Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete's career

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I think working in a lab is pretty boring. As a former journalist, myself, lot of editors still report and write and are not just stuck behind a desk all day (or in a lab for that matter).
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-25-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The Bugle itself really got stale as the series went on. That’s they have to have a supervillain infiltrate the business every now and then.
    To be fair...crime has been infiltrating the Bugle since the beginning...Starting with Frederick Foswell. Not a tight ship run by ol' Jolly Jonah.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Yeah, but being an editor is a boring job. You want pages and pages of him sitting there correcting documents? Being a photographer, we can incorporate his job into his superhero stuff.

Plus it gives more story hooks. Photographers are actually sent places on assignments. Nobody is going to send an editor to the latest scientific breakthrough and/or monster sighting.
    For me it is more about having a job that will give him some stability. Steady paycheck, health care benefits, retirement plan, etc...but it also opens the door for things like when he and Bobbi found out Humanitech was using Quicksand as the A.I. for their bots. Have Peter be they guy shady businesses don't like showing up at their press conferences.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    For me it is more about having a job that will give him some stability. Steady paycheck, health care benefits, retirement plan, etc...but it also opens the door for things like when he and Bobbi found out Humanitech was using Quicksand as the A.I. for their bots. Have Peter be they guy shady businesses don't like showing up at their press conferences.
    I agree about the stability part. That's why I don't want Spider-Man to literally be involved with his work. It acts as though having a job on its own isn't stressful enough.

Extraordinary Member

I agree about the stability part. That's why I don't want Spider-Man to literally be involved with his work. It acts as though having a job on its own isn't stressful enough.
    It would be the exact same thing if he had a science job. Nearly all of his enemies have originated out of a lab. Hell, in certain versions, Pete's worked out of the same lab that Electro, The Lizard, Venom, Doc Ock, and Rhino got their powers.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    It would be the exact same thing if he had a science job. Nearly all of his enemies have originated out of a lab. Hell, in certain versions, Pete's worked out of the same lab that Electro, The Lizard, Venom, Doc Ock, and Rhino got their powers.
    So, the answer is to not do that?

Extraordinary Member

So, the answer is to not do that?
    Are you honestly expecting a different result? Because if you are, you're kidding yourself.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 01-25-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Are you honestly expecting a different result? Because if you are, you're kidding yourself.
    You're right. I was naive of me to think that Peter could actually grow up. Painfully naive.

To me, the science jobs were always more interesting than “GET ME PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!”.

The Bugle itself really got stale as the series went on. That’s they have to have a supervillain infiltrate the business every now and then.
    I've just never really seen it that way. At least "GET ME PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!" involved Jonah and also had that inherent irony to Spider-Man's life.

The only way you get that with a science job is either making his science mentor incompetent or a Supervillain.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Except Peter isn't a reporter or editor. Peter's journalism arc started and ended with him being a freelance photographer, with the small exception of when he released that book of Spider-Man photos in the 90s. So I think it's very fair to say there's been no progress on that front.

I think the closest thing you could argue was when he was a science journalist for like 10 issues, but that job literally came out of nowhere and left just as fast. And at this point in his life, it makes even less sense for Peter to become a reporter/editor than a photographer, since at least photography is something he has some established interest and skill in. No one would hire Peter to be a journalist or editor, and there's really no reason he'd want to be an editor unless something was contrived to make it happen.
    Peter being a reporter would be an illusion of change anyways, he'd be doing the exact same thing otherwise, kinda like when he became an editor for like 3 issues and, he was doing the same thing lol.

Though maybe that could mean a better pay check, who knows, but either way, Bugle is a dead end job lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've just never really seen it that way. At least "GET ME PICTURES OF SPIDER-MAN!" involved Jonah and also had that inherent irony to Spider-Man's life.

The only way you get that with a science job is either making his science mentor incompetent or a Supervillain.
    There are probably other ways to make it work, look at the Bugle itself, it could be a lame clone of Daily Planet, but it got JJ for most of its existence, and he's what kept it the most interesting, even though Bugle has other cool characters.

