Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, Yara was a cash grab trying to revitalize a identity that has kind of wallowed in irrelevance for a while. Doesn't mean Yara can't also be a good character, I think she can be even if her story was kind of inconsistent, but Yara wasn't created to give indigenous people in South America a voice. To market it as such is a bit disingenuous. Money was the main motivation. So I can kind of understand where actual indigenous people could get upset at her creation. Like in America all of our culture and things are bastardized and resold to us where we don't even think about it anymore, but if you are from a culture in South America that is pretty insular and this big American company and foreign creators come in and take your culture and religion and then twist it into something it isn't to profit I can understand being upset at the whole thing. Obviously it wasn't the reason for her book being cancelled, but the whole situation is complicated. I still think introducing her in her 20s was a mistake. She should have been a proper teen, but I get she was originally created with a TV show in mind so her being older would work better for that.
    You'd be right brazilian people were exactly mad and upset. But a few cry babies on Twitter (the home of cry babies) doesn't make it a problem. DC might as well not make any books then because there's always going to be people who's offended about any and everything, Especially on Twitter. But with yara dc is supposed to care?

Also these are super heroes comics not documentaries! If you are expecting cultural accuracy then that's a you problem.
    Last edited by WonderNight; 01-16-2022 at 04:50 AM.

It doesn't help that quoted twitter thread was written in 2021 January 6. You know, before Future State issues were even published. And from that some people somehow construct an entire narrative about how DC lied in their marketing and that Jones offended indigenous people with her writing.

Edit: Ok, first issue of Future State: Wonder Woman was published on January 5 so that person probably had read first appearance of Yara.
    Last edited by HsssH; 01-16-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    You'd be right brazilian people were exactly mad and upset. But a few cry babies on Twitter (the home of cry babies) do make it a problem. DC might as well not make any books then because there's away going to be people who's offended about any and everything, Especially on Twitter. But with yara dc is supposed to care?

Also these are super heroes comics not documentaries! If you are expecting cultural accuracy then that's a you problem.
    The so called cry baby was a Brazillian Indigenous woman not some comicsgate ******* complaining about politics in comics.

Unhappy

It should have been Jon Kent. It should have been Jon Kent. *sigh*

But seriously this sucks. Yara is by far the best new DC character literally in decades. She has so much potential. She represents a legacy but is also clearly her own thing. This is a real shame.

Oh, well, at least I have more money for Manga and Marvel Comics now. Other than a couple of Bat Books there will soon be nothing DC has to offer that I want to purchase monthly.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-16-2022 at 12:56 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    It doesn't help that quoted twitter thread was written in 2021 January 6. You know, before Future State issues were even published. And from that some people somehow construct an entire narrative about how DC lied in their marketing and that Jones offended indigenous people with her writing.

Edit: Ok, first issue of Future State: Wonder Woman was published on January 5 so that person probably had read first appearance of Yara.
    Wait....all that was from from the first issue of the FS series???
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I'm just surprised that they didn't go with the idea of a group of Amazon's being hidden in the rain forest and build off that with Yara finding out while on a trip that she's tied to that and learning things. Have Diana or Donna or Hell use a back story where Hippolyta meets with the Queen of the Brazilian Amazons and the two are Sister states. You could go from there building her own myths and having maybe Artemis or Nubia come to see Yara directly and test her. Or something like that. I mean...There's a lot you can do with this concept but it should have been set up in a way that allowed for more connections to Brazil and it's history.

I get where the twitter comments are coming from, but at the same time there are Brazilians that live outside of the country that don't know their mythology as deeply as others.

Based mostly on how DC has never really cared about nurturing/building up a CONSISTENT supporting cast for Wonder Woman (and based a little on how generic Yara is), I imagine that in six months nobody will remember this character. However, I wish that we had gotten a Wonder Girls book that chronicled the adventures of all of the gals [including Yara] who had had the WG name. It could even include some pages of a young Diana (who literally is the first "wonder girl")/
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 01-16-2022 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The so called cry baby was a Brazillian Indigenous woman not some comicsgate ******* complaining about politics in comics.
    and DC is supposed to care why? What was in the book that would have been so offensive that it needed to be canceled? Who in there right mind goes to DC comics for 100% cultural accuracy on anything. Hell what country is 100% accurate about there own culture in there mainstream entertainment?

Astonishing Member

It wasn't the reason of cancellation anyway. It might be one of reasons, but not the single one.
    I guess it's not a good sign that Jones did not address this whole thing yet?

It's not clear to me how successful Yara is, but I think if she's half as successful as they say we'll see her in her own title or another miniseries soon.
    I hope within the Wonderverse and not with Superman or any other hero. By this I mean that there is still a need to build ties with the Wonder Family and especially with Diana.
    Although I did not like her series at all, I think there is great potential and it can be something fresh and positive for the entire Wonder Woman Universe, I suppose that after the great event the characters will be rearranged and we will have something more cohesive as for everything related to Diana and her family.

Yep sounds more like people not even reading the book. Yara was born in Brazil but was raised in the states. Why would she at and sound like someone raised in Brazil?
    Good point. It's like saying that Kamala Khan should be acting like Dust from the X-Men (who wears a burka) just because she's Muslim. Kamala is actually American, her parents being immigrants from Pakistan - so of course Kamala acts like an American teenager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    But when does she even become WG? I know why they used the title but there's no breathing room for her to move into actually being WG right now.
    At least Cassie appears in the book. I assume the intent was for her to allow Yara to take (or at least share) the name.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

WHOOPS. Sorry! I honestly thought that thread was a week old, not a year old!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

If they bring wondergirl back after this wonderfam event...
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 01-16-2022 at 06:24 PM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I smell a relaunch post trial of Amazon's, otherwise it makes no sense to cancel right now.
    "Her story will continue in the Wonderfam event Trial of the Amazons."

This lets me know that it has nothing to do with culture/representation and DC is just trying to get hype for their event. Why do they pause entire character arcs for events like this? Most of these new characters have new readers who aren't familiar with comics, they don't follow events. This is Kamala Khan and Secret Wars all over again.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

and DC is supposed to care why?
    Because they can't afford this type of bad press, especially with their sale being what they are.

Who in there right mind goes to DC comics for 100% cultural accuracy on anything.
    When the writer herself is talking about how she did her research for this book and then fails to deliver, I think it's fair to hold her to account for it.

Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to someone else. Comic fans have thrown bitch fits are far, far more irrelevant crap than inaccurate depictions of real life cultures.

What bad press? Were there some articles in media written about Yara being offensive?