Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mighty Member

Edit: Wrong Thread

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Ironically, a big part of the audience now is probably as intolerant as the backwards-facing people that Sam encountered in the 50s and 60s. At least with the original show there was a presumption that the audience would be on Sam's side when he fought racism and intolerance.
    The late 80s, early to mid 90s were a uniquely optimistic era to grow up in. Or at least it felt that way.

Did not appreciate at the time how unique it was in the scheme of history.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Without Bakula, my interest in this show is markedly lessened. Maybe it's a ruse or they a plan to bring Bakula in, but they need Bakula at some point for this to work.
    This linked story didn't mention it, but a different one said he is an Executive Producer, even though he is acting in another show. To me, that gives them a wide open doorway to have him appear at some point, even if it is just an episode or two. And if this other show doesn't work out, that could make it even more likely that he shows up.

I do wonder how they approach the idea of needing to "restart" the project. Are they going to say that the government shut down the original at some point and left Beckett to fend for himself without Al or an Al substitute? Al would have fought to the death to stay in contact, but once he died, it would depend on who took over.

Fantastic Member

https://tvline.com/2022/07/25/quantu...r-martin-gero/

NBC’s Quantum Leap reboot is undergoing a behind-the-scenes shakeup, with Blindspot creator Martin Gero — who had been serving in an EP capacity on the series — taking over as showrunner, TVLine has confirmed.

He replaces co-showrunners Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt, both of whom will remain with the series as exec producers.

Meanwhile, Dean Georgaris (Bluff City Law) is joining as an EP.

An NBC rep declined to comment on the reason for the switch — which comes three episodes (the pilot + two episodes) into Quantum Leap‘s inaugural season — but Deadline reports that there has been buzz about “scripts being late.” Also per our sister pub, the pilot is unlikely to air as the opening episode, with Episode 3 being eyed for the premiere spot.
    Well I saw this coming a mile away...you can't start a show with casting and then try and work a concept. The fact that the show is going to have to bury the pilot during the season is just...yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods View Post
    https://tvline.com/2022/07/25/quantu...r-martin-gero/
    Well I saw this coming a mile away...you can't start a show with casting and then try and work a concept. The fact that the show is going to have to bury the pilot during the season is just...yikes.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they scrap the pilot that was filmed and throw us a flashback ep in the middle of the season that's an origin story different from what they did in the pilot - something that aligns more with what the new showrunner wants to do. (just wild speculation )

Fantastic Member

It wouldn't surprise me if they scrap the pilot that was filmed and throw us a flashback ep in the middle of the season that's an origin story different from what they did in the pilot - something that aligns more with what the new showrunner wants to do. (just wild speculation )
    The difference is HBO delays shows and retools them...this has it's released date. Which was one of the many problems of this reboot. They didn't see if they had a show that could work before selling the fans on it.

Something that jumps out at me is that this seems like it will be more of a team show, which is the current trend. So instead of having the more intimate and focused interactions between the traveler and one future figure, we'll have a lot more moving parts.

It will also all tie into some kind of larger overarching mystery as opposed to the done-in-one adventures.

I will say that I tend to prefer the simplicity of the traveler focused solely on each mission. I loved PERSON OF INTEREST, for instance, but thought it lost a lot when it shifted toward the bigger question of the Machine and was no longer about the simple act of saving individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Something that jumps out at me is that this seems like it will be more of a team show, which is the current trend. So instead of having the more intimate and focused interactions between the traveler and one future figure, we'll have a lot more moving parts.

It will also all tie into some kind of larger overarching mystery as opposed to the done-in-one adventures.

I will say that I tend to prefer the simplicity of the traveler focused solely on each mission. I loved PERSON OF INTEREST, for instance, but thought it lost a lot when it shifted toward the bigger question of the Machine and was no longer about the simple act of saving individuals.
    To each their own, but of course it always comes down to execution. I actually thought PoI really took off when they started the larger Samaritan storyline.(I don't think they quite stuck the landing, but it was a great ride)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-29-2022 at 05:48 AM.

To each their own, but of course it always comes down to execution. I actually thought PoI really took off when they started the larger Samaritan storyline.(I don't think they quite stuck the landing, but it was a great ride)
    Yeah, it wasn't like I hated the Samaritan storyline. But I did prefer the more intimate human interest stories.

That said I don't dislike longform storytelling. I'm just a sucker for the 'person of the week' the hero has to save.