Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    spoilers:
    Only because Beyond f***ed with his memories.
    end of spoilers
    On one hand, Kafka says the memory wipe was done to make Ben forget his nasty past, but on the other hand, he quite clearly lost other memories.

It's something that even if it's a legit plot hole, the story itself covers it well enough, about the oddest thing is Kafka saying nothing about that.

Anyways, it was weird how Ben casually told Kafka that Peter is Spidey and mentioned MJ, I didn't see all scenes with Peter interacting with Kafka but, I never got the impression he revealed his identity to her, and Ben's doing it like Peter told him these details.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    On one hand, Kafka says the memory wipe was done to make Ben forget his nasty past, but on the other hand, he quite clearly lost other memories.

It's something that even if it's a legit plot hole, the story itself covers it well enough, about the oddest thing is Kafka saying nothing about that.

Anyways, it was weird how Ben casually told Kafka that Peter is Spidey and mentioned MJ, I didn't see all scenes with Peter interacting with Kafka but, I never got the impression he revealed his identity to her, and Ben's doing it like Peter told him these details.
    I guess we have to assume it was done off-panel. It’s not ideal, but it doesn’t conflict with any of the established continuity at the time to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not 100% on Clone Saga chronology but I immediately assumed this was taking place post-Redemption due to the prison references. I'm assuming this story was intended to be placed near the end of Ben's period as Spidey to fill in the gaps and that means it's more likely Peter and MJ's location being the error (but one that explains why they're not in the story).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    I'm not 100% on Clone Saga chronology but I immediately assumed this was taking place post-Redemption due to the prison references. I'm assuming this story was intended to be placed near the end of Ben's period as Spidey to fill in the gaps and that means it's more likely Peter and MJ's location being the error (but one that explains why they're not in the story).
    Ben had already been introduced to JJJ as “Peter’s cousin” by then and Scorpion had his upgraded costume. No, for a few reasons it fits better while Peter and MJ are in Portland. The ‘Redemption’ line is brief and can be substituted with something else like “gone” or “dead” without affecting the story.

Extraordinary Member

This was fantastic

He's still got it

I loved it. The OG suit, the Daily Grind, the writing of JM DeMatteis... Gimme moar.

Mighty Member

Apparently also mentioned that Pete and mn’s baby was still a thing

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I guess we have to assume it was done off-panel. It’s not ideal, but it doesn’t conflict with any of the established continuity at the time to the best of my knowledge.
    I don't think it messes with continuity, but it contradicts Peter's character, who as far as I know, didn't willingly reveal his identity to anyone before JMS' run besides Felicia and, weirdly enough, the burglar (It was a weird heat of the moment situation because he was pissed, but was still really weird, though one line has Peter talking like he's gonna stop being Spider-Man), so him revealing his identity to Kafka, who he didn't know for that long, was weird, though it makes more sense than him revealing it to the fucking burglar at least lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Apparently also mentioned that Pete and mn’s baby was still a thing
    Wonder how many fans will think that's a hint at the baby returning lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I don't think it messes with continuity, but it contradicts Peter's character, who as far as I know, didn't willingly reveal his identity to anyone before JMS' run besides Felicia and, weirdly enough, the burglar (It was a weird heat of the moment situation because he was pissed, but was still really weird, though one line has Peter talking like he's gonna stop being Spider-Man), so him revealing his identity to Kafka, who he didn't know for that long, was weird, though it makes more sense than him revealing it to the fucking burglar at least lol.
    He revealed it to Timmy (?) the dying kid. He tried to reveal it to Johnny Storm who stopped him. He revealed it to his robot parents. And there's probably a few others I can't recall. Peter actually swung into Kafka's office without his mask when he was having a breakdown during 'The Child Within' and she respected him enough not to look at his face. So there is precedent for this and Kafka is pretty trustworthy.

Wonder how many fans will think that's a hint at the baby returning lol.
    Hah!

He revealed it to Timmy (?) the dying kid. He tried to reveal it to Johnny Storm who stopped him. He revealed it to his robot parents. And there's probably a few others I can't recall.
    Ah yeah, had forgotten about Timmy, I also know jack **** of the robot parents arc, but it's pretty weird Peter would reveal it to them before he revealed it to aunt May, but then again, Peter himself thinks she's frail despite the ridiculously high amount of times she didn't have a heart attack when she was in stressful situation, including one time Scorpion tried to attack her.

When did Spidey try to reveal his identity to Johnny? I know he did reveal it for good in Spidey/Human Torch mini before OMD happened, but didn't know he tried to reveal it to Johnny before.

Annoyingly enough, I've been trying to find out when Spidey reveals his identity to F4 before OMD, and Spidey/Human Torch#4 has Spidey mentioning he revealed it to Reed before he did to Johnny, and Luke Cage too apparently, but I'm finding no evidence of this and other issues I've read published before this seem like they have F4 still not knowing, that's making me think he revealed his identity to 'em off-screen, which's pretty fucking annoying if so lol.

Peter actually swung into Kafka's office without his mask when he was having a breakdown during 'The Child Within' and she respected him enough not to look at his face. So there is precedent for this and Kafka is pretty trustworthy.
    He was also drugged and may not even have been aware he was unmasked, though him managing to go to her office at all can establish that he trusts her that much (Or maybe he just happened to swing by there while drugged)

If the intention of the scene is to imply Spidey trusts her that much, then it's weird considering Child Within is what introduced Kafka to begin with, and while Spidey talks to her like they know each other, the reader doesn't and the relationship seems to be little more than professional lol.

Hah!
    Hey, marriage fans can be pretty naíve with how often they fall for the most blatant baits, wouldn't be surprised if a throwaway line like that causes a similar reaction lol.

Astonishing Member

Peter tried to reveal his ID to Johnny in the 1995 Spidey Christmas one-shot. They met at the Statue of Liberty and Peter tried to take off his mask and Johnny stopped him joking with him that he didn't want to see his ugly mug or something.

Peter tried to reveal his ID to Johnny in the 1995 Spidey Christmas one-shot. They met at the Statue of Liberty and Peter tried to take off his mask and Johnny stopped him joking with him that he didn't want to see his ugly mug or something.
    Thanks.

Just checked it out and man, it's a contrast with Spidey/Human Torch#5, where Johnny is annoyed at Spidey not telling him he's Peter, when this story has Johnny not caring about learning of his secret identity... And Spidey sounded weirdly callous at Johnny's reaction in Spidey/Human Torch#5 about Johnny's annoyance too.