Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Yeah, I'm reminded of a DeFalco arc in the 90s where Electro beat him, and just because his ego was bruised a little he pretty much threatened to flatten a Hand ninja with a subway train or something.
    It was a regular train but yeah. I think it was early Joe Bennet too

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    At least Ben isn't as embarrassing as Peter was during his "I am the Spider" era.
    Curious that things like that prompted Marvel to try and replace Peter with Ben

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Even though Lowe wanted this. it's more curious as this is a more of a character assassination than anything towards Ben

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Yeah, I'm reminded of a DeFalco arc in the 90s where Electro beat him, and just because his ego was bruised a little he pretty much threatened to flatten a Hand ninja with a subway train or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    It was a regular train but yeah. I think it was early Joe Bennet too
    Ha, yeah. I remember that one, too. Was it the one where he was ranting about how sick he was of having to restrain himself all the time because he was "one of the good guys" while threatening that unlucky Hand ninja with a train car over his head?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Even though Lowe wanted this. it's more curious as this is a more of a character assassination than anything towards Ben
    How is Ben being rightfully pissed off a “character assassination”? We haven’t even seen how the issue plays out. As mentioned, his anger seems pretty in-character with past acts of aggression by the Parker Bros. Now if Ben suddenly acts like he did in the PAD series, than I’ll agree… but I don’t think that’ll happen. I think this is just the part of the story where he turns on Beyond.

Ben can’t win. When he believes in Beyond, he’s gullible and stupid. When he turns on them, he’s unhinged and BenPool. *shrug*

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    How is Ben being rightfully pissed off a “character assassination”? We haven’t even seen how the issue plays out. As mentioned, his anger seems pretty in-character with past acts of aggression by the Parker Bros. Now if Ben suddenly acts like he did in the PAD series, than I’ll agree… but I don’t think that’ll happen. I think this is just the part of the story where he turns on Beyond.

Ben can’t win. When he believes in Beyond, he’s gullible and stupid. When he turns on them, he’s unhinged and BenPool. *shrug*
    Funny enough, the bolded was Beyond's exact assessment of Ben, as it turned out.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

this is turning out all kinds of badly. Uh... good times ahead? (sees Amazing #1 reboot)... Uh, you know what, never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I don’t see it like that. When Peter AND Ben are messed with, they both lose it a bit (for Peter, not just the “I AM THE SPIDER” stuff from the 90s, but also ‘Back in Black’, ‘Grim Hunt’, ‘Death of Jean DeWolff’, etc.).
    Even Master Planner trilogy is part of this, even if that one was relatively tame compared to later ones.

But yeah, Spidey going on such rampages is definitely something in-character for him to do, and Ben definitely has enough of in common with Peter to do that after finding out Beyond was manipulating him, and while he was a moron for believing so much into Beyond to begin with, if he's being this aggressive because he manipulated, it is understandable, and in-character.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Finally. Some movement on the plot here. I am, weary of the developments with Ben in this issue. But intrigued enough to see how it plays out. Damn do I wish Wells wrote more of this run. I enjoyed this. It could suck ass for Ben as a character if it plays out like he can't come back from this. But I'm hoping he fights his way back through the events of this issue. Time will tell.

My only misgiving is that they might use the events at the end to slow roll any action being taken on the revelations. Also Ben learned some things in this issue and just breaks down and is useless instead of taking any kind of decisive or heroic action and as a fan of the character that's a bummer. And the way he is detained is just another example of him being an idiot. But at least Kafka was also an idiot.

spoilers:
    Ben goes to therapy. Ben says that the drive had his profile on it and that it said that he was an easily manipulated person with a malleable sense of morality desperate for any kind of meaning in his life. Ben says that he feels like they understood him perfectly and is understandably upset about that. Kafka points out gaps in his memory that surprise him. She reveals that allegedly at his request Beyond scrubbed his mind of basically all the shitty stories that have been told about him since he came back. "Your more problematic adventures" was the phrase, so it could even include other stories. She reveals that she's been trying to stitch his mind back together using the glowy ring thing. Ben says that the drive contained information about Beyond's covers and the other **** that they are into and that everyone is in danger and implies that Beyond hired the U-Foes like we all suspected.