At the end of the day, it's more about what is the content of the job that makes it work, Bugle, or just journalism itself had its own awful eras in Spidey comics too.

Ultimately, I don't mind it that much if Spidey stays in the Bugle, but it's always been treated as a dead end job with a terrible, terrible boss, even if JJ is funny, and it's honestly disheartening, I can see why fans would want Spidey to move on from that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    There are probably other ways to make it work, look at the Bugle itself, it could be a lame clone of Daily Planet, but it got JJ for most of its existence, and he's what kept it the most interesting, even though Bugle has other cool characters.

At the end of the day, it's more about what is the content of the job that makes it work, Bugle, or just journalism itself had its own awful eras in Spidey comics too.

Ultimately, I don't mind it that much if Spidey stays in the Bugle, but it's always been treated as a dead end job with a terrible, terrible boss, even if JJ is funny, and it's honestly disheartening, I can see why fans would want Spidey to move on from that.
    It's a very different dynamic compared to the Planet, but I think that just goes into the different character/setting Spider-Man is versus Superman.

I guess I never felt it was a dead end job because it paid the bills, there were people there Peter enjoyed being around, he learned life lessons and grew, and news media (in my opinion) is still relevant in some regards.

I guess I had more experience with him doing it as an adult, so it didn't really feel that way to me, but I guess collectively taking into account he did it when he was a teenager...
    My experience with photographer Peter was the Raimi movies and the 90s cartoon where he was a college student. It's one thing for Peter to look for some extra cash while he's still in school and working another job and another for an almost 30 year old guy to still be photographing and doing the same stuff he did as a teenager. There's just no growth. If the goal is to just stick to the most iconic moments of the series, then Loeb was on the right track when he was making Peter younger but no one wants that. They want progression but still keep hallmarks of the old iconic stories even though 616 Peter is supposed to be at the end of his 20s at this point

It's a very different dynamic compared to the Planet, but I think that just goes into the different character/setting Spider-Man is versus Superman.
    It's a different dynamic because they made it so, Bugle could easily just follow lazy tropes and be a Planet clone and not much else, but they did something cool with it to make it work.

A science job could do that too, I don't expect that to happen, writing cool new characters is hard even if writers decided to bother, but it could happen, same way Bugle was made to be such a different experience compared to Planet, but interesting in its own way.

I guess I never felt it was a dead end job because it paid the bills, there were people there Peter enjoyed being around, he learned life lessons and grew, and news media (in my opinion) is still relevant in some regards.
    His money problems all happen because JJ underpays him all the time, even when Peter grows a pair and demands higher payment, JJ may mentally note the pictures are worth more.

News media can be relevant or whatever, but Bugle has been fake news for most of its existence, so if we use real life to compare, Peter should move the **** away from it, not that I think we should use silly real life stuff to interfere too much with comics, specially if we risk getting another Secret Empire lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    His money problems all happen because JJ underpays him all the time, even when Peter grows a pair and demands higher payment, JJ may mentally note the pictures are worth more.

News media can be relevant or whatever, but Bugle has been fake news for most of its existence, so if we use real life to compare, Peter should move the **** away from it, not that I think we should use silly real life stuff to interfere too much with comics, specially if we risk getting another Secret Empire lol.
    I see this, but it could also be that Peter expects too much for amateur work since the quality of Peter's photos vary from story to story. We can't place all of the blame on Jonah.

That's why I feel like Peter should be looking elsewhere.

I see this, but it could also be that Peter expects too much for amateur work since the quality of Peter's photos vary from story to story. We can't place all of the blame on Jonah.
    We can blame JJ when he underpays Peter more often than not, to the point Peter constantly points out how much of a cheap ass he is, so Peter is aware and generally does nothing lol.

That's why I feel like Peter should be looking elsewhere.
    He did it at least once in Ditko's run, but it was given the flimsy excuse that Daily Globe asks too many questions while JJ doesn't.

Doesn't work as well when JJ hired Gargan to spy on Peter to learn how he gets pictures of Spidey though, or how Peter has had the excuse that him and Spidey have a deal, but hey lol.