Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I haven't followed the title, but I did see some reactions early on that the attempts of representation and diversity were rather poorly thought out, to put it diplomatically. So I'm not surprised by Alice Pataxó's reaction, especially since DC doesn't have a good track record of handling this stuff well.

But because DC doesn't have a good track record of handling diversity well, I doubt that was the reason for the title being cancelled—because DC just doesn't care. If the powers-that-be are to take notice there will be a much bigger stink needed. I wouldn't be surprised if the real reason for the cancellation was due to poor sales and delays (and remember that delays will not help sales). However, the poor sales will continue to be used by the DC powers-that-be to claim that representation doesn't sell.

But as Alice Pataxó points out, it was never representation or diversity in the first place, except possibly in the minds of the DC powers-that-be.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

This is American comics and we know they simply care more about getting books out the door on schedule than what one person in another country they are not even marketing to thinks. It is not like character is cancelled, but I don't expect anyone more concerned about furthering their opinion to stop and realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    This is American comics and we know they simply care more about getting books out the door on schedule than what one person in another country they are not even marketing to thinks. It is not like character is cancelled, but I don't expect anyone more concerned about furthering their opinion to stop and realize that.
    What exactly is your point?

...I feel like Joelle Jones consulted with people on writing Yara, but maybe it wasn't enough.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would think that with Adriana Melo having done part of the art chores on the book, maybe not all Brazilians feel the same way and she might have even had some input into the look of the book.

IMO, the whole thing was badly conceived from the beginning. No wonder the book flopped.

-Introducing a new Wonder Girl who is not even a girl but a fully grown woman who calls herself a girl.

-Said WG is only tangentially connected to WW and her mythos.

-Her look and costume were designed by a writer/artist who wasn't even from that culture which immediately created a disconnect with people who actually belong to that culture.

-DC can't even do right with the WG's they already have and yet we are expected to believe they suddenly figured it all out with a third one?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    IMO, the whole thing was badly conceived from the beginning. No wonder the book flopped.

-Introducing a new Wonder Girl who is not even a girl but a fully grown woman who calls herself a girl.

-Said WG is only tangentially connected to WW and her mythos.

-Her look and costume were designed by a writer/artist who wasn't even from that culture which immediately created a disconnect with people who actually belong to that culture.

-DC can't even do right with the WG's they already have and yet we are expected to believe they suddenly figured it all out with a third one?
    Is Joelle Jones an American white woman? I could swear that someone told me that Jones had some Brazilian ancestry. Did I imagine it? If she is indeed a white woman from the US, who the eff would think that she was the "perfect" artist/writer to write an indigenous Brazilian!"??

She is indeed a white American woman.

Talented and unproblematic from everything I've seen so far but was absolutely not the right fit for this book.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Is Joelle Jones an American white woman? I could swear that someone told me that Jones had some Brazilian ancestry. Did I imagine it? If she is indeed a white woman from the US, who the eff would think that she was the "perfect" artist/writer to write an indigenous Brazilian!"??
    Jones is an American white woman, and the answer to who thought it would be "perfect" is Didio.

From Polygon:
    Jones became interested in the mythologies of the Amazon basin after a trip to Brazil for a convention, São Paulo’s Comic Con Experience. CCXP boasted 280,000 attendees — more than twice that of San Diego Comic Con, North America’s biggest fan convention — in 2019. Those numbers have not been lost on Hollywood. Guests at CCXP 2019 included the casts of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Wonder Woman 1984, and Birds of Prey, as well as American comics luminaries like Frank Miller and Neal Adams. During their visit, former DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio suggested that it would be fun to see a woman from the actual Amazon as an Amazon. Jones agreed, and began researching.
    The current editorial should have done more, but they don't seem to have an interest in more accurate portrayals of cultures they do not belong to.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont think any backlash would cause the book to be canceled. And its probably more than the sales since half of them were fine. But there's nothing leading up to her actually taking on the WG title. Just that it's popular when they probably should've created something original for her.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    If she is indeed a white woman from the US, who the eff would think that she was the "perfect" artist/writer to write an indigenous Brazilian!"??
    Should white writers write only white characters?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    But there's nothing leading up to her actually taking on the WG title. Just that it's popular when they probably should've created something original for her.
    Disagree with this, calling her Wonder Girl was the right move, instant association with Diana makes it easier to market her book in a few words.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Should white writers write only white characters?
    of course. And only their gender as well. And only the writers from the region the character originates as well. And only if they eat the same things the characters they are writing eat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Jones is an American white woman, and the answer to who thought it would be "perfect" is Didio.

From Polygon:

The current editorial should have done more, but they don't seem to have an interest in more accurate portrayals of cultures they do not belong to.
    I guess her research didn't lend itself to quite the cultural accuracy it should have.

Y'all are acting like there is some type of uproar here because of this book, there is none. It's one person on Twitter complaining and you probably can find more, cause it's Twitter, but that's it.

I didn't even see a single article from here talking about her book being cancelled.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.