Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I honestly can't believe it's been this long without reverting to that hallowed ground. Slott tried it but Spencer said nah and went with the student trope.

Horizon was perfect. Real shame that got nuked.
    Agreed. I kinda just want Peter to somehow go back to working there. The worst part is that Spencer did literally nothing with making him a student again, beyond one or two extremely forgettable issues with that Jamie dude.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Slott and Spencer kind of did a one-two punch though of destroying any chance of Pete having a legitimate journalism career. Pete got busted for doctoring photos in Slott's run and later for academic plagiarism at the beginning of Spencer's. Realistically that should close the door on his career in journalism.
    It's ok. Everyone knows that comic books have no consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Agreed. I kinda just want Peter to somehow go back to working there. The worst part is that Spencer did literally nothing with making him a student again, beyond one or two extremely forgettable issues with that Jamie dude.
    And only so much more with the Fact Channel job (if you can call it that).

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, it depends on what you wanted to get out of Horizon.

I don't think Slott sold it near as well as the Bugle status quo compared to it just being a way for more tech/costumes for Spidey, especially from a supporting cast standpoint.

My favorite interpretation of Max Modell is the one from the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon where seemingly every decision he makes, however well-meaning, ends up screwing Peter over. I think a similar take to Horizon might have made it more interesting.
    I didn't see the Marvel's Spider-man cartoon but that sounds like a decent long-term version that has legs, as long as Modell doesn't come across as incompetent or JJJ-lite.

I think the balance of Horizon in Slott's earlier issues were pretty much on par for the Bugle as a starting point. He'd pop in, something would be relevant to spider-man (or cause of the adventure) and it gave him new people to bounce off. The Bugle evolved over many years, especially as early on his love life was tied up there too, but establishing a new status quo and supporting cast takes time. Bear in in the early Bugle days were single issue stories (sometimes two per book) and by Slott's time it was 4-6 issue arcs. I feel given more time Horizon really could have been the one that stuck*.

For me it was akin to the 80's-90's era when Peter had settled into being a full time photographer and loved his job. It could have been that but with science, a part of Peter's life I think is too often ignored as it's harder to write.

I loved that peter was succeeding through being Spider-man and Peter, and in a less morally questionable way than taking pictures of himself to profit from his superheroics.

I like reading a happy and stable Peter. Not living a charmed life... Okay, comparatively not living a charmed life. He's still a gorgeous super-genius and talented photographer with Spider-powers, super powered friends, a supermodel girlfriend and an aging Aunt who is harder to kill than Wolverine. But definitely not miserable or punished for being Spider-man.

*and in case you need to hear it - yes, that is Slott's fault for deciding to nuke it and move on to (in my opinion) the much less interesting and really messy premise of Parker Industries (version 1 especially).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If I recall right, Peter doctoring photos happened during Brand New Day, so it might not have been entirely on Dan Slott, as BND had a rotating stable of writers in each arc. Would have to check the specific issue where it happened to see for sure, though. As for the "academic plagiarism," that was technically Otto Octavius hijacking Peter's body and life and then trying to get a doctorate in Peter's name using his own previous work, thinking everyone else was too stupid to see through it, although the point Spencer was making (or trying to make) was that Peter shouldn't have accepted any of the "success" Otto procured for him, since it was born of deception and theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Waid wrote that storyline, yep. But considering how close it was to Big Time and the planned new direction there I'm sure it was an editorial decision.
    Ah my mistake, the timing of that story, I forgot it happened during BND and not at the start of Slott's run.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As for the "academic plagiarism," that was technically Otto Octavius hijacking Peter's body and life and then trying to get a doctorate in Peter's name using his own previous work, thinking everyone else was too stupid to see through it, although the point Spencer was making (or trying to make) was that Peter shouldn't have accepted any of the "success" Otto procured for him, since it was born of deception and theft.
    Oh yeah, I get that, wasn't saying that Pete himself directly plagiarized, but the fact that he got busted and then publically sacked in such a big fashion it just makes it hard for me to believe that any reputable Media Company would take him back on again.

Though now I wonder with Pete trying to earn his Doctorate legitimately now if he'll likely end up finding himself just becoming a Professor full-time. I've always been team "Peter as a Teacher was his best career" and being a Professor I feel like he'd have way more flexible hours compared to hard-set times a High School Teacher would require.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I didn't see the Marvel's Spider-man cartoon but that sounds like a decent long-term version that has legs, as long as Modell doesn't come across as incompetent or JJJ-lite.
    Is it incompetent when your constantly make decisions that end up endangering others or inadvertently create Supervillains? Or just unlucky ?

