Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Looking forward to audience reactions when he makes it to the big screen in the MCU. I’m betting they’ll go nuts. Because he’s the most popular mutant.
    Wonder what will happen when Insomniac releases the video game. I bet people will go totally mad in this forum. ,

Mighty Member

People aren't denying Wolverine is popular. It is you guys who are denying other characters are popular and deserve storyline. When someone brings that up, it gets brought up not only that he's the most popular X character but that sales are bad when they focus on anyone else (As if anyone cares about comic sales). Your proof that he's the only one who sells well? Ahh, metrics that come out of comic shops that are mainly owned by white males. It's similar to how Jordan D White doesn't want to age any XMEN because it's what worked in the past. Even though through new metrics (digital sales) have proven that focusing on minor characters does sell.

Even though he's gotten the most exposure during this era (Lead in HOX/POX, own solo, own team book, countless appearances) his fanbase acts like it's barely enough still.

When his movies come out in Marvel they will be huge just like the IronMan, Cpt. America, Thor movies. But the movies have also proven that the rules that apply to comics, don't apply to movies. Captain Marvel comics may barely sell in the traditional male owned comic markets, but her one movie has made a billion while the Wolverine movies combined have barely made half of that. Black Panther doesn't really sell as well but his movies make billions. Based on Wolverine logic, a Cpt. Marvel/Black Panther movie shouldn't have been made since you know, their comics don't make it to Wolverine levels of sales. According to this logic, a movie about a raccoon and a talking tree should've failed since the Guardians have never historically sold to the same level as other more popular comics. A Shang Chi movie? But has he even ever had as many comic events about him as Logan? There's a ton of other X-characters that can break out but they don't in comics cause Wolverine does everything. There market is big enough for more than one X character to break big.

So yeah, posters are tired of Wolverine being the only one who matters according to comic shops which are mainly owned by white men who constantly rely on old metrics to measure the popularity of "minor" characters that are usually also the minority characters.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 01-18-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    People aren't denying Wolverine is popular. It is you guys who are denying other characters are popular and deserve storyline. When someone brings that up, it gets brought up not only that he's the most popular X character but that sales are bad when they focus on anyone else (As if anyone cares about comic sales). Your proof that he's the only one who sells well? Ahh, metrics that come out of comic shops that are mainly owned by white males. It's similar to how Jordan D White doesn't want to age any XMEN because it's what worked in the past. Even though through new metrics (digital sales) have proven that focusing on minor characters does sell.

Even though he's gotten the most exposure during this era (Lead in HOX/POX, own solo, own team book, countless appearances) his fanbase acts like it's barely enough still.

When his movies come out in Marvel they will be huge just like the IronMan, Cpt. America, Thor movies. But the movies have also proven that the rules that apply to comics, don't apply to movies. Captain Marvel comics may barely sell in the traditional male owned comic markets, but her franchise has made billions while the Wolverine movies have barely made half of that. Black Panther doesn't really sell as well but his movies make billions. Based on Wolverine logic, a Cpt. Marvel/Black Panther movie shouldn't have been made since you know, their comics don't make it to Wolverine levels. There's a ton of other X-characters that can break out but they don't in comics cause Wolverine does everything.

So yeah, posters are tired of Wolverine being the only one who matters according to comic shops which are mainly owned by white men who constantly rely on old metrics to measure the popularity of "minor" characters that are usually also the minority characters.
    No one said no other characters are popular. What we have been responding to are posts that claim Wolverine is not the most popular character in the X-Men, which is categorically false. In this case there are a dozen characters who I think would be better suited for this kind of storyline, and I have no plans to read a single issue from Lives/Deaths of Wolverine since I've lost interest in the character post-Claremont. That doesn't change the fact that Wolverine is more popular than any other character and this being a Wolverine event guarantees it will sell significantly more than if it was about pretty much any other individual character. This is going to sell gangbusters even if I personally don't think it deserves to because that's the nature of the comics market right now.

Astonishing Member

Agreed with the above, it's a little weird that people are talking about Wolverine popularity being the key to success when the MCU has taken what was essentially the second stringers of the marvel universe and make them as big as they currently are. Get the right people behind it and you could see Wolverine dethroned as most popular X-character with the right movies and times. Doubt that will happen though.

When his movies come out in Marvel they will be huge just like the IronMan, Cpt. America, Thor movies. But the movies have also proven that the rules that apply to comics, don't apply to movies. Captain Marvel comics may barely sell in the traditional male owned comic markets, but her one movie has made a billion while the Wolverine movies combined have barely made half of that. Black Panther doesn't really sell as well but his movies make billions. Based on Wolverine logic, a Cpt. Marvel/Black Panther movie shouldn't have been made since you know, their comics don't make it to Wolverine levels of sales. According to this logic, a movie about a raccoon and a talking tree should've failed since the Guardians have never historically sold to the same level as other more popular comics. A Shang Chi movie? But has he even ever had as many comic events about him as Logan? There's a ton of other X-characters that can break out but they don't in comics cause Wolverine does everything. There market is big enough for more than one X character to break big.

