Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Y'all are acting like there is some type of uproar here because of this book, there is none. It's one person on Twitter complaining and you probably can find more, cause it's Twitter, but that's it.

I didn't even see a single article from here talking about her book being cancelled.
    because other than an article in Bleeding Cool that shows the tweet from the editor, there's been no news about it...so, just the editor tweeting it out basically.

Right some cry babies on Twitter complaining, that's new. I guess as a black man I can't enjoy most of dc's black characters because a black man didn't create them or is currently writing them.

Anyways this is most likely do to the delays. I believe some of the problems with the story is do to her origin needed to be in place in time for the event but the delays though everything off.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Right some cry babies on Twitter complaining, that's new. I guess as a black man I can't enjoy most of dc's black characters because a black man didn't create them or is currently writing them.

Anyways this is most likely do to the delays. I believe some of the problems with the story is do to her origin needed to be in place in time for the event but the delays though everything off.
    Exactly.

And most likely correct. Jones, while an excellent artist and a fairly decent writer, is just not a fast one. (Unfortunately neither is her co-artist Adriana Melo.)

It's not that writers shouldn't be allowed to write characters outside of their culture/gender/ethnicity but that somebody from that background would be the most qualified to paint an authentic image of the character's life.

Imagine not seeing yourself represented on screen or on the page and the one time you do, you're seeing somebody's idea of you and people from your culture sound like. There have been complaints about Yara not sounding like a native girl from the background she is supposed to be from. It sucks because that's how people are going to perceive your culture and people from that point on wards.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's not that writers shouldn't be allowed to write characters outside of their culture/gender/ethnicity but that somebody from that background would be the most qualified to paint an authentic image of the character's life.

Imagine not seeing yourself represented on screen or on the page and the one time you do, you're seeing somebody's idea of you and people from your culture sound like. There have been complaints about Yara not sounding like a native girl from the background she is supposed to be from. It sucks because that's how people are going to perceive your culture and people from that point on wards.
    But isn't part of Yara's backstory that she was raised in the States? She wouldn't necessarily sound or act like someone who has lived their entire life in Brazil necessarily.

Doesn't surprise me...

You can't cite one, single thing in Yara's intro story, so far, that distinguishes her, from any other superhero, with a myth-inspired background. In spite of the comic establishing, fairly early on, how Yara's backstory fits in, with the mythos, it didn't show us anything, particularly game-changing or surprising. It was/is a painfully generic story, and the uniqueness of her race and culture, which didn't feature much in the story, simply isn't enough to keep us reading ..or interested.

Read the comments attached to online discussions, about Yara. You see people marveling over how nice it is to see a Wonder Gril, with a voluptuous figure - big bottom. They comment, favorably, on her skin color and the knowledge, that she is Brazilian. It just isn't enough to hold our attention.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-14-2022 at 04:42 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    But isn't part of Yara's backstory that she was raised in the States? She wouldn't necessarily sound or act like someone who has lived their entire life in Brazil necessarily.
    Yep sounds more like people not even reading the book. Yara was born in Brazil but was raised in the states. Why would she at and sound like someone raised in Brazil?

Also this is super hero comics and entertainment not a biography or documentary about Brazilians people. People taking it Why to serous. But like the saying goes, if you want it done right than do it yourself. But dc doesn't owe you anything!!

I've read the book. They marketed this as a book about an Amazon from the Amazons and dealing with Brazilian mythology. Then they very quickly swerved into her being from the States and dealing more with the Greek Gods than Brazilian ones.

If you're writing about a culture that is not your own, there is a certain level of responsibility that comes with it. Otherwise stick with what you know.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Thats the point of Yaras book. She's an outsider who is reconnecting with her native culture. Starting her out with the Greek Gods isnt an issue imo as it is so early into her run but I also wouldnt be surprised if it was a mandate thing to tie her closer to WW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Disagree with this, calling her Wonder Girl was the right move, instant association with Diana makes it easier to market her book in a few words.
    But when does she even become WG? I know why they used the title but there's no breathing room for her to move into actually being WG right now.

For me the story is bad and uninteresting, obviously that is not what leads to the cancellation I guess, but the fact of the delays and that it probably did not arrive on time for the big event. They decided to cut and go directly to the Trial of the Amazons, I think there is not much more than that in all this.

Oh Boo Hoo, it's a comic book. What the hell did they expect, a documentary? I guess they'd rather no one even made an attempt...

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I've read the book. They marketed this as a book about an Amazon from the Amazons and dealing with Brazilian mythology. Then they very quickly swerved into her being from the States and dealing more with the Greek Gods than Brazilian ones.

If you're writing about a culture that is not your own, there is a certain level of responsibility that comes with it. Otherwise stick with what you know.
    Something is always better than nothing. You have to crawl before you walk. You get some representation, you're dissatisfied with said representation, so then it becomes a teachable moment where we all can grow and learn something. Instead they got angry because white people dared to try to be inclusive and they wanted to throw it all away. Now they've got nothing to complain about and nobody wins.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 01-14-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Something is always better than nothing. You have to crawl before you walk. You get some representation, you're dissatisfied with said representation, so then it becomes a teachable moment where we all can grow and learn something. Instead they got angry because white people dared to try to be inclusive and they wanted to throw it all away. Now they've got nothing to complain about and nobody wins.
    One thing I have noticed about this type is they would rather no one wins than anything. Gives them more satisfaction to say they had something "canceled" than to work towards actually educating and bettering anything.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Comic sales don’t matter, it’s all about workshopping characters for adaption. Besides it’s not like Diana’s sales are all that spectacular either, everyone outside the Batfamily typically sells in the 30k range.
    Everybody should remember that when trying to come for anybody's comic sales. DC barely puts any effort into characters not named batman. So why would anybody expect a hit with that attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Doesn't surprise me...

You can't cite one, single thing in Yara's intro story, so far, that distinguishes her, from any other superhero, with a myth-inspired background. In spite of the comic establishing, fairly early on, how Yara's backstory fits in, with the mythos, it didn't show us anything, particularly game-changing or surprising. It was/is a painfully generic story, and the uniqueness of her race and culture, which didn't feature much in the story, simply isn't enough to keep us reading ..or interested.

Read the comments attached to online discussions, about Yara. You see people marveling over how nice it is to see a Wonder Gril, with a voluptuous figure - big bottom. They comment, favorably, on her skin color and the knowledge, that she is Brazilian. It just isn't enough to hold our attention.
    Nailed it.
    I read the first two issues and I had zero interest in reading more.