View Poll Results: Would you like OMD to be undone?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I hated OMD and I would like to see it undone and the marriage restored.

136 70.47%
  • No, things are fine exactly the way they are.

57 29.53%
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    What I don't get is the people saying because of OMD, they will never read or buy Spider-Man again. Maybe it's just me, but every bit of entertainment I have every followed (Movies, music, comics, TV shows, books, etc) had at least one bad thing I didn't like (a bad storyline, a bad song on an album, etc). If I were to drop everything that had something I didn't agree with, I would have a life with no entertainment.

It can get better, though. At the very least, give it a chance. To miss out on something that may appeal to you because of a story that is almost 10 years old, is a little silly.

Would I like OMD to be undone? I'll submit a write in answer. I don't care, just give me good stories and let's stop living in the past.

There are plenty of things people give up on because they don't like them. But, luckily for the fans of the marriage we have Stan Lee's newspaper comic to fall back on which I read everyday and actually consider to be the true Spider-Man over Marvel's version...even more so since what they have done with the characters of Peter and Mary Jane since OMD.

I don't buy the books. I borrow them from a friend to read or I keep track via the internet on what's going on with the characters. But, I still consider the newspaper comic version to be the true Spider-Man over Marvel's version due to OMD.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker4730 View Post
    There are plenty of things people give up on because they don't like them. But, luckily for the fans of the marriage we have Stan Lee's newspaper comic to fall back on which I read everyday and actually consider to be the true Spider-Man over Marvel's version...even more so since what they have done with the characters of Peter and Mary Jane since OMD.

I don't buy the books. I borrow them from a friend to read or I keep track via the internet on what's going on with the characters. But, I still consider the newspaper comic version to be the true Spider-Man over Marvel's version due to OMD.
    it funny they got marry because jim shooter want comic have it first before newspaper strip they wasn't dating at time

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    What I don't get is the people saying because of OMD, they will never read or buy Spider-Man again. Maybe it's just me, but every bit of entertainment I have every followed (Movies, music, comics, TV shows, books, etc) had at least one bad thing I didn't like (a bad storyline, a bad song on an album, etc). If I were to drop everything that had something I didn't agree with, I would have a life with no entertainment.

It can get better, though. At the very least, give it a chance. To miss out on something that may appeal to you because of a story that is almost 10 years old, is a little silly.

Would I like OMD to be undone? I'll submit a write in answer. I don't care, just give me good stories and let's stop living in the past.
    For me, it really put a nail into the franchise because it pulled back the veil and exposed the truth. Marvel, at least the current regime, don't want this character to continue to develop. They want the status quo they have now, and there will be no permanent deviations from that status quo. No romantic relationship matters, because it has to end, no career gains or personal accomplishments matter, because they will eventually be undone. So on and so forth.

It showed me the truth about modern Marvel comics like nothing before it had quite managed to do, and it killed my interest in the character. I didn't boycott the title out of spite or some misguided concept of ownership. I stopped buying it (and several other books) because my view of the medium was jaded in a way that it wasn't before, and I lost a lot of interest.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy was written under Quesada's vision? The 94 animated series was written under Quesada's vision? People who Quesada can neither hire nor fire were writing under his vision? I think you are mistaken.
    In all fairness, the 94 cartoon DID eventually work it's way to the marriage. I don't remember if they ever actually pulled it off, but it was in there.

I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    In all fairness, the 94 cartoon DID eventually work it's way to the marriage. I don't remember if they ever actually pulled it off, but it was in there.

If memory serves, that was a dream sequence. It's been nearly 20 years since I've seen it, but there was a wedding that never concluded in a marriage because MJ was kidnapped in the middle of it (I think), and then by the last episode somehow he was never married and was somehow engaged to Gwen Stacy. Either way, it treated the idea of marriage as the end of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    Never married or single?
    He can be single and divorced/ widowed.

I prefer single with the marriage erased.

"I don't care" isn't a choice because the point of this poll is to determine whether or not people want OMD undone and the marriage restored not for those who don't care to have a say in the matter.

Those who don't care take away votes from the whole point of the poll.
    I prefer for polls to offer room for possible nuanced opinions. IE- If there's a poll on whether Roger Stern is a good writer, "Yes, he's the best writer ever" and "No, he's awful" aren't the only possible choices. Sometimes it can just be a yes or no, though the options here were flawed. Someone might think One More Day could be undone without hating the story.

