Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Jones implied back in December that the book would be 'ending' with issue 8 anyway and it would be continued in the Wonder Girl Trial

https://twitter.com/Joelle_Jones/sta...07128351870982

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Jones implied back in December that the book would be 'ending' with issue 8 anyway and it would be continued in the Wonder Girl Trial

https://twitter.com/Joelle_Jones/sta...07128351870982
    Which is just a short event. And then what we finally have the wonder family running around working together acknowledging each other and it’s all about to fall apart.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Whole thing is rather funny given how many acted like Yara was leaving Diana in the dust even though by the time Diana was back to the main Earth, Yara had like three issues in five months.
    Can’t explain it. Diana wasn’t clearing sales like Yara was.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Sometimes books aren't canceled due to sales. Sometimes it is because of the creative team. With Lady Killer picking up steam on Netflix, maybe Joelle decided to pursue a different route or discovered she didn't have the time to commit to WG like she had thought or any number of reasons that dont necessarily take sales into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Can’t explain it. Diana wasn’t clearing sales like Yara was.
    For her first issues she was. But going off the most recent data from Comichron WG #4 was ranked 76 to the main WW title from the same month’s 78.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Joelle Jones' Wonder Girl has been cancelled. I thought the book was beautifully drawn but was a mess storywise. Thoughts?
    I concur. A beautiful mess (but a mess nonetheless).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I hope they replace it with a new Wonder Girl title. WW-verse going backwards from all these books back down to 1 is not to my liking.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    For her first issues she was. But going off the most recent data from Comichron WG #4 was ranked 76 to the main WW title from the same month’s 78.
    Which is why I think all sign point to a cancel and relaunch - selling slightly higher while dealing with some ridiculous delays.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I hope they replace it with a new Wonder Girl title. WW-verse going backwards from all these books back down to 1 is not to my liking.
    If the other Wonderverse books don’t sell, then there’s not much DC can do. Yara had strong sales but the delays killed the book. Nubia hasn’t sold well at all from what I’ve seen. Personally I think they should make a “Wonderfamily” anthology book like Batman Urban Legends and put the WW side characters in that.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Sometimes books aren't canceled due to sales. Sometimes it is because of the creative team. With Lady Killer picking up steam on Netflix, maybe Joelle decided to pursue a different route or discovered she didn't have the time to commit to WG like she had thought or any number of reasons that dont necessarily take sales into account.
    This doesn't seem like a sales issue, it was clear that Joelle could not maintain the schedule of drawing and writing the book and DC may have decided to use the upcoming event to change directions.

Yara Flor is a hit and a powerful addition to the Wonder Woman brand. She won't be gone long.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is interesting point. Wasn't aware at all that one of her works has been picked up for an adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If the other Wonderverse books don’t sell, then there’s not much DC can do. Yara had strong sales but the delays killed the book. Nubia hasn’t sold well at all from what I’ve seen. Personally I think they should make a “Wonderfamily” anthology book like Batman Urban Legends and put the WW side characters in that.
    I doubt that it would sell. Urban Legends often features characters that had their own ongoings for years and someone like Red Hood would probably still have one if some creative team wanted to do it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Joelle Jones' Wonder Girl has been cancelled. I thought the book was beautifully drawn but was a mess storywise. Thoughts?

I totally agree. Yara's design and the art were both pretty good but the story was bland and pushed me away after 2 installments.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

https://twitter.com/RoliverQueen_/st...90509870096384
    Quote Originally Posted by Roliver Queen
    Looks like there’s more to the story about Wonder Girl being cancelled. Not surprised this went under people’s radar. I didn’t even find this thread until now…

I wonder this caused too much of a ruckus in editorial. BUT BUT like I said before POC folk were tellin y’all this
    https://twitter.com/alice_pataxo/sta...04160616198145
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Pataxo
    Since the WW Br was announced, many people were excited about the idea, and we indigenous women wondered about what would come, and once again we were not wrong. Stereotypes, sexualization of indigenous bodies, disrespect for our beliefs and cultures, "blend" our identities.

They use our desires for representation and protagonism in the form of entertainment and cash machines and in the end, we do not see ourselves, because they know nothing about our people (who were not part of this construction), as they always appropriate our culture.

Yara Flor not only brings the stereotype but also the discussion of who will play, women who are quoted by the stereotype but have never lived our lives, they don't know our villages, they don't know what real heroines are.

"mix" our gods with the culture of others and we are forced to silence ourselves?! They disrespect the caipora, you can't think you're right about our gods, our beliefs, Yara does that in the HQ.

They demonized the figure and essence of a guardian of the forest, that's not right, they didn't do the least. I'm disappointed in this bigotry, we're not pop culture, don't make us entertainment-friendly, we are for real, with even more amazing real stories.

as I said to @munihin_ who is this Yara Flor near the Indian Krinça

I want to see real indigenous women, women who know our pain, who understand our resistance, memory, our belief. This is no mess, no leader or hero will ever be greater than our beliefs.

Yara Flor is nothing but the white ego talking. @DCComics
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

By the way, I had heard before that the Brazilians took Yara much worse than is commonly believed, though I didn’t think that everything was so bad there.