All-New Member

Default Collecting and the middle age man

I don't post here all that often, but I wanted to get some feedback.. I'm just a couple years away from the big 5-0, just moved into a new place, and seeing all my comics/graphic novels/trades in one room (finally) in about 50 short boxes has me contemplating where I go next. I rarely pick up new single issues, instead focusing on trades if it's something that looks really good, but mostly back issues from 70s and 80s to fill in old runs or explore stories and creators I wasn't able to read or collect back then. Anyway, seeing all these boxes of books has me questioning what I really want to keep as I set up my new comic room.
    I don't do spec or investment buying, and I don't do slabs, but I've noticed that most all YouTube comic videos are dedicated to those aspects. Would a YouTube channel devoted to my journey of setting up a new room, culling my collection, discussing stories and creators and comic book history sound like something others would find interesting? Or if it's not spec and hot lists and slab unboxings would it be setting out there garnering no interest?

I'm also 50!

I got on the ground-floor of buying big Omnibus collections when they first started releasing them (2005, roughly?), and soon after that, I stopped buying floppies. And it's been great! I boxed up everything long ago, and I can't even bring myself to flip through them - I'm in the process of separating all the floppies that I can sell for a decent amount, and just donating the rest.
    And my hardcover collection looks great on the shelves and very welcoming, and doesn't give me the anxiety my long-boxes did. I also love to just pull one of those big books and flip through them whenever. I have room for about 5 or 6 more books, and after that, if I buy more, I'll have to sell one to buy one - for me, it's about quality over quantity - though I do have a lot!

I'll post some pics later.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As a reader first, I'd much rather watch YouTube videos like you describe than slabbing and unboxing videos - neither of which I've ever seen the appeal of.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I’m in the same predicament in terms of age and collection size. I have a whole room in my house filled with long and short boxes and hardcovers and TPBs. My wife is less than thrilled. Would love to hear about your experience shrinking your collection.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I’m in the same predicament in terms of age and collection size. I have a whole room in my house filled with long and short boxes and hardcovers and TPBs. My wife is less than thrilled. Would love to hear about your experience shrinking your collection.
    So what I did (after getting rid of the long-boxes - those are of no use to anyone) is better organize my hard-covers, and my wife was on board (I let her know how much the books meant to me, and how valuable they are), letting me keep them up and on display, as long as they're well organized and not cluttered. So what we have below is 12 shelves (of 16 total - the other 4 shelves are elsewhere in the room/house), flanking a murphy-bed in our office/guest-room. It looks good and they're well accessible. I have room for about 5 more big books (which I have coming over this next year), and after that, I'll have to sell something if I want to buy something new.

bed.jpg

All-New Member

So I've discovered that the room I'm going to be using as my comic book room gets warmer than the rest of the house since it's upstairs and the thermostat is downstairs. So before I start unpacking books, filling up bookshelves, displaying comics and such, I'm gonna investigate getting a mini split installed upstairs to make it more comfortable. Looks like my project is on hold

Good luck with your new efforts Tom!
    I would love to watch about your collection on Youtube for sure!

I'm a decade away from the half century mark, but I stopped collecting/reading comics in '09. (I still have a bunch of long boxes left, buried away in my storage room.) I'm getting back into comics via collected editions (I haven't the time or space to fill my home with individual comics), but I would enjoy seeing YouTube videos of your comics room and your ongoing collection efforts!
    Last edited by Sisko_82; 01-17-2022 at 11:18 AM.

I'd be interested in watching videos on your collection too!

I'm a 57 year old woman who has gotten more and more into collected editions and I'd like to see videos of how collectors are able to reduce their collections. As I go through my collection, I'm looking at what I can bind to hopefully one day have all my favorite comics on shelves. Not to mention being able to save the money I pay on a storage locker. That would help me buy more collected editions, I noticed I read those more than the current issues i buy, as they come out and not have to wait for reprints if they sell out.

All-New Member

Still getting estimates on installing a mini split system for the upstairs, so it still may be a while before setting up my comic room and sorting through my collection. Didn't stop me from adding to it though, as I stumbled across a couple of heavily discounted books (Conan Busiek omni and Watchmen Annotated). I'm going to a used bookstore with my wife this weekend and that is always dangerous.

All-New Member

Well it is now April and nothing has moved forward yet. I have some work that was supposed to have started a month or so ago that needs to be completed before I install the new mini splits, so my comic room is still just boxes of comics. Because the box was handy I did start rereading Atari Force, and getting into a set of Dreadstar I picked up not too long ago.
    So far the first few issues have been a lot of fun, but I'm wondering if I need to wait and pick up the Metamorphosis Odyssey before getting too far into Dreadstar. The first issue did seem to give a good synopsis as far as I can tell.