Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Last year's Krakoan Gala was the 3rd gala shown in The X-books. The New Mutants went to a Hellfire Gala with Magneto in "New Mutants" issue 53. That was one of my favorite issues of all time: Wolfsbane and Catseye shape-shifted and played together as wolf and cat, Cypher got drunk and smacked Roulette and then the two teams squared up for a fight: "New Mutants Vs. Hellions. May the best team win!"

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.43.19 PM.jpg
    Mutant and Proud!

That is for the best. Doesn’t need to be a 10 issue event every year.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTitan View Post
    Last year's Krakoan Gala was the 3rd gala shown in The X-books. The New Mutants went to a Hellfire Gala with Magneto in "New Mutants" issue 53. That was one of my favorite issues of all time: Wolfsbane and Catseye shape-shifted and played together as wolf and cat, Cypher got drunk and smacked Roulette and then the two teams squared up for a fight: "New Mutants Vs. Hellions. May the best team win!"

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.43.19 PM.jpg
    This issue was great

I agree with the Gala having just one issue so it doesn´t get in the way of the other books stories and most of the important events can be shown in it, just like Planet Size was for the gala.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-15-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Well it doesn't make sense to have it yearly by real time standard anyway, since the sliding time scale of the marvel universe would mean a year only has passed after 4 to 5 real world years (time manipulation like reversals and skips not included).

That aside, the whole event last year was a whole lot of nothing anyway (the only major things happened in the planet sized one-shot), which makes sense since the whole idea was original for a single issues of Marauders anyway until they came to the conclusion a dress up party had the same impact for super hero comics as a world shattering danger that had to be faced with the combined force of multiple hero teams...

So it feels to me like even spending one issue on the whole thing again is allready a waste of paper.

Comic books are, by nature, a medium of design: panel layouts, color design, composition and, yes, fashion design. The Hellfire Gala, which was always a part of the mutant canon, has just now elevated the fashion design element of an already in universe event. I, personally, loved the designs for all the mutants last year and look forward to next year's looks.
    It gives the artists a chance to innovate and flex their creative muscles, which is what comics need if the medium is to evolve.
    Mutant and Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I agree with everyone here, going for a more low-key one-shot the second time around is the better option.
    I feel like even though things did happen, we had a lot of filler in the last Gala event.
    Just compare the amount of new content in the 12-issue Hellfire Gala crossover to the 12-issue HOX/POX event - and the Gala had more Red issues.

Since Gerry Duggan tweeted about this, I assume that he's either writing the one-shot or writing the main story of the one-shot with the other writers contributing small sections.
    I wonder if they can get Russell Dauterman to do the interiors again, especially for the Year 2 X-Men sequence.
    The only way to get Dauterman to do interiors these days is if Jean and Storm are both in an issue together, which will presumably be the case here.

I assume that this one-shot will come in either late June or early July, just based on the X-Men publishing schedule:
    April 2022 - X-Men 10
    May 2022 - X-Men 11
    June 2022 - X-Men 12 (The finale of the 'Fearless' story arc, end of the Year 1 X-Men team)

June/July 2022 - Hellfire Gala 2 (Jean and Scott introduce the Year 2 X-Men team)

July 2022 - X-Men 13 (The Year 2 X-Men team move into the Treehouse, start of a new story arc)
    Man, they really rushed through this X-Men team.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Well it doesn't make sense to have it yearly by real time standard anyway, since the sliding time scale of the marvel universe would mean a year only has passed after 4 to 5 real world years (time manipulation like reversals and skips not included).

That aside, the whole event last year was a whole lot of nothing anyway (the only major things happened in the planet sized one-shot), which makes sense since the whole idea was original for a single issues of Marauders anyway until they came to the conclusion a dress up party had the same impact for super hero comics as a world shattering danger that had to be faced with the combined force of multiple hero teams...

So it feels to me like even spending one issue on the whole thing again is allready a waste of paper.
    I... don't understand why some people can't be satisfied with a clear compromise. Last year the artists enjoyed designing the new looks, a bunch of the writers seemed to enjoy participating (and I wouldn't want to live in a world without the Hellions tie-in and the New Mutants tie-in actually got me emotional), and plenty of fans loved the concept, the buildup, and parts of the execution. So clearly it wasn't a "waste of paper" for everyone. But I get it, it was a whole month of comics dedicated to a concept that some might not enjoy. Now they're saying that it'll be contained to a single issue that can be easily skipped and won't consume the line, but it's STILL a problem? When did we get to the point of not caring about what brings joy to anyone else (both creators and fans) that we have to complain about every little thing that doesn't directly cater to us?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I hope it's Firestar if only to make the Penance fans mad. But I'm confident she's the pick

