Amazing Member

Default Is Revival any good?

Thinking about picking up the two deluxe editions of Revival.

Is the comic any good. Im not a fan of walking dead or any zombie type comic but understand this is not a zombie story. Is it too slow and boring?

Id suggest saving your money. Its an ok comic, kinda slow IMO.
    There are better comics out there.

Depends on your tastes! It's not really a zombie story since the dead come back to life as pretty much functionally human. I'd classify it more as a supernatural/detective kinda thing. That said, the story has been unfolding VERY slowly. We're about 2 years in I think and still not even close to knowing what caused the dead to not-die in this little town. Instead the plot slowly meanders and situations slowly deteriorate. Like there's an arc where a 'reviver' breaks through the quarantaine zone to cause trouble elsewhere, there's been an arc about people smuggling bodyparts of revivers out of the town for profit, things like that.

Sometimes it gets kinda frustrating to move at such a slow pace (think it's meant to run for 50 issues? Could be wrong!), but every time I buy a new trade it draws me back in. There are characters you can root for, stakes are raised really well and overall I find it VERY consistent. Few issues touch that 'I love it' zone for me like say Saga does, but there aren't any either which feel subpar. Definitely reads better in the trade format and it's kind of understated but overall very impressive, I find. I've also tried kiiiinda similar series like Walking Dead (too bleak and frankly dull for me) and Rachel Rising (this I liked better) but stuck with neither of those, whereas Revival has.

Suggestion: are you on ComiXology? I'm fairly sure all the first Image issues are free right? Perhaps download that, see if you like the art and voices of the characters. Just saying, because I wouldn't splurge on 2 deluxe hardcovers right away if you're not even sure you'll like it. But yeah, I'd recommend it; solid comics. Not worldchanging perhaps, but still pretty great.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Personally, I'm enjoying the heck out of this series. One of my favorites.

I plan on getting the trades. I like Mr. Seeley's writing. I've heard nothing but good things about the series.

Amazing Member

If you're willing to do a little heavy-lifting keeping up with the multiple plot threads, yes, you get rewarded BIG TIME.

Revival is one of the best titles out there. After reading the latest issue, I think it might just topple Saga from its number 2 spot. And I love Saga.
    Last edited by Trilipush; 09-01-2014 at 08:39 PM.

It definitely does depend on your taste. I was really psyched to read it at first, but it fizzled out really quickly for me and I stopped reading about four or so issues in. I'd definitely check out a cheap trade and see how that sits with you. Best of luck to ya.