Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Default NBC orders a Pilot Episode for a Quantum Leap Reboot

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/510...um-leap-reboot

I don't know where I land on the side of this one....
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Only watch it if they bring Sam home first episode.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I was just thinking today of shows im shocked they have not rebooted yet this one was at the top of the list.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    https://www.superherohype.com/tv/510...um-leap-reboot

I don't know where I land on the side of this one....
    Interesting thing about this. Let's say Sam (or whoever) is about 35 years old in the present. So, he was born in 1987. So, if it is the same premise, that's as far back as he can go. They may be able to do something interesting with it. But, to my perspective, that's almost the present. Episodes taking place in the 1990s and after are definitely, basically, the present as far as I'm concerned.

To me, the fifties were the past. The '60s were when I was a kid so seeing them from an adult perspective counts as the past. The seventies I can count as the past.

So, there's a huge perspective factor. For someone as young now as I was when the original show aired, the '80s and even the '90s may have a feeling of being the past.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Only watch it if they bring Sam home first episode.
    Plus I doubt they'll go with "GodDoneIt" as hypothesized by a computer and a room of the world's top scientists just blithely accepts that premise.

But it would be great to have Bakula in the first episode, conclude his story (instead of that non-conclusion they did) and then have someone else take over, jumping into the past and other people but controlling it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Plus I doubt they'll go with "GodDoneIt" as hypothesized by a computer and a room of the world's top scientists just blithely accepts that premise.

But it would be great to have Bakula in the first episode, conclude his story (instead of that non-conclusion they did) and then have someone else take over, jumping into the past and other people but controlling it.
    Intentionally taking over someone’s body feels different than doing it accidentally.

Normally I'd be wary about this, as these kind of shows don't last long on NBC. But with Peacock in play, I can see them actually giving the show a chance.

I don't think anyone really wants this?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I'd be surprised if SOME fans of the original "Quantum Leap" series don't want this.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

According to Deadline, the new series picks up 30 years after Sam’s disappearance.
    That would make this a sequel. Not a reboot. I hate when people label continuation of an existing story as a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Why not? The show has a cool premise so I don't see the issue?

I think as long as Bellisario and Pratt are involved, I'm okay with it. I just think it's weird that NBC wants to do this now. Quantum Leap is one of my favorite shows of all-time, but it's definitely a product of its era. I always thought QL was a Highway to Heaven series with time travel. That kind of television was made in a FAR less cynical time than today. It'll be interesting to see how modern audiences react to it.

Retired

Prior to the death of Dean Stockwell, I wanted Sam and Al to return--but now that he's gone, it would be sad to have Scott Bakula return to the role without his Al.

I guess as a total reboot, with no reference to the original series, it could work on its own. But I see it as being a very different show. The original QUANTUM LEAP worked for the series television of its time--with stand alone episodes, virtually an anthology series, and just Bakula and Stockwell to establish a thread between all these disparate stories. At the same time it served as a showcase for Bakula's talent as an actor, becoming different characters and reacting to different situations.

A modern series would probably consist of continuing arcs and less stand alone stories. It probably wouldn't have an all-new cast for each episode but keep many actors in the cast for successive episodes. It wouldn't be about just one main character adapting to different times and places. It would probably be about a Quantum Leap team faced with a big bad challenge to solve over the course of the series--something like TIMELESS or LEGENDS OF TOMORROW.

Might as well do it. All the other franchises are dead or dying, I doubt anyone will mind adding one more to the pile.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I have to wonder how this show would handle the mere idea of going back and "righting what once went wrong" in history. The old show addressed a lot of social issues when this country wasn't fiercely divided on almost everything. Now, the show might get swallowed up in reactions to its "message" more than its stories.