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I... don't understand why some people can't be satisfied with a clear compromise. Last year the artists enjoyed designing the new looks, a bunch of the writers seemed to enjoy participating (and I wouldn't want to live in a world without the Hellions tie-in and the New Mutants tie-in actually got me emotional), and plenty of fans loved the concept, the buildup, and parts of the execution. So clearly it wasn't a "waste of paper" for everyone. But I get it, it was a whole month of comics dedicated to a concept that some might not enjoy. Now they're saying that it'll be contained to a single issue that can be easily skipped and won't consume the line, but it's STILL a problem? When did we get to the point of not caring about what brings joy to anyone else (both creators and fans) that we have to complain about every little thing that doesn't directly cater to us?
    Can you say it again louder for the mutants in the back of the resurrection queue?!
    Mutant and Proud!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

I admit, that was too harshly worded and not how i usualy put my positions. Personal apathy towards it's main selling points and the frustration from the event feeling like putting everything else on pause for little actual gain to the overall story (even Hellions felt more like Wells doing the best with a bad hand given to him) and status quo being at play here (same as for Ten of Swords).

However where i still feel the Hellfire Gala One-Shot 2022 is a "waste of paper" or more carefully explained where i feel it's main selling point is not used correctly or to it's full potential, is that they try to do the "X-men dress up party", using the same title and in universe event which was supposed to be an impactfull event storyline and exceptional in universe gathering last year, despite said universe requiring 4-5 real world years to have a year pass there.

Essentialy that with trying to redo the Hellfire Gala "event" in just a single book, only one year after the previous "annual" one, they are just going to underdeliver in all aspects of the allready weak previous event.

While i admit that i'm not particular interested by the fashion aspect of the Hellfire Gala last year (i also feel a lot of outfits either missed the mark of the characters, looked unimpressive and some artist were not well suited for it), it didn't bother me either overall.
    What bothered me was how indecisive it was in what it was supposed to be. As action/story event it fell flat entirely, as "political" event it didn't deliver enough intrigue and serious power play (the X-men had all the cards to beginn with), as drama it wasn't more interesting than what the respective titles allready did by themself and as fashion show it wasn't focused enough and had too many "cooks in the kitchen" to deliver a proper bandwith of designs and put them into perspective.

A fashion show needs... "drama", not personal one but presentation wise, but in the event itself they were mostly either just standing around talking or doing action scenes not really highlighting the designs (some covers tried, but many didn't).

So what is the point of using the Hellfire Gala title again, if said name has (in my opinion) now been spend on an indecisive under delivering event. It should have it's own dedicated title and setup which is independent of a specific storyline and a status quo which could break appart at any time because of potentialy tanking sales, changing leadership or editorial demand for reboots.

If there is a serious buying audience for a "X-men dress up party" than they should get said product properly and sustainably. Which to me means the right artist, the right colorist, the right setup, the right page count and the right name for it.

No pannel space wasted on dialoge and events that don't matter to what the book is about, focus on visual story telling foremost, no limitation to just characters who appear in story or are part of the currently existing X-men books (remember all the fan designs for characters never allowed to show up?), chose artists specifically for how well they can design outfits or put them in scene, have the artist coordinate so the outfits are consistent, have the artist create in universe "brands" that resemble each other more closely (instead of a single guy supposedly creating all with no "finger print" visible) and finaly put it all in scene with impressive spread pages (think the 8 page spread of Ultimates 2) full of interesting, amazing or funny little details.

... i feel like i allready wrote something similar last year.

Like make it 50 pages. 30 for the concept art of the outfits, 10 for the major pages showing stages of the meeting, 4 for artists notes, 4 for detailing the story of what is shown, 2 for prologe and epiloge.

And don't use "Hellfire Gala" because that has been done and requires 4-5 years to be "annual" in universe.

Basicly if they want to do a X-men fashion show, they should do it RIGHT, which the Hellfire Gala wasn't in my opinion, hence why i consider it a waste to re-use that name and in universe "meeting" rather than creating a proper foundation for one that can actualy be done yearly without issues of in universe reasons or status quo.
    They could then even do it retroactively that way. Show a dress up part that happend during one of the 70's, 80's or 90's status quos (there are worse retcons).

Again just my two cents.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-15-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Incredible Member

When it's basically being shoved down our throats by posts like this one. When did crappy artwork that can be best described as a waste of paper become "new looks" that is to be highly thought of?
    Last edited by rcaguy; 01-15-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Astonishing Member

Local poster insists only their personal art tastes matter and anyone who enjoys anything they don't is thus irrelevant and wrong. How groundbreaking. How novel. News story at eleven.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Local poster insists only their personal art tastes matter and anyone who enjoys anything they don't is thus irrelevant and wrong. How groundbreaking. How novel. News story at eleven.
    Get over it.

I found the gala and costume designs refreshing. It was something new and exciting imo, even if I didn't like all the designs. The mutants got to be in the spotlight and have some fun with fashion.

At the end of the day we all have the choice to read the issues or not. But some make it sound as if they're being forced.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!