Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Thank you, Marvel, for giving me a good jumping off point from this title
    I somewhat feel that point was when a bunch of unpowered terrorists could invade Krakoa and kill the head of state by strapping a mutant's flesh and skin to their own and jumping out of a plane with parachutes, fooling the "mutant CIA" and their secruity system. A mutant who they did not keep track on, despite her being on a risky mission investigating an anti-mutant organization.

They lost track of an asset. It happens. And I’d say the island’s hundreds of telepaths, some of them omega level, are equally culpable for the breach. If we’re insisting on assigning blame in a fictional event where said breach had to be allowable to progress the story.

I swear, someone should do a case study on comic fans and the highly subjective nature of their ability to suspend disbelief. Ha.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    They lost track of an asset. It happens. And I’d say the island’s hundreds of telepaths, some of them omega level, are equally culpable for the breach. If we’re insisting on assigning blame in a fictional event where said breach had to be allowable to progress the story.

I swear, someone should do a case study on comic fans and the highly subjective nature of their ability to suspend disbelief. Ha.
    I mean, I'd argue that part of a writer's job is to earn a reader's suspension of disbelief, especially since like, its not the basic premise of the book that readers are failing to give a shot. Its specific missions and lapses in judgment by the characters that just make them come across as incompetent and a bit weird seeing relied on as like, the only four people who can do this job when they're not seemingly doing it all that well.

Like, pretty much nobody I know likes Beast in this book, but its not JUST because of the KINDS of actions he's taking, which I think most people agree sucks - because we do still understand that agree with him or not, part of the premise of a mutant CIA/black ops book is going to involve the characters doing decidedly questionable things, its literally built into the premise. But the bigger issue I think everyone has with Beast in this book is not even just how amoral he's being a lot of the time, but how just....sloppy he's being. *Shrugs* Just saying, this is a book that I came into not expecting to 'like' or root for the characters, but just wanting a compelling, suspenseful read. However the various victories and surprises the antagonists keep pulling off feel like they rely on the idea that X-Force's resources are limited to JUST what little we see in the book, and the narrative never acknowledging and presenting an awareness that they ACTUALLY have like....an entire island of mutants, powers, resources, skillsets, and hyper-specialties available to draw upon and simply....aren't.

That's the specific letdown of the book for me, what I was hoping to see the relaunch address with some changing of the guard or at least the addition of new faces, and still hope occurs at some point, because I don't think most people bash on this book just to be haters, but rather just because its one of the bigger cases of wasted potential among the lineup.

You could make the same argument about any book re: its antagonists and threats. Like, in SWORD for example, which admittedly is a better book than this one, how is Brand able to hide her plotting from everyone considering the number of geniuses and telepaths the mutants have? Surely someone should’ve scanned her by now and discovered her treachery. Or, in Marauders, how does Iceman not just instantly end every fight by freezing every antagonist? Dude’s an omega level elemental mutant.

Just saying, going down that road you can nitpick everything to death. Don’t get me wrong, this book has sucked since the first arc and I’m not shying away from that. But I think the logic being applied here as to why X-Force should’ve ended every threat before it started can be applied to almost every plot in every X-book. I mean, let’s not even get started on Inferno in that regard… sometimes you’ve just got to roll with it. *shrugs*