Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Default NBC orders a Pilot Episode for a Quantum Leap Reboot

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/510...um-leap-reboot

I don't know where I land on the side of this one....
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Only watch it if they bring Sam home first episode.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I was just thinking today of shows im shocked they have not rebooted yet this one was at the top of the list.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Only watch it if they bring Sam home first episode.
    Plus I doubt they'll go with "GodDoneIt" as hypothesized by a computer and a room of the world's top scientists just blithely accepts that premise.

But it would be great to have Bakula in the first episode, conclude his story (instead of that non-conclusion they did) and then have someone else take over, jumping into the past and other people but controlling it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Plus I doubt they'll go with "GodDoneIt" as hypothesized by a computer and a room of the world's top scientists just blithely accepts that premise.

But it would be great to have Bakula in the first episode, conclude his story (instead of that non-conclusion they did) and then have someone else take over, jumping into the past and other people but controlling it.
    Intentionally taking over someone’s body feels different than doing it accidentally.

Normally I'd be wary about this, as these kind of shows don't last long on NBC. But with Peacock in play, I can see them actually giving the show a chance.

I don't think anyone really wants this?

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Intentionally taking over someone’s body feels different than doing it accidentally.
    I would actually prefer their minds switch bodies instead of Sam taking other people's places when there is a notable size difference and it really doesn't work.

Also, a sequel could address things never properly explained in the original.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I would actually prefer their minds switch bodies instead of Sam taking other people's places when there is a notable size difference and it really doesn't work.

Also, a sequel could address things never properly explained in the original.
    ...that's what actually happened wasn't it? We just saw Scott Bakula as a visual short hand but for everyone else it was the same person.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    https://www.superherohype.com/tv/510...um-leap-reboot

I don't know where I land on the side of this one....
    Interesting thing about this. Let's say Sam (or whoever) is about 35 years old in the present. So, he was born in 1987. So, if it is the same premise, that's as far back as he can go. They may be able to do something interesting with it. But, to my perspective, that's almost the present. Episodes taking place in the 1990s and after are definitely, basically, the present as far as I'm concerned.

To me, the fifties were the past. The '60s were when I was a kid so seeing them from an adult perspective counts as the past. The seventies I can count as the past.

So, there's a huge perspective factor. For someone as young now as I was when the original show aired, the '80s and even the '90s may have a feeling of being the past.

Astonishing Member

Interesting thing about this. Let's say Sam (or whoever) is about 35 years old in the present. So, he was born in 1987. So, if it is the same premise, that's as far back as he can go. They may be able to do something interesting with it. But, to my perspective, that's almost the present. Episodes taking place in the 1990s and after are definitely, basically, the present as far as I'm concerned.

To me, the fifties were the past. The '60s were when I was a kid so seeing them from an adult perspective counts as the past. The seventies I can count as the past.

So, there's a huge perspective factor. For someone as young now as I was when the original show aired, the '80s and even the '90s may have a feeling of being the past.
    That's the thing with the old show was that Sam was perfectly positioned in time and age to go back to times in the mid-20th Century, which was a very big time of social change in the U.S. and the world. I'm not sure times since then will have the same "oomph" in a lot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    That's the thing with the old show was that Sam was perfectly positioned in time and age to go back to times in the mid-20th Century, which was a very big time of social change in the U.S. and the world. I'm not sure times since then will have the same "oomph" in a lot of ways.
    For me, a lot of it is just that the '80s is part of not just my lifetime but my adult lifetime so I don't really think of it as the past. Had my father watched the show, maybe he would have had the same problem with only being able to get back to the '50s.

But good point about the 50's and '60s feeling like a pivotal era. But that also depends on what sorts of social issues they focus on. I cannot help but notice that people who loved the original Star Trek and its messages are- sometimes- the same people who call it woke when a show or movie deals with issues that have become far bigger since that time. But a "Quantum Leap" exploring not just civil rights stories based on race or sex but also on things like sexual orientation and trans issues and exploring the development of those social developments in a personal way could make a '80s/ '90s/ early 21st century version very interesting.