Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I said it before I will say it again. It is not a question of who will get rid of OMD but when. I am predicting ASM 1000. There is little doubt that Peter needs a clean slate, and that means no more Mephisto, no more “Pathetic Parker”/“Damsel In Distress” no more Pwter as a loser and no more Quesada.
    You know that's not going to happen. That would be the equivalent of ending the series.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Dan Jurgens.
    Problem with Jurgens is that he is (was?) vehemently against the marriage, since in the Clone Saga it's all but accepted he's the one who convinced the Spider-Man editor to undo the switcheroo as soon as possible, but that was still only step one; and Peter needed to be single ASAP as well.

Either way, that was a long while ago and he's definitely mellowed out on Ben, so I don't doubt he might as well accept the marriage now.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Literally anyone.
    I can agree with this, because if people recall, Spencer took over Amazing Spider-Man after a charitably described as "controversial" event with Secret Empire and with a very common (and merited, I'd say) criticism he was putting more focus on politics on the stories than anything else. Then his Spidey run was more about sprawling the lore with a lot of stuff decades apart, and hinting at OMD made a whole lot of people (me not included, but that's neither here nor there) hyped for his run.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Fantastic Member

I said it before I will say it again. It is not a question of who will get rid of OMD but when. I am predicting ASM 1000. There is little doubt that Peter needs a clean slate, and that means no more Mephisto, no more “Pathetic Parker”/“Damsel In Distress” no more Pwter as a loser and no more Quesada.
    Here's the thing. It's been fourteen years, and over four hundred issues. It isn't hanging over the character because, short of some hints at the end of Spencer's run, they haven't addressed it. Marvel has moved on. It was a story that was reverse engineered to get a status quo they wanted, and they have no reason to undo it. Most readers don't care about, if they even think about it or remember it at all. The way that I know that most readers do not care about OMD is that Amazing continues to be one of Marvel's biggest sellers, often it's number one ongoing title. That wouldn't be the case if readers were unhappy with the direction of the book. Maybe for a little bit, if you figure readers were sticking around waiting for things to change, but not for fourteen years. Readers are fine with the status quo of Amazing Spider-Man.

There's a phrase I've heard used about people on Twitter being "terminally online," i.e. they spend so much time on the site that it warps their sense of what things are in the zeitgeist and what aren't, and they start to believe that the things that they are following are much more important to the average person than they are (most of the time, the average person has no idea what they're even talking about.) And this board has a similar effect. Look at the thread asking about Slott coming back. The number of posters who were absolutely flummoxed by the idea that anybody could like the Slott run despite the fact that he wrote it for a decade and kept it at the top of the sales chart, and his stories and ideas were adapted into other media. It's fine that people on this board don't like it--I didn't always like it--but they are incapable of accepting the idea that there are a large number of people who liked his run just fine, weren't bothered by it, kept collecting it because they enjoyed reading it. Those posters are terminally online.

It is entirely possible they will one day address OMD in the books themselves, but if so, I suspect it will be, ironically, for the same reason they did OMD in the first place: a new person in power (be it EIC or CCO or whomever) has a personal dislike of it. It won't be because readers demand it, because it's clear they don't care.

That doesn't sound fun at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wow, this is a horrible joke and arguably the reason why we should get over OMD.
    I'm so glad we 100000% agree. Marvel should get over OMD and just do an editors note in a random issue "Hey, Pete's married because those stories were stupid - Akira Yoshida" and we move on because Pete hasn't had a consequential relationship since MJ and their baby got Sataned

Consensus rules!

Quesada I think is basically a non factor. Him and his creative committee of buffons were so bad Disney reorganized the entire company to give them zero say over the important part: the movies.

Also, it is a when. Because comics are circular and eventually they will be desperate enough.
    Last edited by MisterC; 01-14-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Problem with Jurgens is that he is (was?) vehemently against the marriage, since in the Clone Saga it's all but accepted he's the one who convinced the Spider-Man editor to undo the switcheroo as soon as possible, but that was still only step one; and Peter needed to be single ASAP as well.

Either way, that was a long while ago and he's definitely mellowed out on Ben, so I don't doubt he might as well accept the marriage now.

I can agree with this, because if people recall, Spencer took over Amazing Spider-Man after a charitably described as "controversial" event with Secret Empire and with a very common (and merited, I'd say) criticism he was putting more focus on politics on the stories than anything else. Then his Spidey run was more about sprawling the lore with a lot of stuff decades apart, and hinting at OMD made a whole lot of people (me not included, but that's neither here nor there) hyped for his run.
    It doesn't matter if he is against the marriage. He is very good. I can't think of one writer that has been on Spider-man over the last 15 years that is half as good as him. He is one of the few currently working writers I would trust to fix Marvel's flagship character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I'm so glad we 100000% agree. Marvel should get over OMD and just do an editors note in a random issue "Hey, Pete's married because those stories were stupid - Akira Yoshida" and we move on because Pete hasn't had a consequential relationship since MJ and their baby got Sataned

Consensus rules!

