View Poll Results: What will be the best regarded MCU Film/ TV show to date?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Man

9 23.08%
  • The Avengers

2 5.13%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy

0 0%
  • Black Panther

5 12.82%
  • Thor Ragnarok

0 0%
  • Avengers Infinity War

10 25.64%
  • Avengers Endgame

4 10.26%
  • Wandavision

1 2.56%
  • Loki

0 0%
  • Shang Chi

0 0%
  • Spider-Man No Way Home

4 10.26%
  • Other (Please Specify)

4 10.26%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Spidey 2 is, IMHO, the best adult Spider-Man we're ever going to get. I don't think the character is going to be allowed to be an adult again for some time. Probably when I am dead! That is easily, IMHO, one of the 5 best comic book (not just super hero) movies of all time.

But this is an MCU thread! Or is it MCU adjacent now?
    I'm pretty sure we will get a grown up spiderman soon I think Sony is probably going to do there own spiderman movie or have him show up in Ven3 and he will probably be in his 20s or 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and IW and Dr strange
    Those are all good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah I like the Winter Soldier, but only for its action and humor. The movie sucks if you are one of the apparent few who actually care about developing Captain America's character rather than just having him be a symbol.
    I dunno; his "arc" seems to be about trying to find his way in a world where his values are seen as quaint or obsolete, which lead him to deciding that the former was more important than conformity (in subsequent movies, he pretty exclusively refuses to follow the rules if it means not doing the right thing or what he thinks is the right thing). He certainly does affect more change in other people than in himself in this specific story (I'd argue that this was a key step in Black Widow getting more dimension and shifting more to idealism), but it still holds.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Funny, to me Cap was rivaling Hawkeye for the least interesting character until The Winter Soldier came out which succeeded in making him far more intriguing. I mean, his biggest contribution to the first Avengers movie in terms of entertainment value was to act as the punching bag for Tony's verbal jabs.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I'm pretty sure we will get a grown up spiderman soon I think Sony is probably going to do there own spiderman movie or have him show up in Ven3 and he will probably be in his 20s or 30s.
    You may be on to something because Holland himself has said he was tired of playing spider-boy.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/to...-boy-comments/

Tom Holland Says He's Grateful He's No Longer "Spider-Boy" After Spider-Man: No Way Home

ah what we sweet vindication for us, who said this from the start that the spider-boy or the iron man junior stuff made no sense plus was making spiderman movies weak and not as great as the Raimi films. Many like me had to do a lot of deep explanation to explain, we were not maliciously hating on MCU Spiderman for saying this . we were just pointing put an honest point for the character based on superhero lore. I am happy Holland knew this was an issue as well but was likely under some agreement not to say much back then.

My only worry now is that Marvel now has access to a whole lot of teen heroes thanks to X-MEN. Kitty Pryde, X23, Jubilee, Magma...heck even Rogue in the comics is meant to be a lot younger than Jean, Psycloke and Storm and I fear Disney will just take this characters and turn them to what they made Ned and Michele Jones and Peter (Holland) should be.

In the comics, there were teen heroes, but I will liken them more to the Buffy teen characters which if we do research, Buffy was greatly inspired by Kitty Pryde. Disney tends to write teen characters very childish and lacking of any meaningful depth as they did with MCU Spiderman characters, when this teen heroes should be coming off age. This is a weakness that hurts the MCU Spiderman form been considered among the best regarded comic films because the story and direction gest affected by this narrative too.

Lastly you asked about Winter Solider. the plot is okay. however the character driven motivation could have been better and the movie could have used a better cinematography and direction to capture the Spy /Espionage genre it was clearly borrowing from. Winter Solider though maybe different in tone, still looks like all the other MCU movies in style.
    Last edited by Castle; 01-14-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    You may be on to something because Holland himself has said he was tired of playing spider-boy.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/to...-boy-comments/

Tom Holland Says He's Grateful He's No Longer "Spider-Boy" After Spider-Man: No Way Home

ah what we sweet vindication for us, who said this from the start that the spider-boy or the iron man junior stuff made no sense plus was making spiderman movies weak and not as great as the Raimi films. Many like me had to do a lot of deep explanation to explain, we were not maliciously hating on MCU Spiderman for saying this . we were just pointing put an honest point for the character based on superhero lore. I am happy Holland knew this was an issue as well but was likely under some agreement not to say much back then.
    Read the article; there's nothing about Holland being unhappy that he was playing a kid Spider-Man in the past trilogy, just that they're moving onto new things in the next trilogy.

