Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Astonishing Member

As predicted, Ben's unhinged

Ooh, this looks good!
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    As predicted, Ben's unhinged
    Well this was for the other preview

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Yeah, this is classic DeMatteis. Even the flow of the narration boxes to the struggling villain's speech is the exact same we'd seen back 20 years ago.

Not a bad thing by any means, but I hope JDM has the chance to use more of his lighter side on Ben - even if it's the all out slapstick stuff like Legion of Losers. Clone Saga was so heavy we always got JDM in his existential dread vibe, but I'd like to see him go silly with Ben too. Probably not going to happen with this mini though (all the more reason to hope it gets more than one).
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody understands Ben like JMD. So stoked to see what he has in store for Benjy in this "forgotten" tale. I'm glad that he's continuing to run with the idea that Ben sees being Spidey as a joy and a privilege rather than a burden, like Pete sometimes does. That's one very interesting difference, and it makes sense that Ben would gain a sense of purpose even more than Peter when he slips on the Spidey mask, due to his origin.

Art looks great too.

I wonder how big a role Carrion will play: is he just the "intro villain" to get the story started, or will he be an important part of the miniseries? I'm intrigued because Carrion, the character and the virus, are both connected to the Jackal, but I don't think Ben ever tangled with Carrion back in the 90s.

-Pav, who hopes that this miniseries pleases the majority of Ben Reilly fans...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'll get the trade of this.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

For better or worse, that’s vintage 90s JMD narration (even with a second deeper voice in parentheses). I love JMD and pumped to see him back, but even back during his SPEC and ASM runs I thought he could occasionally use that inner monologue voice too much. Good attention to continuity for remembering Malcolm McBride was Carrion back then. This looks good as expected, even though I’m not really a Carrion fan. I do hope it isn’t dark the whole way through though. Like the other poster said, I want some light moments with the Daily Grind crew.

Good art too. Never seen this artist before AFAIK.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Good art too. Never seen this artist before AFAIK.
    IIRC, David Baldeon handled some spots in Kaine's ongoing himself, the battle with Kraven and the like when the comic went crazy with its artists after Stegman wasn't the lead penciller anymore. I do remember he said in his profile he could 'lay claim' to both Scarlet Spiders since he did both Kaine and Ben.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Yeah, this is classic DeMatteis. Even the flow of the narration boxes to the struggling villain's speech is the exact same we'd seen back 20 years ago.

Not a bad thing by any means, but I hope JDM has the chance to use more of his lighter side on Ben - even if it's the all out slapstick stuff like Legion of Losers. Clone Saga was so heavy we always got JDM in his existential dread vibe, but I'd like to see him go silly with Ben too. Probably not going to happen with this mini though (all the more reason to hope it gets more than one).
    yes to this

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody understands Ben like JMD. So stoked to see what he has in store for Benjy in this "forgotten" tale. I'm glad that he's continuing to run with the idea that Ben sees being Spidey as a joy and a privilege rather than a burden, like Pete sometimes does. That's one very interesting difference, and it makes sense that Ben would gain a sense of purpose even more than Peter when he slips on the Spidey mask, due to his origin.

Art looks great too.

I wonder how big a role Carrion will play: is he just the "intro villain" to get the story started, or will he be an important part of the miniseries? I'm intrigued because Carrion, the character and the virus, are both connected to the Jackal, but I don't think Ben ever tangled with Carrion back in the 90s.

-Pav, who hopes that this miniseries pleases the majority of Ben Reilly fans...
    and yes to this
    troo fan or death

If you told me 6 years ago that Ben fans would be getting fed as well as we have been, I would have slapped you.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    If you told me 6 years ago that Ben fans would be getting fed as well as we have been, I would have slapped you.
    At least back then they were acknowledging the clone saga again. Imagine if someone went back to 1999 or 2000 when Marvel was still too scared to even utter the word “clone” in the books and told you Ben would be Spider-Man again in the core books, and it wasn’t even a multiverse or what-if story. I would’ve asked what they were smoking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    IIRC, David Baldeon handled some spots in Kaine's ongoing himself, the battle with Kraven and the like when the comic went crazy with its artists after Stegman wasn't the lead penciller anymore. I do remember he said in his profile he could 'lay claim' to both Scarlet Spiders since he did both Kaine and Ben.
    Ah that’s right. I suppose that’s something the Kaine SS book had in common with the Ben SS book. Rotating artists near the end of the run. Although the art in Ben’s book got even more scattershot and inconsistent (the last couple issues are difficult to even look at). Kaine’s book dipped in quality towards the end, but didn’t totally implode like Ben’s.

In any event, Baldeon looks decent here. Good colorist too.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Uh-huh. This is more like it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Good stuff, could have just given us this for Ben in the first place because it would hooked a lot more people in to him