Maxine has been monitoring the situation because everyone is dumb and trusted her to not just have cameras, microphones and apparently tranquilizer guns and ultrasonic weapons in the ceiling of the private therapy office. She even mocks them for being so stupid before she uses some sort of Sonic weapon that takes Ben out and tranquilizer guns him. Kafka is super upset. Maxine sends Ben to have his memory reset but when the Beyond goons start messing with his mind it triggers a total memory collapse something Kafka previously warned about.

Meanwhile Maxine acts like a giant bitch to Janine and we get clarification that Ben handed her the secret Beyond drive and told her that Beyond was lying to them. She reads the information on the drive and tricks Marcus into getting her out of the Beyond headquarters at knife point. They are successful because Maxine is too busy mind wiping Ben.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by MisterC; 01-19-2022 at 01:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

ASM#86

spoilers:

Good issue. Happy to see Janine didn't betray Ben afterall. Wells again proves he's the best Beyond writer (honestly no comparison). Maxine is quickly becoming someone who needs to die. I don't like Marcus much either while we're at it. Another Seward Trainer esque character who pretends to be Ben's friend just to manipulate him. Good interactions between Kafka and Ben (including Kafka bringing up the fact that yes, she was created by Ben). It was also fun seeing Ben go beast-mode on that super villain in the beginning. Like in all of Beyond, Ben is a bit gullible spilling his guts to Kafka and just taking her word for it that they're not being monitored. I am also weary about what state this mind tinkering will leave Ben in... we know we have to wait a bit as next issue seems to be Peter-centered. But all in all, one of the best issues since the first two of this arc.
    end of spoilers

Ben Reilly #1
    spoilers:

I liked it. It has great art, excellent dialogue, an engaging mystery. Best of all, we saw the return of the 'Daily Grind' and Shirley!!! No Buzz, Desiree or Jessica unfortunately. There were some things I wasn't thrilled about. Ben has an edge, yes, but here he seems a bit TOO edgy. I know JM DeMatteis usually portrays Peter and Ben best when they're in psychological torment, but I thought he went a bit overboard with how angry Ben seems in this issue. Could be chalked up to absorbing Carrion's bad energy, I guess. The other minor thing, is it doesn't quite fit well in continuity. Peter and MJ are still in Portland (we even get a baby reference!), but this mini takes place after Kaine and Janine go to jail in 'Spider-Man: Revelations.' That's hard to square as Peter's return to New York coincides with the ending of 'Return of Kaine', which takes place at an earlier point with the character. And 'Redemption' also makes reference to Peter and MJ being back in New York. Not a big deal, just a nerdy nitpick. Also... when did Peter reveal his identity to Kafka in the 90s? I must've forgotten that issue. Anyway, nice write-ups in the letters columns too. Wow, the artist David Baldeon is a total Ben-head. Read what he says in the back of the issue. You can't fake that kind of love for a character.
    end of spoilers

So anyway... both good (if not perfect) issues. Both recommended.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

No spoilers, but I really liked this issue, moves the plot along as well

Good issue plot is moving.
    spoilers:
    kafka is kinda dumb she just admit she doesn’t trust beyond yet decides to let Ben tell the whole truth in her room. Well I’m guessing this leads to her being goblin queen somehow. As for Jeanie she might try to go to Peter and MJ so we will have two redheads in a future issue together
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Read it and it's a lot better than I thought

spoilers:
    Still some dumb though, Kafka actually believing Beyond let her keep her privacy while just saying she doesn't trust him is way too dumb for anyone much less Kafka.Also that there isn't more security to let Janine escape but more of a nitpick.

I don't like the sound of Ben's memory collapse but we'll see
    end of spoilers

Next week is going to be a massive one though, can't wait

Decent issue. I liked it. I'm concerned about Ben. Since his return (and his madness), I'm in constant fear that Marvel is going to mess him up again. I do hope I'm wrong, though. Beyond is what it is, but this issue was worth reading. Can't wait for more, shame another chapter is probably another Peter-centered filler, but oh well...

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

spoilers:
    It seems like Maxine used the same frequency that hurts clones that Ben used himself as the Jackal in Clone Conspiracy.
    end of spoilers