View Poll Results: What will be the best regarded MCU Film/ TV show to date?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Man

9 23.08%
  • The Avengers

2 5.13%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy

0 0%
  • Black Panther

5 12.82%
  • Thor Ragnarok

0 0%
  • Avengers Infinity War

10 25.64%
  • Avengers Endgame

4 10.26%
  • Wandavision

1 2.56%
  • Loki

0 0%
  • Shang Chi

0 0%
  • Spider-Man No Way Home

4 10.26%
  • Other (Please Specify)

4 10.26%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What will be the best-regarded MCU film?

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been the best brand in movies for the last decade. But the question of its legacy is a little bit weird, because there are so many noteworthy films, even if something is just going to be considered the most popular of them eventually.

What is the MCU film most likely to pop up in best of lists ten years from now?

The main suspects seem to be...

Iron Man- The first Marvel Cinematic Universe film, with a comeback performance by Tony Stark and early hints of the shared universe to come.

The Avengers- The first of the big team-up movies. Up to that point, it was the most successful crossover film.

Guardians of the Galaxy- A well-regarded sci-fi romp. Established James Gunn as a major director, and made a star out of Chris Pratt.

Black Panther- The most commercially example of afrofuturism ever. Also the one MCU film that got a Best Picture nod (so far)

Thor Ragnarok- A showcase for Taika Waititi, who has established himself as an A-list director.

Avengers Infinity War- Earlier films do better in rankings (you'll find Star Wars above Empire Strikes Back and Fellowship of the Ring above Endgame.) It also has a high rating on IMDB.

Avengers Endgame- The culmination of the first decade of MCU films. It's the well-regarded payoff to all of it.

Wandavision- Perhaps you think the whole film/ TV divide is an anachronism, and what people will remember is Wandavision telling a fantasy horror story skewering TV history.

Loki- Any series that is compared favorably to Doctor Who is going to have a cult following.

Shang Chi- Successful blend of the MCU and a different genre (martial arts fantasy) with Hollywood recognizing the brilliance of Tony Leung.

Spider-Man No Way Home- Saved the box office post-COVID. Features characters who predated the MCU in a critically acclaimed box office smash.

There will also be an other option for anyone who thinks another film will be to the MCU what Easy Rider was to BBS, Singin' in the Rain was to Hollywood musicals, or The Godfather was to new Hollywoods.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 01-11-2022 at 05:46 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Over time, I think it will be the very first Iron Man.

There have been arguably better movies but rewatching Iron Man there's a certain "grit" and freshness that movie had.

It's Captain America, Winter Soldier. Which should be on your list.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

The Winter Soldier.

As much as the Infinity movies were great for the fun fan service-y moments....Black Panther was great for folks of color like myself....the first Ironman as the OG MCU movie....and other entries that come along the way NOTHING thus far has shaken the top spot on my list and that is The Winter Soldier.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Amazing Member

While Iron Man is still my favorite movie that started it all, Captain America had by far the best trilogy. Surprised this was ignored.

BANNED

While I personally wouldn't rate any of them higher than a B (I love superheroes, but there's only so much you can do when these are made as popcorn big-budget quippy action movies and Disney isn't moving off the formula while the billions roll in) I think it's a tie between Iron Man for being first and having the good sense to cast RDJr and Guardians 1 which sadly set the template that almost all of them to one extent or another follows. Fight, quip, fight, quip, bit of drama for contrast, quip, fight, and bad '70s music. Rinse, repeat, profit. On second thought, it'll be Iron Man because (I'd hope) people will eventually tire of the Guardians template.

Astonishing Member

Not like I've watched all their movies in the first place but I'd second any Winter Soldier good vibes. Me expecting a second coming of it in Black Widow is why I probably wouldn't rewatch that one if not for select Yelena/family scenes.

Iron Man really set the bar high IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Well I loved First Avenger and the first Iron Man film, about equally, and consider them the real kickoffs of the MCU. But the Avengers film didn't require the previous films to enjoy and it was a very good movie that was extremely popular with folks from all walks of life. Same could be said for the first Guardians of the Galaxy film. So for me, its between those two.

But I picked Avengers mainly because it was first of the two, was more grounded and was less reliant on humor.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Winter Soldier, easily.

Beyond that, Guardians of the Galaxy and the first Avengers are probably going to age really well. Infinity WarEndgame are going to be long remembered as the epics of the genre and I think the crossovers in Spider-Man: No Way Home will give that one a boost.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Am I the only one who thinks winter soldier was just okay?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I voted other: Blade

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I voted other: Blade
    It's not even made yet...?

BANNED

My vote goes to Iron Man 1 and I am happy to see it leading the poll here even if it is by an inch. it should be considered the best in terms of film making. Iron Man 1 is one of the very few MCU movies that felt more artistically aware that marvel was supposed to be making an actual film. I also liked that marvel back then felt like an indie studio, so there was more freedom to do things for the film makers.

The only pitfall of the film was the screenplay and writing, it was too much of an easy story, with no surprising twist or deeper commentary, however I usually fault this with the general marvel vision for building up to Avengers.

Most phase 1 movies Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America: First Avenger while they provided the less formulaic era of marvel, their story just felt more like leaves trying to from the branch. the branch been the Avengers films. However outside of that, Iron Man 1 is the best made MCU movie. It is one of the very few and maybe only MCU film that deserves a conversation with the best made marvel films from Sony/Fox and the DC-WB movies.

Also can we praise Iron Man 1 that the movie's iron suit was more practical effect than cgi, which gave it a more realistic and grounded look? compared to the more cartoonish suit he had in the later movies Infinity Wars/Endgame?
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2022 at 04:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks winter soldier was just okay?
    The movie is okay if you have seen other not MCU films. The era of phase 2 Marvel, post Avengers 1 in general set a very low standard for comic films because they were all supposed to be lighted hearted, action driven, quips, fun and nothing more.

Winter Solider was the only movie in that era that maybe diverted from that, this is why it is usually mentioned as one of their best films. it is considered their most mature and serious film to date. However I still would give the edge to Iron Man 1 for film making.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-12-2022 at 04:47 AM.