I don't think you've ever seen me argue that other characters aren't popular or deserving of storylines, albeit maybe others have. I have enjoyed and supported many of the X-men solo spinoffs, both ongoing and limited series, we've gotten over the years from Cable to Storm to Psylocke to Deadpool to Bishop: The Last X-man to Nightcrawler, etc. However, what you're saying above is a very circular argument. Because oftentimes fans arguing for their favorites do so by arguing against Wolverine and are asking for focus to be taken away from him and instead given to another character. Which IMO is wrong-headed because it's not like Ben Percy had this major story idea for some other character and Marvel forced him to use Logan. Quite the contrary. So it's not like X Lives/Deaths of Wolverine is preventing Marvel from creating storylines for other characters if they were so inclined.

Bottom line: If you're tired of Wolverine, great. Don't buy his comics and just advocate for your favorites instead. But to sit here and act like Marvel shouldn't be publishing Wolverine stories is just silly IMO. He's popular, so they're not going to stop doing that.

Oh, and I'll add before anyone says, "Yeah but they paused the entire line for his event so he is holding back my favorite(s)" that I don't believe that one bit. They needed to retool the line after Hickman's announced departure and decided to throw this event in the gap to buy them time to do that. I'm not any happier about it than anyone else, even though I like Wolverine as a character (I want my X-men Red and I want it now!). But to hate on Wolverine for it is just pissing into the wind honestly. Especially since, as sunofdarkchild pointed out, this is going to sell quite well for Marvel, so from the X-office's perspective they probably think it quite a clever move commercially to buy them the desired time to retool/relaunch all the X-books.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 01-18-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Agreed with the above, it's a little weird that people are talking about Wolverine popularity being the key to success when the MCU has taken what was essentially the second stringers of the marvel universe and make them as big as they currently are. Get the right people behind it and you could see Wolverine dethroned as most popular X-character with the right movies and times. Doubt that will happen though.
    A couple of things. 1, successful movies do not often translate to the comics selling more. 2. Even if it did, the entire point is academic until a movie comes out that gives another character the kind of push into the spotlight Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy got. If a Magik movie comes out that gets the character perfect and makes a billion dollars, maybe a Magik comic event will sell like a Wolverine event. Since nothing like that has happened, The Labors of Magik storyline is going to sell worse than Live/Deaths of Wolverine even if Marvel markets the former story as perfectly as possible, My fanboyism for Magik and disinterest in Logan cannot change that.

Mighty Member

I hope this is not another over-hyped boring event like X of Swords that have no important after-effects but a filler before Destiny of X.

My guess is that it's all about Wolverine's origin and reviews of his most important history.

Extraordinary Member

I haven't seen a single poster who said this ngl

Just multiple dozens of posters mad that Wolverine is getting more comics, I don't like Logan but damn.

And Marvel will always do what makes them more money, stop pretending like they care more about anything else.As a minority myself, and one whose been to multiple comic book shops consistently enough to be on a First name basis w/ owners they'll buy and sell whatever is in demand(They're are exceptions as in all fields, but I haven't seen one yet).

And Marvel has the digital sales data, if they see other characters selling better than Logan or anyone else they will get more books.Marvel won't shoot themselves in the leg for nothing.

If Marvel is still using Logan and not other X characters that "can break out" then Marvel saw the sales data(both digital and via shops) and didn't think it was worth it to loose sales for a chance for said X-character to break out.W/ how much books like recent X-factor got pirated as compared to how much it sold maybe you're mistaking interest w/ willingness to spend money.Same thing w/ Black Widow movie
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 01-18-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    A couple of things. 1, successful movies do not often translate to the comics selling more. 2. Even if it did, the entire point is academic until a movie comes out that gives another character the kind of push into the spotlight Iron Man or Guardians of the Galaxy got. If a Magik movie comes out that gets the character perfect and makes a billion dollars, maybe a Magik comic event will sell like a Wolverine event. Since nothing like that has happened, The Labors of Magik storyline is going to sell worse than Live/Deaths of Wolverine even if Marvel markets the former story as perfectly as possible, My fanboyism for Magik and disinterest in Logan cannot change that.
    This basically. Wolverine is the most popular x-character, period. That another ‘better or more deserving’ character could get more popular in the movies is possible (though not guaranteed) but a separate fact from the first one, Wolverine is still the most popular character. *shrugs*