Page 7 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

With ASM becoming monthly for this first time in years, gotta imagine we are about to get a lot of spinoff books right? There's no way Marvel decide to louse on their ASM money after doing 2-3 issues a month for years. I know we have the Ben Reily book coming, but I imagine we'll see specatcular spider-man relaunch and others.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    With ASM becoming monthly for this first time in years, gotta imagine we are about to get a lot of spinoff books right? There's no way Marvel decide to louse on their ASM money after doing 2-3 issues a month for years. I know we have the Ben Reily book coming, but I imagine we'll see specatcular spider-man relaunch and others.
    Can you tell me where they confirm it's monthly?

And I hope so, 3 Peter books instead of 3 ASM's a month is the dream.Ben/Miles, etc. are great but don't really fit the sales they would get from 3 ASM/Peter stuff so it does make sense.

And the diff. tones means we'll have smth for everyone

Astonishing Member

I think we may be getting some satellite books with Peter aside from Miles, Silk, Ben et all

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Can you tell me where they confirm it's monthly?
    I don't think there's a hard confirm, but in the press release they just said JRjr is doing it and they didn't say "also joined by..." so it might just be monthly again.

And I hope so, 3 Peter books instead of 3 ASM's a month is the dream.Ben/Miles, etc. are great but don't really fit the sales they would get from 3 ASM/Peter stuff so it does make sense.
    I can be off on this, but the satellite titles usually sell less, which might have prompted the whole BND thing and the biweekly runs ever since. At least as far back as JMS' run with Marvel Knights and Friendly Neighborhood I'm pretty sure it was the case - PAD even had to resort to gimmicks like "Ben Reilly" (only not) in the interests of keeping it afloat.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

To be honest I was expecting a lot of the disparate Beyond stuff to lead into spinoffs, but the only obvious ones I can think of other than Ben are Daughters of the Dragon and maybe an actual MJ/Black Cat series if the one-shot does well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I don't think there's a hard confirm, but in the press release they just said JRjr is doing it and they didn't say "also joined by..." so it might just be monthly again.

I can be off on this, but the satellite titles usually sell less, which might have prompted the whole BND thing and the biweekly runs ever since. At least as far back as JMS' run with Marvel Knights and Friendly Neighborhood I'm pretty sure it was the case - PAD even had to resort to gimmicks like "Ben Reilly" (only not) in the interests of keeping it afloat.
    Oh okay, I feel they might pull a Ottley that JrJr has been working on this for months(maybe why they did Beyond w/ the massive creative team) to do like 10 issues and then they'll cop out on it.Hopefully not though, and if so I hope it's someone good like the Devil's Reign artist, etc.

No ur def. right, Satellite titles do sell less than ASM but still well IIRC.And it's just make the quality better but Marvel does care about sales first so we'll have to see

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I was expecting a lot of the disparate Beyond stuff to lead into spinoffs, but the only obvious ones I can think of other than Ben are Daughters of the Dragon and maybe an actual MJ/Black Cat series if the one-shot does well.
    A MJ/Cat mini could work but they don't work as solo character beyond an arc or two IMO.All their best stuff is w/ Spidey for a reason

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

A MJ/Cat mini could work but they don't work as solo character beyond an arc or two IMO.All their best stuff is w/ Spidey for a reason
    Kind of why it would be a mini. 1 or 2 arcs in general. which is the point of a mini so dont get your reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Kind of why it would be a mini. 1 or 2 arcs in general. which is the point of a mini so dont get your reasoning
    cant they do what they are doing for shang chi and silk a just of minis which could read as an ongoing?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I wouldnt mind a monthly spiderman run if the art is consistent no rotating artist. But if not I would like to stick with the bi weekly scheduled
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I enjoyed their solo books, especially Felicia, so I have to hard disagree with that.

I think they should be closely connected to Spidey but you can tell stories with them independently.

Extraordinary Member

I enjoyed their solo books, especially Felicia, so I have to hard disagree with that.

