Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did Marvel ever explain why they cancelled Luke Cage: City of Fire?

Its really weird to cancel a tie in series when the main character is so pivotal to the plot. Also COF was looking to be a banger with great art and a bomb story by Anderson. And seeing as its almost the 50th anniversary for one of their few original black heroes its not a good look at all.

https://twitter.com/DavidWalker1201/...09474464161794

Quote Originally Posted by David Walker
    There are only two reasons a title is cancelled this late in the game. #1 - pre-orders were too low to warrant the cost of printing. #2 - someone high up on the Marvel/Disney food chain saw something in the series that didn't sit well with them, and decided to kill it.

If the cancellation is because of low pre-orders, we'll eventually see a digital release. But if there's another reason like someone at Marvel/Disney had a problem with the book, then it will collect dust for a long time (possibly forever). Either way, it's a bullshit move.
    The book involved cops killing a black man. So George Floyd could be the problem that got it axed.

https://screenrant.com/luke-cage-cit...lained-comics/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

it's messed up. but hey. the character endures. I guess.

Some kind of mini series needs to happen this year.

A bitter New Warriors fan MitchFox's Avatar

Sheeesh...Those People (and corporations) are getting too oversensitive nowadays. Heck, even Luke Cage's origin story has prison abuse before Luke got the superpowers.
    Some comics like Luke Cage: City on Fire got the Kibblesmith Effect (which means that the comic is victim of delays and then, cancelled before it could be published for the event tie-in). The only difference about this cancellation of the title is that Luke Cage mini-series didn't even receive any backlash compared to the disastrous Kibblesmith's New New Warriors. It just went unnoticed as Marvel didn't care about promoting it and the delays didn't help.
    Last edited by MitchFox; 01-13-2022 at 10:31 AM.
    Tumblr: http://oxymitch.tumblr.com/

MITCH'S FAVOURITES - Speedball, Justice (Vance Astrovik), Gambit, Jubilee, Rogue, Wiccan, Speed, Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), Quicksilver, She-Hulk, Cosmo

They haven't even addressed that New Warriors debacle. They just wrote it off as a COVID related cancellation and never mentioned it again.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it wasn't the subject matter.

I think whatever the content the story was going to cover completely conflicted with what Zdarsky was doing in Devil's Reign. Seemed like Marvel was going to try and brute force it to be a tie-in but now it also turns out that Luke is actually a major character in the Devil's Reign book, so Marvel just canned the mini instead.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchFox View Post
    Sheeesh...Those People (and corporations) are getting too oversensitive nowadays. Heck, even Luke Cage's origin story has prison abuse before Luke got the superpowers.
    Some comics like Luke Cage: City on Fire got the Kibblesmith Effect (which means that the comic is victim of delays and then, cancelled before it could be published for the event tie-in). The only difference about this cancellation of the title is that Luke Cage mini-series didn't even receive any backlash compared to the disastrous Kibblesmith's New New Warriors. It just went unnoticed as Marvel didn't care about promoting it and the delays didn't help.
    How was it disastrous? It never came out. You mean the crybabies who probably were NEVER going to buy it? Who pretty much acted like comicsgate throwing fits over a book before it came out?

The main difference between the two is Luke's book got canned a few days AFTER Final Cutoff to order books. No way Marvel could have known how many copies got ordered that quick.

If this was about orders-I can list some books that should have got the ax before they came out...
    Solo, Black Panther World of Wakanda & Starbrand & Nightmask (the inker for the book was SHOCKED someone read that book when I told him I do).
    I heard Solo was not ordered by a TON of stores by my store owner. He was the ONLY store that ordered it in the entire city.

Warriors on the other hand-Marvel OWES a lot of folks a reason for that book not coming out because there are stores that owe folks a refund including those who ordered Mark Bagley variant on Ebay and Marvel too for those who may have bought the subscription from them.
    Instead of dodging the question.

I suggest this is a case of the story probably getting it axed.

Interesting enough there are folks on EBAY still selling the book. With something listed as sold.
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 01-13-2022 at 06:21 PM.

needs to be a Luke Cage solo ongoing. at least a maxi series, 12 issues.
    I'd love for Christopher priest to write it but there's his hang up about being pigeonholed.
    I'd like Olivier Coipel to be the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They haven't even addressed that New Warriors debacle. They just wrote it off as a COVID related cancellation and never mentioned it again.
    If they really cancelled because of the backlash then that's really cowardly. They should've stuck by it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    If they really cancelled because of the backlash then that's really cowardly. They should've stuck by it.
    I doubt they cancelled it just for that reason. It would have sold a ton just on curiosity at that point.

We just don't know what happened. They took it off the schedule because comic shops were shut due to COVID, never rescheduled it, and just haven't acknowledged it since. Was COVID the reason for cancellation, was it the backlash over Snowflake and Safespace, did it contradict Champions causing a continuity problem (like what CrimsonEchidna suggested could be to blame for Luke Cage's cancellation), or was it just a lack of pre-orders? That's unknown.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 01-14-2022 at 07:01 AM.

Would not surprise me if comic shops simply refused to put it on their shelves. Marvel continues to bend over for a model that will never expand comics. It's really discouraging and actually quite upsetting that i care so much some times but i do love comics.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How was it disastrous? It never came out. You mean the crybabies who probably were NEVER going to buy it? Who pretty much acted like comicsgate throwing fits over a book before it came out?

The main difference between the two is Luke's book got canned a few days AFTER Final Cutoff to order books. No way Marvel could have known how many copies got ordered that quick.

If this was about orders-I can list some books that should have got the ax before they came out...
    Solo, Black Panther World of Wakanda & Starbrand & Nightmask (the inker for the book was SHOCKED someone read that book when I told him I do).
    I heard Solo was not ordered by a TON of stores by my store owner. He was the ONLY store that ordered it in the entire city.

Warriors on the other hand-Marvel OWES a lot of folks a reason for that book not coming out because there are stores that owe folks a refund including those who ordered Mark Bagley variant on Ebay and Marvel too for those who may have bought the subscription from them.
    Instead of dodging the question.

I suggest this is a case of the story probably getting it axed.

Interesting enough there are folks on EBAY still selling the book. With something listed as sold.
    I never understood the backlash considering it looked heavily to be a comedy book, written by a guy thats done comedy books before.

I assume the higher ups nixt it. It's not like they care if the customers want overly political agendas in the comics so I doubt the politics in the book had anything tondo with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    needs to be a Luke Cage solo ongoing. at least a maxi series, 12 issues.
    I'd love for Christopher priest to write it but there's his hang up about being pigeonholed.
    I'd like Olivier Coipel to be the artist.
    What about Luke Cage written by Al Ewing? You think he could have put out a good book? Personally I remember how he used Luke in Mighty Avengers, it wasn't too bad.