as a childs projection fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Juninater View Post
    It is normal that a character grows up and discovers new qualities in himself. We want our favorite characters to remain as we remember them. But a good author cannot allow the stagnation of the plot and the characters. Of course, the author does not always choose the right and most interesting development path for readers.
    Fair points.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juninater View Post
    It is normal that a character grows up and discovers new qualities in himself. We want our favorite characters to remain as we remember them. But a good author cannot allow the stagnation of the plot and the characters. Of course, the author does not always choose the right and most interesting development path for readers.
    The problem is that even the audience has different ideas about what would be progress. This thread is proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The problem is that even the audience has different ideas about what would be progress. This thread is proof of that.
    Also a fair point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Well just died recently so he mustilve not been all that mature in a general sense to be judged by a celestial being who senses for the highest human values that even a Superhero like Spidey should have.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Peter will never grow up as its not a thing Marvel wants to do since hes makes money as a childs projection fantasy.
    I don't mind him remaining young. But him remaining forever in college... I find that very depressing.

Didn't he lose his phd because of Doc Ock being in his body?

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I don't mind him remaining young. But him remaining forever in college... I find that very depressing.

well yeah he gain the phd cause of doc being in his body and he lost it cause of doc being in his body
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    well yeah he gain the phd cause of doc being in his body and he lost it cause of doc being in his body
    Because he couldn't just say, "Doc Ock hijacked my body, identity, and life and reused his old work as the thesis that got me my doctorate," without also admitting he was Spider-Man, as the question would then obviously be, "What interest would an infamous supervillain have in taking over the body, identity, and life of some random young scientist?" In fact, the point of that particular humiliation was to demonstrate that by accepting the fruits of Otto's ill-gotten gains, Peter had failed to act responsibly with the power he did have. Then there's the issue that this was the overarching point of Nick Spencer's run --- to remind Peter (and the readers) that "responsibility" meant a lot more than just putting on a costume and punching out bad guys.