Ultimate Member

Default Citadel (Spoilers)

So anyone watching this?

CBR says it's doing great in Europe, but honestly I can't imagine why.

It's like a 1960s Shield comic book, at best. Glossy to look at, but struggling with basic internal logic and relevance.

Costing some 300 mil, I honest thought we'd get more than 6 episodes.

I never thought I'd say this, but Fast and Furious has better spycraft than this series and this series is supposed to be about spycraft, not fast cars.

300 million and not a penny to writers?
    Last edited by The Cool Thatguy; 05-26-2023 at 03:59 PM.

I agree with your assessment, except those Shield books were much better.
    Part of the big price tag is the first results were so bad they hired the Rusus Bros to redo it, including reshoots.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

I watched it. It... was. I was really only watching 'cause Richard Madden is earnest and does the hero thing well, and Priyanka Chopra Jonas is hot.

There is a nugget of a really interesting idea here. The mind-wiping conceit is actually the kind of thing that has real potential. It just isn't deployed that well, here. The show is much too concerned with trying to be tense on the one hand and romantic on the other, and neither actually works because the core narrative is dependent on the "mystery" of who did what betraying. Which brings me to my most salient point:

I was mega disappointed that the big climactic reveal of the entire season was PAINFULLY AND DREADFULLY OBVIOUS about 20 minutes into the first episode. Come on guys, we've all watched a ton of this spy stuff, you have to do better if you want to actually be dramatic or surprising. I'll give them a tiny grain of credit because the connection between the traitor and the villain only popped into my head about 30 seconds before they revealed it, but the essential treachery and the reasons for it were SO BORING.

Alias did much of the same groundwork and did it better, with more memorable characters, better stakes and more heart pounding tension. And it did it 10+ years ago. (Well, for two years, then it went off the rails itself. But point still stands.)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

So in the early discussion I'm the outlier it appears. Maybe I'll stand alone, hope not.

I really enjoyed it. I did have pegged that Dahlia had some ties back to our cast. I thought it might even be Bernard, that interrogation sequence even helped tilt me that way.

The love affair that with memories restored becomes something of love triangle was fairly easy to see coming. Don't think they hit it that well, if they were hiding it. Carter can surely retrieve Abby's memories as well, right?

The build up was better than the finale if only cause when it ends I was literally like, wait, we are cold stopping on that over the shoulder hug gaze???

Mason, you have two kids nearly the same age though, both daughters so I feel you man. Got 2 myself.

I liked it and look forward to next season. Will very likely try the spinoff Diana next year when it debuts.

I gave it an 8 over on IMDB. A decent B/B- grade out of me. Worth ones time. It can all be watched in about 3hrs 45min subtracting out the 5min of credits from each episode.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I watched it. It... was. I was really only watching 'cause Richard Madden is earnest and does the hero thing well, and Priyanka Chopra Jonas is hot.

There is a nugget of a really interesting idea here. The mind-wiping conceit is actually the kind of thing that has real potential. It just isn't deployed that well, here. The show is much too concerned with trying to be tense on the one hand and romantic on the other, and neither actually works because the core narrative is dependent on the "mystery" of who did what betraying. Which brings me to my most salient point:

I was mega disappointed that the big climactic reveal of the entire season was PAINFULLY AND DREADFULLY OBVIOUS about 20 minutes into the first episode. Come on guys, we've all watched a ton of this spy stuff, you have to do better if you want to actually be dramatic or surprising. I'll give them a tiny grain of credit because the connection between the traitor and the villain only popped into my head about 30 seconds before they revealed it, but the essential treachery and the reasons for it were SO BORING.

Alias did much of the same groundwork and did it better, with more memorable characters, better stakes and more heart pounding tension. And it did it 10+ years ago. (Well, for two years, then it went off the rails itself. But point still stands.)
    I'll admit, I didn't see the reveal coming, but I can't say it was that engaging, and I honestly expected them to introduce a few more guys so that we'd have decent suspects before the reveal. But I knew it wasn't Nadia, so the logical conclusion is...

That said, it strikes me as odd that the head of Citadel, Benard, knows the woman who organized their takedown, and her history, yet it never occurs to him that maybe it was her grandson who flipped?

I'm going to disagree with the consensus and say I actually enjoyed this. Yes, the traitor was obvious from the second episode but I'm still interested in where they goo from here. And there's obviously more to the story because it's way too coincidental that Mason ended up married to the woman he betrayed as Mason. Plus he now has 2 daughters who are half-sisters.

Also they have a new spin-off with Citadel: Diana and that looks like it could be fun.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I'm going to disagree with the consensus and say I actually enjoyed this. Yes, the traitor was obvious from the second episode but I'm still interested in where they goo from here. And there's obviously more to the story because it's way too coincidental that Mason ended up married to the woman he betrayed as Mason. Plus he now has 2 daughters who are half-sisters.

Also they have a new spin-off with Citadel: Diana and that looks like it could be fun.
    Well, there hardly seems to be a consensus

To each their own.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

For sure it is as of now you and me FOR the show.
    About double that DOWN on it and one seemingly MEH.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It was.....stupid, I guess is the best word.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

I was talking to my sister about this series, and we kinda agreed that the production values worked against it. It really did feel like an overly long movie, as glossy as it was.

If it were an actual movie, I'd be able to forgive the poor internal logic. Only so much time, ya know?

But it was a series, so no excuse there

I also found that two global spanning agencies where only a handful of people are involved with everything and connected to each other a bit much.