Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have to wonder how this show would handle the mere idea of going back and "righting what once went wrong" in history. The old show addressed a lot of social issues when this country wasn't fiercely divided on almost everything. Now, the show might get swallowed up in reactions to its "message" more than its stories.
    I'd argue that makes a show like this all the more important now. Part of the issue we're having at present is that we've avoided a lot of uncomfortable conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have to wonder how this show would handle the mere idea of going back and "righting what once went wrong" in history. The old show addressed a lot of social issues when this country wasn't fiercely divided on almost everything. Now, the show might get swallowed up in reactions to its "message" more than its stories.
    As I said previously, as long as Bellisario and Pratt are in charge I have REASONABLE confidence that the social commentary will be handled in a nuanced and subtle manner.

Sam has a daughter in the "Trilogy" three parter who apparently works at the Leap project in the present. However, she was born in the 1960s so probably wouldn't work as the lead character...
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I wonder if they'll break the "one can only time travel within one's lifetime" rule. Otherwise, I'm not sure how interesting it will be to only travel within the last 30 something years. Those years aren't quite as interesting as the years Sam was able to travel to.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Sam has a daughter in the "Trilogy" three parter who apparently works at the Leap project in the present. However, she was born in the 1960s so probably wouldn't work as the lead character...
    Could just use his granddaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Intentionally taking over someone’s body feels different than doing it accidentally.
    I would actually prefer their minds switch bodies instead of Sam taking other people's places when there is a notable size difference and it really doesn't work.

Also, a sequel could address things never properly explained in the original.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would actually prefer their minds switch bodies instead of Sam taking other people's places when there is a notable size difference and it really doesn't work.

Also, a sequel could address things never properly explained in the original.
    ...that's what actually happened wasn't it? We just saw Scott Bakula as a visual short hand but for everyone else it was the same person.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...that's what actually happened wasn't it? We just saw Scott Bakula as a visual short hand but for everyone else it was the same person.
    I remember a scene where he was taking the place of guy with no legs and we saw him get up and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I remember a scene where he was taking the place of guy with no legs and we saw him get up and run.
    I don't recall that scene but thwhtGuardian is correct. Sam's body was in the present (future) and only his mind/neurons were transferred. That's how Al could still interact with him.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I don't recall that scene but thwhtGuardian is correct. Sam's body was in the present (future) and only his mind/neurons were transferred. That's how Al could still interact with him.
    No. His actual body was traveling through time - people (including Sam looking in the mirror) just saw the original person because of the time-splicing, swiss cheese thing.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If they are doing short seasons (10-13 episodes) I could see the whole first season being sort of a search for Sam thing with them saving Sam but in the process the new person gets stuck jumping like Sam did.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Interesting thing about this. Let's say Sam (or whoever) is about 35 years old in the present. So, he was born in 1987. So, if it is the same premise, that's as far back as he can go. They may be able to do something interesting with it. But, to my perspective, that's almost the present. Episodes taking place in the 1990s and after are definitely, basically, the present as far as I'm concerned.

To me, the fifties were the past. The '60s were when I was a kid so seeing them from an adult perspective counts as the past. The seventies I can count as the past.

So, there's a huge perspective factor. For someone as young now as I was when the original show aired, the '80s and even the '90s may have a feeling of being the past.
    That's the thing with the old show was that Sam was perfectly positioned in time and age to go back to times in the mid-20th Century, which was a very big time of social change in the U.S. and the world. I'm not sure times since then will have the same "oomph" in a lot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Why not? The show has a cool premise so I don't see the issue?
    I think they did just about everything in the original show.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, he switched places. That was made clear.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    That's the thing with the old show was that Sam was perfectly positioned in time and age to go back to times in the mid-20th Century, which was a very big time of social change in the U.S. and the world. I'm not sure times since then will have the same "oomph" in a lot of ways.
    For me, a lot of it is just that the '80s is part of not just my lifetime but my adult lifetime so I don't really think of it as the past. Had my father watched the show, maybe he would have had the same problem with only being able to get back to the '50s.

But good point about the 50's and '60s feeling like a pivotal era. But that also depends on what sorts of social issues they focus on. I cannot help but notice that people who loved the original Star Trek and its messages are- sometimes- the same people who call it woke when a show or movie deals with issues that have become far bigger since that time. But a "Quantum Leap" exploring not just civil rights stories based on race or sex but also on things like sexual orientation and trans issues and exploring the development of those social developments in a personal way could make a '80s/ '90s/ early 21st century version very interesting.