Mighty Member

Default Destiny of X: New Mutants team

NEWMUT2019025_Tan_Var-scaled.jpg

New Mutants #25
    Release Date: 4/6/2022
    Cover Price: $4.99
    Written by Vita Ayala
    Art by Rod Reis

New York, NY— January 11, 2022 — This April, Vita Ayala and Rod Reis’ NEW MUTANTS run will bring the heat to the X-Men’s Destiny of X era with a brand-new arc that will see a war ignited between MAGIK and the GOBLIN QUEEN! “THE LABORS OF MAGIK” will kick off in NEW MUTANTS #25, a perfect jumping-on point for the series that is redefining what it means to be the next generation of X-MEN.

They were the central stars of the groundbreaking classic X-Men crossover INFERNO, and now over thirty years later, Illyana Rasputina and Madelyne Pryor are ready to fan the flames once more! Illyana IS the rightful queen of Limbo…but she’s been awfully busy on Krakoa. And now that Maddie’s back in action, she’s determined to sit on the throne that was once promised to her. Who will you bow down to?
    Last edited by ericng; 01-12-2022 at 03:57 AM.

This looks more like a hommage cover and not the actual team.
    I don't expect the roster to change.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    This looks more like a hommage cover and not the actual team.
    I don't expect the roster to change.
    Yeah, they're all wearing their original "Inferno"-era costumes, so this seems to be more of a throwback cover than a cast reveal.

It’s been a while since I read it… I don’t recall Maddie and Illyana ever interacting in Inferno. The X-Men and X-Factor had Maddie to deal with and the New Mutants did their own thing with Illyana.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    It’s been a while since I read it… I don’t recall Maddie and Illyana ever interacting in Inferno. The X-Men and X-Factor had Maddie to deal with and the New Mutants did their own thing with Illyana.
    That's correct. This will be the first time they've ever interacted on-panel. It's actually mind-blowing it's taken this long.

I'm VERY curious to see what Illyana thinks of Maddie. They were both manipulated into their respective roles amidst the Inferno of it all. Both are women who became "corrupted" and subsequently lost their lives. Does Maddie feel that Limbo is recompense for what happened to her? Or is it the lure of power and those demonic energies calling to the Goblin Queen within?

Astonishing Member

I'm hoping they don't just make Pryor an out and out villain again and try to do something with her, but I doubt it. Either back to full cackling or the weird stuff they've been doing with characters like Dakken most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post

New Mutants #25
    Release Date: 4/6/2022
    Cover Price: $4.99
    Written by Vita Ayala
    Art by Rod Reis

New York, NY— January 11, 2022 — This April, Vita Ayala and Rod Reis’ NEW MUTANTS run will bring the heat to the X-Men’s Destiny of X era with a brand-new arc that will see a war ignited between MAGIK and the GOBLIN QUEEN! “THE LABORS OF MAGIK” will kick off in NEW MUTANTS #25, a perfect jumping-on point for the series that is redefining what it means to be the next generation of X-MEN.

They were the central stars of the groundbreaking classic X-Men crossover INFERNO, and now over thirty years later, Illyana Rasputina and Madelyne Pryor are ready to fan the flames once more! Illyana IS the rightful queen of Limbo…but she’s been awfully busy on Krakoa. And now that Maddie’s back in action, she’s determined to sit on the throne that was once promised to her. Who will you bow down to?
    vita alone makes this must buy for me. the rest is a perk. i know they will deliver.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

This cover is gorgeous and I can't help but giggle about the placement -- Illyana's framing is such that she looks like she's wearing a hooded cloak, and Maddie's boob is the back of the hood, cupping Yana's head.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    vita alone makes this must buy for me. the rest is a perk. i know they will deliver.
    YES. Aaaaaand Rod Reis on art! Doing an Illyana / Maddie / Limbo story! Gonna be WILD.
    Last edited by Fokken; 01-12-2022 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    What else had Vita written besides CotA, which admittedly I skipped? Just curious since the writer is a draw for you and I’m not sure if I’ve read anything by them.

Omg. And thanks to Jackraow21 appearing in the thread, that reminded me: Illyana has a MARKER from CABLE that he said she would need one day. And NATHAN is Maddie's SON! So MAYBE we can expect NATHAN to appear in this story. Vita loves a continuity pull AND crafting those empathy engines!

Last edited by Fokken; 01-12-2022 at 07:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    What else had Vita written besides CotA, which admittedly I skipped? Just curious since the writer is a draw for you and I’m not sure if I’ve read anything by them.
    She was the writer for New Mutants #14 and onwards, has also done backup features in the current wonder woman run over at DC, Nubia and the Amazons, and a few issues for characters like Ironheart, Shuri, and Nebula.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe they can play up how Maddie's been mistreated and misunderstood, but when it comes to the events of the story, she's going to be the villain. The framing is that she is attempting to take by force what rightfully belongs to someone else. And I very highly doubt they're going to do another redemption arc right after the Farouk story. This is a story that is meant to have an epic scope and epic personalities and epic action, and so Maddie is at best going to be like a tragic Shakespearean character like Macbeth.

Nice cover. Could use some Hellion, though. He's not connected to Inferno but he's New Mutants-adjacent.

Still, Magic vs Maddie sounds like a fun dynamic. I wanna see how that plays out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    They wrote the Prisoner X book for Age of X-Man that I actually enjoyed. They’re also writing the Static relaunch for DC. I’m not caught up with that one but the introductory issues were good.