Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I've read the book. They marketed this as a book about an Amazon from the Amazons and dealing with Brazilian mythology. Then they very quickly swerved into her being from the States and dealing more with the Greek Gods than Brazilian ones.

If you're writing about a culture that is not your own, there is a certain level of responsibility that comes with it. Otherwise stick with what you know.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I remember it was stated very early that she has lived all her life in states and is now travelling to Brazil to find her roots. I'm pretty sure that we knew this before first issue was released.

I've read the book. They marketed this as a book about an Amazon from the Amazons and dealing with Brazilian mythology. Then they very quickly swerved into her being from the States and dealing more with the Greek Gods than Brazilian ones.

If you're writing about a culture that is not your own, there is a certain level of responsibility that comes with it. Otherwise stick with what you know.
    DC's responsibility is to make quality entertainment and make money. It not there responsibility to represent someone's culture its there job to represent themselves, DC just has to be respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I remember it was stated very early that she has lived all her life in states and is now travelling to Brazil to find her roots. I'm pretty sure that we knew this before first issue was released.
    It was, that's exactly what happened. A lot of the criticism in here in is misplaced, well outside of finding it generic or boring that's just personal opinion.
    Last edited by 9th.; 01-15-2022 at 12:28 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    DC's responsibility is to make quality entertainment and make money. It not there responsibility to represent someone's culture its there job to represent themselves, DC just has to be respectful.
    Seems like they did neither.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-15-2022 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Oh Boo Hoo, it's a comic book. What the hell did they expect, a documentary? I guess they'd rather no one even made an attempt...
    If you actually read their criticisms, you'd see they said no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Something is always better than nothing. You have to crawl before you walk. You get some representation, you're dissatisfied with said representation, so then it becomes a teachable moment where we all can grow and learn something. Instead they got angry because white people dared to try to be inclusive and they wanted to throw it all away. Now they've got nothing to complain about and nobody wins.
    That's easy for you to say when it isn't your culture being misrepresented. And if you're looking for someone to blame for a lack of representation, blame the companies not the people criticizing them for screwing up.

"I 'shaid' what I said!"

*insert Nene gif here*

Extraordinary Member

Imagine not seeing yourself represented on screen or on the page and the one time you do, you're seeing somebody's idea of you and people from your culture sound like.
    You are aware that countries out side if the United States have their own pop culture and entertainment industry and not relay on US superhero comics for representation?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    You are aware that countries out side if the United States have their own pop culture and entertainment industry and not relay on US superhero comics for representation?
    Exactly lol and why is it the U.S responsibility to represent everyone else's culture and not there's?

Exactly lol and why is it the U.S responsibility to represent everyone else's culture and not there's?
    Internalized American Supremacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They don't have to. But they chose to make a book based on Brazilian culture and mythology and even tried to springboard a tv show out of it. The least they can do is not annoy anyone belonging to the culture they're portraying.

Also, FYI, I'm not even American.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Those tweets some posted earlier in this thread are literally from when the future state issues were coming out, that's definitely not the reason the book was cancelled. Yara Flor is still one the quicked breakout characters for DC recently, so I'm sure they'll find a place for her after the event.

I liked Yara but I felt her solo was moving too slow. So I moved it to the trade wait list. It's a bummer it got canceled. It would've worked better as an Earth One graphic novel. But that's a larger problem with Future State not just Yara. Outside of Jace, FS did a poor job introducing the new characters.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-15-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Doesn't surprise me...

You can't cite one, single thing in Yara's intro story, so far, that distinguishes her, from any other superhero, with a myth-inspired background. In spite of the comic establishing, fairly early on, how Yara's backstory fits in, with the mythos, it didn't show us anything, particularly game-changing or surprising. It was/is a painfully generic story, and the uniqueness of her race and culture, which didn't feature much in the story, simply isn't enough to keep us reading ..or interested.

Read the comments attached to online discussions, about Yara. You see people marveling over how nice it is to see a Wonder Gril, with a voluptuous figure - big bottom. They comment, favorably, on her skin color and the knowledge, that she is Brazilian. It just isn't enough to hold our attention.
    Don't agree with Mel on much of anything else but yeah, that pretty much sums up Yara's appearances at the moment for me.

Seems to be what people who don't read WW always complain about what Diana is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yara Flor is still one the quicked breakout characters for DC recently,
    Not really sure if you can really call her a break out character, IIRC the was big hype when the character was announced but it doesn't really seem that what they actually published lived up to that hype.

Yeah, Yara was a cash grab trying to revitalize a identity that has kind of wallowed in irrelevance for a while. Doesn't mean Yara can't also be a good character, I think she can be even if her story was kind of inconsistent, but Yara wasn't created to give indigenous people in South America a voice. To market it as such is a bit disingenuous. Money was the main motivation. So I can kind of understand where actual indigenous people could get upset at her creation. Like in America all of our culture and things are bastardized and resold to us where we don't even think about it anymore, but if you are from a culture in South America that is pretty insular and this big American company and foreign creators come in and take your culture and religion and then twist it into something it isn't to profit I can understand being upset at the whole thing. Obviously it wasn't the reason for her book being cancelled, but the whole situation is complicated. I still think introducing her in her 20s was a mistake. She should have been a proper teen, but I get she was originally created with a TV show in mind so her being older would work better for that.