Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aragorn vs Conan the Barbarian

Standard arena match with non-magical swords.

1) Book versions for both.

2) Composite versions for both: book, film and comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So, going to note that Aragorn has armor.
    My apologies for not being specific enough.

When I said "with non-magical swords," I meant that and normal clothing for their milieu, no other weapons and such.

We want to know who's the better swordsman, essentially.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 01-13-2022 at 11:09 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So, going to note that Aragorn has armor. Not sure how much armor Conan has in the book (i'm pretty sure there are some versions of him with armor, somewhere).

1. Book Aragorn is a guy who fights his way across a battlefield at the head of an army, stops for a chat, then fights his way back across the battlefield, again from the front of the army, always in the thick of it. He doesn't take a single wound, and has enough gas left in his tank at the end of the day (yes, this is a battle that takes hours and hours) to go running around doing errands, back and forth from the city to the camp, in the night. He splits iron helms in half (possibly partly due to his sword, mind). He's 90 years old and has spent the bulk of that time running around DOING stuff like being a ranger, murdering orcs, training with Noldor, etc (so loads of skill and experience). Thaaaaat's about all we have on him with regards to his fighting ability.

Don't know how that stands up to book Conan.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I've heard that Conan is a blatant superhuman with crazy skills, but I'm not a big Conan fan. Never read the books, just the movies and cartoons which I'm pretty sure is totally different from book Conan.

I just typed a whole long dissection of Book Conan and the bloody forum ate it. Arrrrgh.

Suffice it to say, Aragorn for book fight, but going to hurt like hell afterwards, Composite Conan wins, too many bananas feats from the comics.

If people want i will retype my answer with feats.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    I just typed a whole long dissection of Book Conan and the bloody forum ate it. Arrrrgh.

Suffice it to say, Aragorn for book fight, but going to hurt like hell afterwards, Composite Conan wins, too many bananas feats from the comics.

I know the feeling.

If it’s not too much trouble I’d really like to read those feats. Maybe break it up into smaller parts.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I know the feeling.

If it’s not too much trouble I’d really like to read those feats. Maybe break it up into smaller parts.
    I'll do it after work tomorrow, just for completeness.

Incredible Member

I'll do it after work tomorrow, just for completeness.
    Awesome! Thank you very much.

That has happened to me soooo many times.

Yes, I also think Aragorn beats Conan as specifically written by Robert E. Howard (who wore armor when he could get it, especially when he was wealthy). But, yes, once you start bringing in multiple writers and comic books, Conan gets more and more exaggerated.
    Power with Girl is better.

Aragon doesn't even want to show up to fight composite Conan.

Again??? Again....AGAAAAAAAINN!!!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Again??? Again....AGAAAAAAAINN!!!
    Duuuuude - when you are writing a long post, write it in Evernote or Google Docs or something: autosave and sync will save you much hair.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Or write it, highlight it, cntrl-c, then post.

Failure = still in the clipboard.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Ok, third try, thanks all for your advice on saving post before posting. I appreciate it.

So Book Conan, born on a battlefield, fought his first war at 15 in the Cimmerrian sacking of the Aquilonian city of Venarium, thief at 18, mercenary, pirate and adventurer for the next 20+ years, becomes King of Aquilonia by the strength of his arm and quickness of his wits, rules for 20 years, facing rebellion and war and abdicates at 60 plus to travel the Western Ocean for one last adventure.

I looked up bunch of feats yesterday collected by a redditor named u/conancimmerian and gonna focus on those feats since they are sourced with citations if anyone wants them. This will be a briefer essay than the ones i lost to the forum yesterday and thursday.

So lets start with Book Conan's strength.

Still strong enough to kill men with single punches to the head after years of softer living as a king. Earlier in his life, he lifts a chunk of rock his height and width and tosses it three feet, uproots a small tree, cuts thru chainmail armour and steel helms with a mundane blade, kills a hyena by ripping out its throat and kills another by crushing its skull with his sword pommel, snaps iron chains and bars with his hands, and broke the neck of an ox.

His best strength feat is lifting a 40 foot ur-anaconda entirely off the ground. Since 30 foot anacondas weigh in the region of 500 pounds, thats a world class feat imo.

There are fewer good speed feats, he is described as being faster than a jungle cat, moves faster than the POV character can see on multiple occasions, and dodges an arrow after it has been fired at him.

in terms of combat skill, Conan is rivalled by but never defeated by a single opponent. He defeats the greatest swordsman by presentation on Hyboria, as well as other named and capable swordsmen. He fights and defeats multiple warriors at time, though often with help, but his best feat is a battle where it takes 100 soldiers to take him down. He has a wall behind him and fights for his life, and is thigh deep in enemy dead before he falls. He survives and is captured.

