Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default Superior 4 #1 Discussion (Superior 4 and ASM 85 Spoilers)

I liked this issue, it was very fun, and seems to take place after the also released today ASM #85. spoilers:
    In ASM 85 Ock’s arms get blown up, the pair he is wearing here is attached along his spine, much like the Raimi version.
    end of spoilers It’s strange that it’s emphasized how “Doctor Octopus” isn’t a reoccurring multiversal constant, when we know this is not true due to the multiple Spider-Verse based realities. I like how the Spider-Man/Otto Parker version of Otto is wearing a variation of 616 Ottos’ outfit. A lot of the story revolves around how Otto had an abusive father, staying true to Otto’s history. He seems to specifically recruit variants of himself/heroes that also had an abusive father. I wish we saw a bit more good in Otto like we have still been seeing in ASM, because it still puts a bad taste in my mouth that Otto would go back to being this evil after being a hero for so long. Loved this first issue, and look forward to Thompson’s future issues!

Astonishing Member

Spoilers:

How did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Spoilers:

How did that happen?
    spoilers:
    Otto set the arms to self destruct, and Ben tossed the arms out of harms way before they exploded
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    spoilers:
    Otto set the arms to self destruct, and Ben tossed the arms out of harms way before they exploded
    end of spoilers
    Thanks a lot man!

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I was kind of meh on this. This feels like Venomverse or Gwenverse where we're just meeting marvel heroes that look like Otto. Kind of boring. :/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I was really disappointed that the Superior 4 are just "Marvel hero but Doc Ock" rather than four similar but unique Ocks. That would have been much more interesting.

This was fun enough but clearly this is nothing lasting, deep or substantial.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I really dislike the Marvel trend of character+another character=combo character, it is the least creative thing possible and they are constantly doing it in the last 10 years.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

It was OK. Feels like Marvel throwing a bone to those of us who were Superior fans. Doesn't erase the sting of wiping out years of character growth. Still, it was entertaining, but I thought we were getting other versions of Otto, and not mash-ups, as others have said. And the first one he killed was the most interesting, to me. I was hoping for an A-list worthy story, but we got Otto-lite instead.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I was really disappointed that the Superior 4 are just "Marvel hero but Doc Ock" rather than four similar but unique Ocks. That would have been much more interesting.

This was fun enough but clearly this is nothing lasting, deep or substantial.
    That’s what I thought we were getting from the cover art, that could have been much more interesting, and pull in some familiar AUs