Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

While I can't come up with a definitive single "absolute favorite cover ever", for this week I'll go with the cover of the comic book that really got me into this mess and started my fascination with heroes from the Golden Age: Justice League of America #101.

As a side note, I don't even own this issue myself.

That summer, my oldest sister was away working at a Girl Scout camp, and she had asked my Mom to pick up the comic books she normally bought herself when my Mom went to the store and was buying her own regular magazines. (This was back before local comic book shops were much of a thing.) While I was away for a week on vacation with my parents in Kennebunkport, Maine, I was helping my Mom find comic books for my sister on the spinner rack at the Rexall drug store in that town, and this issue was one of those we bought for my sister.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

So many to choose from but I'll follow MajorHoy's lead and use the first Marvel comic I read. My brother still has this stored away. I like how they sneaked in a promo for the fledging Marvel fan club that Stan Lee came up with....the Merry Marvel Marching Society

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-13-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've been a big fan of Archie Comics since the mid 1970's, as most folks here probably guessed from the numerous Archie related covers I've posted in the contest. Dan DeCarlo (who, in my biased opinion, doesn't get much in the way of props as a major comic book artist) and his work on Betty and Veronica for something like five decades has always enthralled me, and this eyecatching cover with Betty wearing inhumanly tight jeans is my favorite!

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-13-2022 at 04:36 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

BANNED

Blugh, tough. I know I'll think of another later and hate myself, but one of the reasons I got into comics in the first place was reading my uncle Bernie's B&W Conan magazines (Savage Sword, Saga). And of course Joe Jusko's covers stood out among the pack (though many great artists lent their talents to those covers). Almost went with a BWS one (that Red Nails special especially, or perhaps the Saga reprint of the Tower of the Elephant) but this one always stood out to me:

Conan.jpg

This is a difficult choice. Made a bit easier by WBE already using one of my shortlist. So I pick this cover of Storm, even though a Greg Land cover is probably not the wisest choice in a contest
    I just love the energy and the emotions it makes me feel.

Jaime Hernandez does a brilliant job with this cover explaining the current state of the long and fabled Maggie/Hopey relationship. From this one (nearly) textless picture, we have how Maggie is feeling, an idea of what she's hoping for, knowing how Hopey is reacting (or not), where they are (despite a glaring error of non-reversal of lettering in the mirror), as well as a truly adult aspect. It's truly a representation of the contents of the story.

Love and Rockets New Stories #7, well worth your vote next Tuesday.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Going with this Alan Davis/Paul Neary cover from a great time to be an X-men fan. The cover captures a real character moment from the story, where they have Sabertooth in custody but Psylocke suggests they release him to fight Wolverine so she can read his mind while he is distracted. From the moment the two begin fighting, you can tell that there is no mission or purpose for them, they just lose it and start fighting with an intense hate for each other and themselves. They keep fighting and ripping and tearing into each other until long after Psylocke has read Sabertooth's mind, and keep fighting and fighting across the Braddock mansion, the grounds, down the cliffs into the ocean until finally Sabertooth and Wolverine get separated by the ocean waves. When the other X-Men come to get Wolverine and bring him back to the mansion he is still out there splashing around looking to find Sabertooth and fight some more. It is Claremont at his peak and one of those signature kinds of things Claremont always did with his characters. The character moment was so good you just didn't want the fight to end.

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-13-2022 at 11:14 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Chris Bachalo in his prime!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Probably this.

TinTin was called Tim in Germany?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    TinTin was called Tim in Germany?

Yeah. Lame, I know. Always hated it.

Like some here, I don't have a favorite cover, but this one is in my top five.

The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

This one is up there:

I remember when Infinity Gauntlet came out. And you see all of these big power players about to intercede.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

look at those ears
    LOOK at them!