In terms of durability, he takes hits from demons and giants capable of killing men with single strikes and keeps on trucking, falls a 100 feet off a cliff face, and survives a crucifixion. He also suffers the death strikes of a Mythos shadow creature and lives.

He's killed demon spawn, ape men, giant spiders and snakes, wizards, fought mythos creatures, and men by the score.

He's also a genius with languages, a skilled swimmer and climber and has a will capable of resisting mystic hypnosis and the mind control spells of the wizards of the age.

So all this makes him the greatest hero of the Hyborian Age. I still put him below Aragorn, who has some great feats as mentioned by Sharp and others. But it's close. 6/10 or 7/10 to Aragorn i guess. But Strider will feel it in the morning even if he wins. Fitting since both are heirs of the Atlantean refugees of their world.

Comic Conan and composite Conan is an entirely different kettle of fish. Strong enough to wrestle a rhino, fights for days without sleep, takes hits from dragons breath, and sasses Victor Von Doom at his own dinner table. I dont think Composite Aragorn has enough gun.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Duuuuude - when you are writing a long post, write it in Evernote or Google Docs or something: autosave and sync will save you much hair.
    After something like that happens to me, I tend to do it on Word for a while (save often). But the, time goes by and I scrooge up again.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Ok, third try, thanks all for your advice on saving post before posting. I appreciate it.

So Book Conan, born on a battlefield, fought his first war at 15 in the Cimmerrian sacking of the Aquilonian city of Venarium, thief at 18, mercenary, pirate and adventurer for the next 20+ years, becomes King of Aquilonia by the strength of his arm and quickness of his wits, rules for 20 years, facing rebellion and war and abdicates at 60 plus to travel the Western Ocean for one last adventure.

I looked up bunch of feats yesterday collected by a redditor named u/conancimmerian and gonna focus on those feats since they are sourced with citations if anyone wants them. This will be a briefer essay than the ones i lost to the forum yesterday and thursday.

So lets start with Book Conan's strength.

Still strong enough to kill men with single punches to the head after years of softer living as a king. Earlier in his life, he lifts a chunk of rock his height and width and tosses it three feet, uproots a small tree, cuts thru chainmail armour and steel helms with a mundane blade, kills a hyena by ripping out its throat and kills another by crushing its skull with his sword pommel, snaps iron chains and bars with his hands, and broke the neck of an ox.

His best strength feat is lifting a 40 foot ur-anaconda entirely off the ground. Since 30 foot anacondas weigh in the region of 500 pounds, thats a world class feat imo.

There are fewer good speed feats, he is described as being faster than a jungle cat, moves faster than the POV character can see on multiple occasions, and dodges an arrow after it has been fired at him.

in terms of combat skill, Conan is rivalled by but never defeated by a single opponent. He defeats the greatest swordsman by presentation on Hyboria, as well as other named and capable swordsmen. He fights and defeats multiple warriors at time, though often with help, but his best feat is a battle where it takes 100 soldiers to take him down. He has a wall behind him and fights for his life, and is thigh deep in enemy dead before he falls. He survives and is captured.

In terms of durability, he takes hits from demons and giants capable of killing men with single strikes and keeps on trucking, falls a 100 feet off a cliff face, and survives a crucifixion. He also suffers the death strikes of a Mythos shadow creature and lives.

He's killed demon spawn, ape men, giant spiders and snakes, wizards, fought mythos creatures, and men by the score.

He's also a genius with languages, a skilled swimmer and climber and has a will capable of resisting mystic hypnosis and the mind control spells of the wizards of the age.
    Awesome! Thanks very much.

So all this makes him the greatest hero of the Hyborian Age. I still put him below Aragorn, who has some great feats as mentioned by Sharp and others. But it's close. 6/10 or 7/10 to Aragorn i guess. But Strider will feel it in the morning even if he wins. Fitting since both are heirs of the Atlantean refugees of their world.

Comic Conan and composite Conan is an entirely different kettle of fish. Strong enough to wrestle a rhino, fights for days without sleep, takes hits from dragons breath, and sasses Victor Von Doom at his own dinner table. I don't think Composite Aragorn has enough gun.
    Sounds right to me.

Oh, if this is a composite Marvel comics Conan has fought Captain America and Thor in "What-if?" comics. He got the better of Cap (stabbed him in the shoulder) and held his own against a weakened (but still very strong) Thor. Just thought I'd mention those.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 01-15-2022 at 05:14 PM.