An advantage of having an option for those who don't care is that it can help gauge how motivated fans are.

Though I'd assume fans who don't care would just vote for the status quo.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

If memory serves, that was a dream sequence. It's been nearly 20 years since I've seen it, but there was a wedding that never concluded in a marriage because MJ was kidnapped in the middle of it (I think), and then by the last episode somehow he was never married and was somehow engaged to Gwen Stacy. Either way, it treated the idea of marriage as the end of the story.
    You're right. They didn't make it through the ceremony. So they did not get married in the '90's cartoon.

On another note, what is it about OMD that seems to make some fans go insane. It can't be a change in the status quo. There always is a change of the status quo in Spider-Man (see finishing high school, or the death of Gwen or getting a new costume, or being replaced by a clone, or....). It can't be because of a bad story. Spider-Man has had bad stories before (see the clone saga, or the final chapter and the relaunch after that, or Denny O'Neil's run, or...)

Bad stories are subjective. Somebody likes these stories. Someone liked OMD. And the status quo comes back around (the only real status quo of Spider-Man is that he's Peter Parker, a 20 something year old man that lives in New York). So what makes OMD different?

Most of the responses to this question are saying it's just nostalgia. That's how it was when some people started reading Spider-Man. Understandable, but nostalgia is a tricky thing. For example, Battle of the Planets was my favorite cartoon as a little kid. In the 90's it started coming back on TV. This time it didn't have the extra stuff with 7 zark 7 (that was the robot's name, right?). I hated it. "No robot, that's wack" is what I said. Then later I saw the ones with the robot in it. I was wrong. The robot appealed to 6 year old emac, but now 20 something year old emac was like "what the hell was I on back then. This is the dumbest thing I saw". My point being, the marriage was nothing special or great. It didn't read like a married couple, to me at least. You could say MJ and Peter were not married, they were just dating and not a damn thing would change in the story.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia. Just don't let it color the reality. This is just my two cents. If you feel different, well as we say, we all have opinions.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    So, the writers hated the marriage.

They kept trying to end it.

The fans loved the marriage.

Every time the writers tried to kill the marriage, the fans were outraged and the writers had to relent.

Marvel killed the marriage this time.

The fans were outraged.

Marvel decided to say "Eff you all! WE don't like the marriage, and we're keeping it gone!"

Marvel is in the customer service business.

Their customers want the marriage.

Marvel is refusing to service their customers.

Conclusion? Marvel writers are selfish.
    There weren't many previous attempts to end the marriage.

It was mainly the Clone Saga, and the period in which MJ was believed dead, something that was always meant to be temporary. There were many other problems with the clone saga and Mackie's last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Business was "good" with the marriage in place.

Ending the marriage didn't increase or decrease business in any long-term way.

Clearly the marriage was no obstacle to "good business.'

Thus? It was ended only due to the selfishness of Marvel's current regime.
    There are a few assumptions here.

Part of the argument against the marriage was that there wasn't anywhere to go with that story point.

So continuing it would have been problematic. The lack of an obvious decrease was enough, because it meant that Marvel successfully avoided a worse scenario down the line.

When you have a newspaper comic of Peter and Mary Jane being married it reminds you that they were also once married in the actual comic book as well.

Marvel decided to copycat what Stan Lee decided to do with the characters of Peter and Mary Jane in his newspaper comic. If they didn't like the idea then they shouldn't have done it in the first place, but once they did they should've stuck it through and did what Stan Lee continues to do to this day...write good stories of a married Peter and Mary Jane.

OMD messed up a lot of things in continuity and altered characters like Black Cat which Slott is even making worse due to such a thing happening in the first place. Black Cat wouldn't be so easily turned to become a villain character again like Slott is doing to her now if she still had the memories of having Peter in her life. Peter's friendship influenced her a great deal in a very positive way and made her into a great character pre-OMD. OMD ruined all that for her character.

As far as I'm concerned OMD did far more damage than just undoing the marriage of Peter and Mary Jane.
    The existence of the comic strip is not a major deal for most fans. It would only change the mind of those who check out websites where it's available, or have a subscription to a newspaper that carries it. And there aren't many that do so.

Close enough.