Also, in regards to making "honest points based on superhero lore," the MCU Spider-Man is based on the Ultimate comics, where a lot of the stuff you've objected to is part of the lore.

My only worry now is that Marvel now has access to a whole lot of teen heroes thanks to X-MEN. Kitty Pryde, X23, Jubilee, Magma...heck even Rogue in the comics is meant to be a lot younger than Jean, Psycloke and Storm and I fear Disney will just take this characters and turn them to what they made Ned and Michele Jones and Peter (Holland) should be.
    Would like an X-23 movie; am still bummed that the one James Mangold wanted to do never got off the ground.

In the comics, there were teen heroes, but I will liken them more to the Buffy teen characters which if we do research, Buffy was greatly inspired by Kitty Pryde. Disney tends to write teen characters very childish and lacking of any meaningful depth as they did with MCU Spiderman characters, when this teen heroes should be coming off age. This is a weakness that hurts the MCU Spiderman form been considered among the best regarded comic films because the story and direction gest affected by this narrative too.
    Except Disney actually has a pretty good track record with teen characters. Big Hero 6 and the TV show Gravity Falls come to mind. If you want to include Pixar, consider Inside Out and Onward. Also, as we saw in Spider-Man: No Way Home, the MCU Spider-Man teens are anything but shallow and "childish."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Except Disney actually has a pretty good track record with teen characters. Big Hero 6 and the TV show Gravity Falls come to mind. If you want to include Pixar, consider Inside Out and Onward. Also, as we saw in Spider-Man: No Way Home, the MCU Spider-Man teens are anything but shallow and "childish."
    Sshh! Don't get in the way of Castle bashing the MCU for some imaginary fault.

It's like arguing Winter Soldier was bad not because they combined a superhero movie with an espionage movie, but didn't mimic an old spy movie in how it looked. Which would have made it a parody rather than a very good movie. And BTW the Fury car chase scene looked just like a modern James Bond movie anyway. But hey, let's find another way to bash the MCU that's irrelevant.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-15-2022 at 07:58 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sshh! Don't get in the way of Castle bashing the MCU for some imaginary fault.
    He does love to hate it.

It's like arguing Winter Soldier was bad not because they combined a superhero movie with an espionage movie, but didn't mimic an old spy movie in how it looked. Which would have made it a parody rather than a very good movie.
    Never really got the "they all look the same" argument, not only because they don't, but because of all the variation in tone. Even if most of them use a lot of humor, it's different kinds of humor (consider the absurdity of Thor: Ragnarok to the quips in the original Avengers or the sarcastic streak in Guardians of the Galaxy).

And BTW the Fury car chase scene looked just like a modern James Bond movie anyway. But hey, let's find another way to bash the MCU that's irrelevant.
    Remember in the audio commentary that the directors explained that they put a lot of thought into making a car chase scene that didn't just do the same old. Heck, if you listen to the commentary, it's pretty clear that the Russos took the project as seriously as they did their own stuff and didn't treat it like a mass-produced franchise product. Same goes for most of the other directors hired for the MCU; read what they have to say and they talk a lot about the creative freedom they had and how they wanted to do these projects and all that.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Remember in the audio commentary that the directors explained that they put a lot of thought into making a car chase scene that didn't just do the same old. Heck, if you listen to the commentary, it's pretty clear that the Russos took the project as seriously as they did their own stuff and didn't treat it like a mass-produced franchise product. Same goes for most of the other directors hired for the MCU; read what they have to say and they talk a lot about the creative freedom they had and how they wanted to do these projects and all that.
    But never let the facts get in the way of a good bashing.

It will depend upon who you ask, of course. Critics? Popular opinion? Long term popular opinion?

I'm partial to the first Iron-Man because it was very good and was pre-Disney. But I'm very warm towards Spider-Man: NWH because...

spoilers:
    ...it really takes things to a very un-fluffy place and actually furthers other movies. We learned that, after the events of the two Garfield movies, he went off the deep end and it is implied he killed some people or so I took the "I stopped holding back" to mean. I wouldn't say it quite does that for the Tobey movies but it sure gives him a better farewell than Spider-Man 3.
    end of spoilers
    Power with Girl is better.