BANNED

Default Killing Joke when it was the 'Joker' graphic novel

For old school fans, does anyone know or recall how it was announced back in the day, before it was 'The Killing Joke' and was titled as a Joker graphic novel, presumably before it was ever going to be printed on glossy cardstock. Just curious about how many things product-wise changed from start to finish.

When did Moore first write it? The old Batman and Detective letters pages seem to indicate it was written around early 1985, and DC waited awhile to give Bolland the go-ahead to draw it, but I don't have the one where they formally announce it and how it was going to roll out when it did.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil1 View Post
    For old school fans, does anyone know or recall how it was announced back in the day, before it was 'The Killing Joke' and was titled as a Joker graphic novel, presumably before it was ever going to be printed on glossy cardstock. Just curious about how many things product-wise changed from start to finish.

When did Moore first write it? The old Batman and Detective letters pages seem to indicate it was written around early 1985, and DC waited awhile to give Bolland the go-ahead to draw it, but I don't have the one where they formally announce it and how it was going to roll out when it did.
    I never knew about the title change.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I never knew about the title change.
    Yeah, it was just going to be called 'Joker.' They talked about it in the letters pages of the books in 1985 and 86, but unfortunately I don't have the one where they announced it and you can only find those in the original issues. There might've been more info in the fanzines at the time, I dunno.

Incredible Member

In Ecuador we were lucky to get any comic books at newstands, we'd get by with Spanish transalated reprints of older material but for a brief time around 1988 we were getting the actual English comics almost months after their US release and yeah I'd read the letter columns of a new Joker graphic novel coming out and how Denny O'Neil was hyping it as a big event, that along with the Batman '89 movie.

Astonishing Member

I don't recall any forward discussion about it, but it's possible that it was mentioned in a fanzine. 'Back Issue' would probably be the best source on how it was developed, but I don't know if they covered it or not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I don't recall any forward discussion about it, but it's possible that it was mentioned in a fanzine. 'Back Issue' would probably be the best source on how it was developed, but I don't know if they covered it or not.
    I checked after you mentioned it and they briefly talked about it in Back Issue #3, but not in-depth about the origins or genesis. I would be really interested if someone recalls when it was for sure written by Moore. Chuck Dixon has mentioned that DC held off on letting Bolland start drawing it until they decided whether or not to let the script through as is, which may explain why he was able to illustrate part of Batman 400- I never could wrap my head around why he stopped in the middle of work to draw an unrelated Batman comic, but that makes sense. If that's the case it took him a much more reasonable (well relatively) 18-20 months to draw it than the three years some have mentioned.