Mary Jane was kidnapped by the Green Goblin, and trapped in some alternate dimension.
    A Mary Jane appeared, got engaged to Peter and married him, but it was revealed to be a clone.
    So the series ended with Peter searching for the real MJ.

The Peter engaged to Gwen came from an alternate universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Any reader can get past OMD easily by simply refusing to allow themselves to dwell on it. Instead, we have people here who actively stoke their own anger to prove some ridiculous point.
    Past the initial time frame of reading a story and dealing with your feelings, the negative feelings should start to fade away to nothing over time. The only way to keep up a level of hate
    for an extended amount of time is by working to keep it that way. There's a huge group of readers who have spent 7 years now keeping themselves disgruntled because of an imagined slight
    to them by a business entity. They use things like these boards to find others like themselves as a way of keeping themselves pissed off by harping on OMD, and punish themselves by not
    buying or reading anything with this character they love so much that they have altered their life completely in some ridiculous protest. Congratulations, all. It takes a lot of determination
    and hard work to stay mad at something for 7 years, especially something inconsequential. You should be proud that you poisoned your soul with resentment for so long. That will surely have
    nothing but positive things heading your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    There weren't many previous attempts to end the marriage.

It was mainly the Clone Saga, and the period in which MJ was believed dead, something that was always meant to be temporary. There were many other problems with the clone saga and Mackie's last year.

There are a few assumptions here.

Part of the argument against the marriage was that there wasn't anywhere to go with that story point.

So continuing it would have been problematic. The lack of an obvious decrease was enough, because it meant that Marvel successfully avoided a worse scenario down the line.

The existence of the comic strip is not a major deal for most fans. It would only change the mind of those who check out websites where it's available, or have a subscription to a newspaper that carries it. And there aren't many that do so.

Close enough.

Mary Jane was kidnapped by the Green Goblin, and trapped in some alternate dimension.
    A Mary Jane appeared, got engaged to Peter and married him, but it was revealed to be a clone.
    So the series ended with Peter searching for the real MJ.

The Peter engaged to Gwen came from an alternate universe.
    I agree with the bolded line. After marriage comes children. If that happens, no more Spider-Man. Why? Because Peter is all about responsibility. How is he responsible if he's swinging around Manhattan when he has a baby at home? How is he being responsible if he gets killed in battle, leaving his wife and kid(s) alone without him? How is he being responsible dressing up as a human spider when he has enemies like Osborn (no 'e'), Fisk and Carnage who if they found out who he really is, would kill his kid in a heartbeat. Please don't say "well MJ still married him". MJ is an adult that can make up her own mind. A baby can't do that.

Marriage is the end of the Spider-Man story.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

BANNED

No. "Superior" should be undone before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why say this? Isn't the story over? What is to be undone?
    When the fire blows

BANNED

Why do you deserve respect?
    Because we are all human beings and as such we should be treating each other with respect.

Are you special or something?
    No more or less special than anyone else on the planet that deserves the same respect as any other human being should get.

Why is he supposed to have empathy for people obsessed over a fictional marriage?
    Because people actually care about such characters despite them being fictional. If they didn't then people wouldn't be reading comics in the first place.

Is that behavior he should be encouraging?
    Actually...yes it is.

To have respect for our fellow human beings is something that definitely needs to be encouraged.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

Actually undoing OMD would also undo or alter all the stories done after OMD, so Superior Spider-Man doesn't need to be undone first. They can just jump right to undoing OMD as far as I'm concerned.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He can be single and divorced/ widowed.

I prefer single with the marriage erased.

I prefer for polls to offer room for possible nuanced opinions. IE- If there's a poll on whether Roger Stern is a good writer, "Yes, he's the best writer ever" and "No, he's awful" aren't the only possible choices. Sometimes it can just be a yes or no, though the options here were flawed. Someone might think One More Day could be undone without hating the story.

An advantage of having an option for those who don't care is that it can help gauge how motivated fans are.

Though I'd assume fans who don't care would just vote for the status quo.
    I stand by my original comment on the matter because in this case a "yes" and "no" in regards to this poll are the only choices that are necessary for the sake of the poll.

Besides, the whole point of OMD was to undo the marriage. Which means if you don't like the fact that the marriage was undone it means that you would hate the story of OMD or any other story that would undo the marriage.

It's simple logic.
    Last edited by Thinker4730; 08-31-2014 at 12:25 AM.