I think they should be closely connected to Spidey but you can tell stories with them independently.
    Both their solo's mean they will be taken away from ASM/Peter.CAn't have both at the same time w/ the current structure they use.

MJ left ASM w/ her solo same as Cat and comparing their solo stuff versus what we got when they were in ASM ASM is clearly better.

Taking the stronger solo case Black Cat her interaction in hunted and even her minor role in King's Ransom were fantastic as compared to a lot of what her solo gave.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    That's the beauty of press releases, you just have to hype your book with whatever you have in your head and hope it sticks. Joke I did with some friends way back in the day was that if Marvel announced Millar was taking over a monthly - any monthly, as it happens - while he was hot off Civil War, they could just say "Master storyteller Mark Millar (TROUBLE) is about to take you on a ride you're never going to forget!" and get away with it.
    Well, this article has this gem:

"His “Shed” storyline is considered one of the best Spider-Man stories of all time, his bold work on NEW WARRIORS laid the groundwork for CIVIL WAR"

Because Shed and Civil War are things to be proud of? Knowing these stories makes it sound like the article is being sarcastic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    He got married in 2010.
    The few issues he wrote in Beyond where MJ shows up are seriously unimpressive, to the point she's the only one dumb enough to not be able to tell Ben isn't Peter when he calls her, and he made MJ just stare at the window when Peter left, something he said he didn't like that MJ supposedly did a lot in the marriage when she actually didn't.

Being married has little relevance if he still doesn't like MJ, but who knows? I legit expected Spencer's run to be pure garbage after that Secret Empire nonsense he made, and while I didn't like the first issue, his ASM run was fun enough, even if it got annoying whenever Kindred took over the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about the MJ becoming Spider-Woman tease, that feels even weirder with Wells coming on board. Gotta be a fake out of some kind right?
    I mean...

Wouldn't be the first time they do a fake-out like that lol.

"Peter’s on the outs with the FF. He’s on the outs with the Avengers. He’s even on the outs with Aunt May! After a terrible and mysterious incident, no one wants to see Spider-Man – except for Doctor Octopus. Ock’s on Spider-Man’s tail and the Master Planner has something truly terrible planned for when he gets his tentacles on Spidey. All that, and Tombstone makes a move that will remind readers why he’s one of Spider-Man’s most terrifying villains… "

Urgh, this is just a repeat of how Spencer's run started... And it ultimately contributed little to the plot besides an annoying running gag with the other heroes.

Also, being on the outs with F4? Really? Spidey barely interacts with them as is, even if he's pretty close to them... And being on the outs with aunt May too... This is giving me a Cates' Hulk vibes where suddenly this thing happened off-screen to establish a weird status quo.

I'll be fair and give it a chance, 'cause if I gave a chance to fucking Spencer then it means I'll give a chance to anyone if my mood is good enough, but this definitely ain't bringing any sort of hype from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Both their solo's mean they will be taken away from ASM/Peter.CAn't have both at the same time w/ the current structure they use.

MJ left ASM w/ her solo same as Cat and comparing their solo stuff versus what we got when they were in ASM ASM is clearly better.

Taking the stronger solo case Black Cat her interaction in hunted and even her minor role in King's Ransom were fantastic as compared to a lot of what her solo gave.
    I don't think a solo would absolutely have to separate them, it would depend on the context, but I think Felicia definitely got more paneltime, character focus, and development than she would have as just a supporting character that occasionally appears in ASM.

I think we definitely got to dive deeper into Felicia's character and world in her solo than we did in some of her ASM appearances, which I also enjoyed, but it's different.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think a solo would absolutely have to separate them, it would depend on the context, but I think Felicia definitely got more paneltime, character focus, and development than she would have as just a supporting character that occasionally appears in ASM.

I think we definitely got to dive deeper into Felicia's character and world in her solo than we did in some of her ASM appearances, which I also enjoyed, but it's different.
    I think a solo that features Peter would be the best of both worlds.Specially w/ MJ

So both can still appear in ASM and they don't have to bend the plot to explain why MJ isn't their and why Cat isn't helping where she could be, etc.