Modell's like "nice Jonah" in that he's a nice, supportive, guy but a terrible decision maker and judge of character who still ends up making Peter's life harder despite ostensibly being nicer about it.
    I think the balance of Horizon in Slott's earlier issues were pretty much on par for the Bugle as a starting point. He'd pop in, something would be relevant to spider-man (or cause of the adventure) and it gave him new people to bounce off. The Bugle evolved over many years, especially as early on his love life was tied up there too, but establishing a new status quo and supporting cast takes time. Bear in in the early Bugle days were single issue stories (sometimes two per book) and by Slott's time it was 4-6 issue arcs. I feel given more time Horizon really could have been the one that stuck*.
    I just don't think the Horizon cast had quite the chemistry or banter that kept the Bugle interesting or relevant. Maybe it's because they weren't allowed to develop beyond that but I think the only people anyone really remembers are Modell and Sajani because she was terrible.

I also feel like lacking the inherent irony and topicallness of the Bugle Job that kept Peter actively out there, even as Spider-Man to take pictures of himself, worked against it.
    For me it was akin to the 80's-90's era when Peter had settled into being a full time photographer and loved his job. It could have been that but with science, a part of Peter's life I think is too often ignored as it's harder to write.
    I get it. But for me I kind of want Peter to have a more normal, mundane, job that's not basically leading into more Silver Age science or to seemingly sell toys. Or trying to make him more like Iron Man or the FF. But that's just me. Maybe he could have both.
    I loved that peter was succeeding through being Spider-man and Peter, and in a less morally questionable way than taking pictures of himself to profit from his superheroics.
    But, again, I think that sense of irony was part of why it worked.
    I like reading a happy and stable Peter. Not living a charmed life... Okay, comparatively not living a charmed life. He's still a gorgeous super-genius and talented photographer with Spider-powers, super powered friends, a supermodel girlfriend and an aging Aunt who is harder to kill than Wolverine. But definitely not miserable or punished for being Spider-man.
    I think there are definitely degrees. I think a part of his life should always be a struggle in one way or another, and Spider-Man will never be universally loved one way or another, but he always pushes himself back up and resolves the day and keeps going anyways.
    Ah my mistake, the timing of that story, I forgot it happened during BND and not at the start of Slott's run.
    One of the few things Mark Waid will cop to as not being one of his best decisions.

I think he should be doing some science related stuff. Maybe something like Spider-Man PS4. Isn't Peter almost 30? I feel like he should be at a relatively advanced stage in his life even if it's never really stable. I don't think he should still be at the Bugle. IMO that's a job he should leave behind once he's done with college

I enjoyed him as a teacher tbh.

It's not like teachers can't be young people and have young people struggles. Plus, it really highlights the fact that Spider-Manning isn't the only way Peter looks after people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think he should be doing some science related stuff. Maybe something like Spider-Man PS4. Isn't Peter almost 30? I feel like he should be at a relatively advanced stage in his life even if it's never really stable. I don't think he should still be at the Bugle. IMO that's a job he should leave behind once he's done with college
    I feel like being a science writer at the Bugle was a good blending of the two.

Oddly enough it was his only really long-term job after college...
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I enjoyed him as a teacher tbh.

It's not like teachers can't be young people and have young people struggles. Plus, it really highlights the fact that Spider-Manning isn't the only way Peter looks after people.
    Could J. Jonah Jameson be a high school principal?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Could J. Jonah Jameson be a high school principal?
    For all of five minutes before being fired, yeah.

You could have him be the head of an after-school journalism foundation, with Peter and the Bugle staff tutoring.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    It's why I like the idea of Pete being a College Professor/Instructor. It would give him the best of both worlds allowing him to be a teacher while also having a lab where he can do research.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

What if Peter had Jameson's job?

There's actually a lot of different ways you can have him go honestly, personally, I'd just like to see the guy succeed in a exciting way (So no boring desk job, something fitting for a superhero) but still have a good supporting cast. That's the true key here.

It's why I like the idea of Pete being a College Professor/Instructor. It would give him the best of both worlds allowing him to be a teacher while also having a lab where he can do research.
    I feel like you could probably balance that with Bugle work. At the rate they depict Peter's money problems he would probably have to hold more than one job.

I support Professor Peter. Whether at ESU or even another school. maybe a community college. introduce him to a range of younger people to mentor.

Astonishing Member

I find it weird how people treat being at the Daily Bugle as a career rather than just a job.

It really shows how Jameson's popularity shifted the Spider-Man universe.