Quesada I think is basically a non factor. Him and his creative committee of buffons were so bad Disney reorganized the entire company to give them zero say over the important part: the movies.

Also, it is a when. Because comics are circular and eventually they will be desperate enough.
    That's a great idea! Then Peter and MJ can just get divorced like normal people!!!

Dunno who should write it (but I'd hope their either someone who wants it to happen or someone professional enough make it a good as possible even if they're not a fan personally). As far as how it should happen, I think the best bet would be to have Peter and MJ learn what happened (whether that be them getting back their memories of the original timeline or just simply being made aware of it) and choosing to move forward) or get together again even if they never learn the timeline change; either way, it doesn't erase the stories in between like the original OMD did. While continuity is, at the end of the day, very optional and flexible in comics, I think accepting what happened and building off of it is better than trying to retroactively change the past stories to be something else.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

If I was being 100% honest... Al Ewing. Al would find a way to bring it back to classic era Spider-Man while also reframing and in many ways... saving One More Day as a concept. However, I feel Ewing mostly plays with the larger Marvel Universe because he just enjoys doing so, not out of any way to fix what's broken.

Hickman would certainly have an interesting way to fix it, but I feel it may go over a lot of People's heads. Saying that, I don't think Hickman suits Spider-Man at all that well, you want to give him someone like Captain America or even Iron Man.

The bold choice would be JMS, allowing him the chance to undo the story he hated doing. I guess that would be the poetic choice.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Nobody cares about One More Day outside a very small number of obsessives who cannot let it go. I can't believe there are still people out there who can't get over this. It's never going to be reversed. Accept that. Grow up.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but ffs, you're the guys comic fans make fun of let alone non-comic fans who already see us as obsessive, childish geeks.

The interesting question is will Pete and MJ ever be allowed to be happy and stable together again, and will they eventually marry?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Nobody cares about One More Day outside a very small number of obsessives who cannot let it go. I can't believe there are still people out there who can't get over this. It's never going to be reversed. Accept that. Grow up.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but ffs, you're the guys comic fans make fun of let alone non-comic fans who already see us as obsessive, childish geeks.
    Maybe we should all let people be fans in their only so long as they're not hurting other people.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    The interesting question is will Pete and MJ ever be allowed to be happy and stable together again, and will they eventually marry?
    Frankly, I think them getting married again could go either way (both big comics publishers seem to not like having married characters and marriages that do happen tend to be temporary status quos). That said, I think MJ is still cemented as the definitive Spider-Man love interest and I don't think that's ever going to change. So, I think while the odds of the publishing cycle will probably have them be on and off are high (that how all these things work, between years of publication and different writers with different ideas), I think she's going to remain the "one true love" character (or the Lois Lane to Peter's Superman, if that makes more sense) for the rest of the franchise's lifespan.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Rebooting OMD away would make Marvel closer and closer to becoming the lack of continuity disaster that we like to call "DC", and I don't want that to happen, specially since OMD itself was already a small scale Crisis, solving a Crisis with another one is terrible lol.

So yeah, **** any undoing of OMD, at best, have the characters recognize it happened then move on, but that's probably not happening either, just bury it and pretend it didn't happen, like Avengers fans pretend Avengers#200 didn't happen, or how Magneto fans pretend Xorneto didn't happen, stuff like that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I feel like the problem is that even if the marriage was restored, things would just get reset somehow.. somewhere again. Maybe by that point, we'll get a full-on comic reboot or something crazy.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

The best way would to at least let Peter and MJ remember they made the deal in the first place, nothing has to change, they just need to remember. That itself would cleanup the continuity a lot, and Peter and MJ could decide if they want to get married again now.

I would agree with you that OMD should not be retconned, but simply ignored, but there is one problem. Peter and Mary Jane erased their daughter from the timeline. I could be wrong, but Spencer confirmed in ASM #74 that Mayday survived the original timeline, Norman didn't kill her. But since Mary Jane does not want to have children without getting married ("thank you" Quesada), she is no more. If I were Marvel, I would bring marriage and Mayday back, but all the events of BND, Big Time, Superior, Worldwide, The Kindred Saga, Beyond and others remained unchanged. Mayday would have been in Europe all these years. Remember how Molecule Man helped Miles, his family and friends? You can do the same here.
    Last edited by Kanos; 01-15-2022 at 10:02 PM.