Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    What bad press? Were there some articles in media written about Yara being offensive?
    I don't think there was any bad press, I didn't see anything not even from Brazilian news sources.

The tweet posted was from over a year ago before Wonder Girl issue #1 was even a published.

Also in a couple of Brazilian online articles that I have read they noted that Yara would be connected to gods from different cultures.

I don't want to live in a comics world where this is canceled but Son of Kal-El just keeps chugging along despite sucking so monumentally bad. Yara is a good new character, which has been extremely rare in this era of DC.

But I guess I'm still looking at this in the "ridiculous", outdated model of writing comics for writing comics. Looking at it from the sad point of view that everything done now is just IP mining for other media, it makes more sense. Wonder Girl show not happening anymore? Screw the book. And I'm not saying the book was perfect or anything like that. Had lots of flaws. But the character has lots of potential.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-17-2022 at 11:40 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    "Her story will continue in the Wonderfam event Trial of the Amazons."

This lets me know that it has nothing to do with culture/representation and DC is just trying to get hype for their event. Why do they pause entire character arcs for events like this? Most of these new characters have new readers who aren't familiar with comics, they don't follow events. This is Kamala Khan and Secret Wars all over again.
    Ugh I hate when they do stuff like that
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    What bad press? Were there some articles in media written about Yara being offensive?
    Honestly, I'd argue it was something of the opposite. Yara Flor honestly kind of feels like she was in the same camp as Naomi where she was created as a "Proof of Concept" for multimedia adaptations, but comics are so poor at actually promoting new characters most of the buzz died down once her proposed show was canned.

For comparison look at how DC initially promoted the Milestone reboot only for, after their first month or so, most of that promotion evaporated.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member

With Williamson doing a "Death of the Justice League" story as the next phase of Infinite Frontier I assume we will get the Future State JL and Yara will be a part of that.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    With Williamson doing a "Death of the Justice League" story as the next phase of Infinite Frontier I assume we will get the Future State JL and Yara will be a part of that.
    I don' t get it. Are they still replaicing the jl? I thougth that idea was over. What is the current canon of dc then? And why do i have the feeling that the death of the jl will be yet again another terrible moment and treatment for WW?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Based on the interview it seems like there will be no new JL team for the foreseeable future but I would not be surprised if there will be a team similar to the JL under a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I don' t get it. Are they still replaicing the jl? I thougth that idea was over. What is the current canon of dc then? And why do i have the feeling that the death of the jl will be yet again another terrible moment and treatment for WW?
    Didn't you argue that Wonder Woman shouldn't be in the Justice League because you feel that she will always be dsisrespected there.

I don't agree with that (since there are really cool JL stories with her at the center) but isn't that something you wanted to happen?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Didn't you argue that Wonder Woman shouldn't be in the Justice League because you feel that she will always be dsisrespected there.

I don't agree with that (since there are really cool JL stories with her at the center) but isn't that something you wanted to happen?
    Sure. But how can you be sure the way she will go down is not you know, jobbing like it has happended before. She was dead and came back not long ago. Coming back just to die again, what's the point?. They should have just let her stay dead from the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Joelle Jones' Wonder Girl has been cancelled. I thought the book was beautifully drawn but was a mess storywise. Thoughts?
    Totally agree. I love the art, but ever since issue 3 (I think?) I've had little idea of what's going on. I thought at first it was just me not being super up on WW lore, but it's just the story-telling style, I think. It jumps all over the place. We don't even know Yara all the way yet, and she's already gone from "raised in Idaho and just visiting Brazil" to finding TWO loves of her life and being trained on Olympus while still having a shady backstory that hasn't been explained...

Oh yeah, and then half-hearted attempts at plot exposition dropped through Cassie, but still so confusing that it made me feel like I missed an issue or a tie-in or something...

It's really been a mess. But yeah, nice art.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't want to live in a comics world where this is canceled but Son of Kal-El just keeps chugging along despite sucking so monumentally bad. Yara is a good new character, which has been extremely rare in this era of DC.

But I guess I'm still looking at this in the "ridiculous", outdated model of writing comics for writing comics. Looking at it from the sad point of view that everything done now is just IP mining for other media, it makes more sense. Wonder Girl show not happening anymore? Screw the book. And I'm not saying the book was perfect or anything like that. Had lots of flaws. But the character has lots of potential.
    I haven't been up to date on Superman or his sons, but is this Jon or Chris Kent we are talking about?

I guess I would like to know if he got all the abilities as his dad. I mean, he is half human right, so it would go to show that he should be considerably less powerful than his dad? Also, not sure how Lois was able to survive child birth let alone taking a superkick in her stomach while pregnant. More plot induced stupidity. Also, how old is the son, did they age him really fast?

Sorry, I know I am asking Superman questions in a Wonder Woman forum.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Jon Kent.

He is suspected to be more powerful than Superman.

He's 18 or 19. Young adult.

Who knows how it works in the womb. All this "they cant have sex. Etc" not everything needs an explanation.

So Diana just returned from the dead only to be killed once more. Interesting. I wonder if they are retiring Diana for a while or if we'll get to see her elsewhere.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Jon Kent.

He is suspected to be more powerful than Superman.

He's 18 or 19. Young adult.

Who knows how it works in the womb. All this "they cant have sex. Etc" not everything needs an explanation.
    Half human/half kryptonian. Makes sense he is more powerful (not!)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Half human/half kryptonian. Makes sense he is more powerful (not!)
    Agreed. Its fairly boring and having him be weaker would be far more interesting.