Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Default Do you think DC has a 5 year plan?

DC has been kinda a mess the last few years because of getting bought and the changes in management. Do you personally feel that anyone high up at DC has a long term plan for the company now or are they still just winging it throwing anything and everything at the wall hoping something will click with fans? If they don't have a long term or even a short term plan how much longer do you think they can keep going like they are before the big bosses clean house and just call for a hard reset on everything?

Extraordinary Member

The head honcho at Discovery loves those things, so maybe. To me it seems as if they simply throw stuff at the wall, but maybe now they're going to do it in five year increments.

No, I love DC comics. But no.

And not because they don't/ can't plan, its because they cannot predict the unpredictability of stories and events that will come together.

Like take a step back and objectively look at something like Flashpoint Beyond. That is a comic acting as a sequel to a 2011 story, and in this sequel we are following Batman trying to save his dad, who is also Batman, by robbing from a group of time travelers for a watch belonging to Doctor Manhattan from freaking 1985's the Watchmen who rewrote DC continuity on a whim, and all of that leading into a Justice Society series and a Stargirl mini. And that's not even DC's big plans, that's a side thing. The big story is how a character also from 1985's Crisis is trying to revive a multiverse and then later a Satan trying to kill Batman which leads to a story that will apparently hinge on a relatively new character named Monkey Prince.

Comics are weird and unpredictable with strange stories coming together all at once. So yeah, my answer is no
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It’s pretty clear that they don’t. The inconsistencies in Doomsday Clock/Death Metal, then Flashpoint Beyond/Dark Crisis.
    And things that were supposed to matter like the Totality being almost completely ignored…
    They’re still winging it. At best they have a six month plan, but probably poor communication between departments.

Astonishing Member

I doubt it. And if they did, DC is likely to change things early or mid course.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Currently I think 2 writers have a 2 year plan
    That's Williamson and Taylor
    Taylor may have a 3 years plan but the third year only just about to launch so it maybe just another year plan that he planned this year
    I don't know about Williamson

In the past Snyder and King would be the one who has the longest years planned after Morrison and Johns, between 3-5 years
    Geoff Johns seem to be the one to have a 5 year plan with a lot of adjustments, but it's been shortened to 1 year plan with a lot of delays and distractions ^^
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-16-2022 at 01:10 PM.

The comics? No idea, but it is what it is?

The movies? No, I don't think anyone at WBD has a clue right now.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I doubt DC has a 5 month plan.

I think any long-term planning went out the window when DiDio left.

He may not have always had good plans, but he almost always had stuff at least mapped out for the next 1-2 years minimum.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Who does?

Even Marvel is at best 6-12 months ahead on certain projects (a very small number). They had Hickman take a year or so to develop some big plan for the X-Men franchise, and that lasted about half a year from when the books started getting published before everyone could see things starting to veer off-course.

They seem to operate with a 3 - 6 month plan.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would be surprised if Discovery still owns DC in five years.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I would be surprised if Discovery still owns DC in five years.
    I think everybody would be. Hard to have a years-long plan when the company keeps getting sold to one mega-corporation after another.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    They seem to operate with a 3 - 6 month plan.
    Perhaps a 6-month plan that abruptly changes after 3 months...

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I definitely don’t think they have a 5 year plan, but at least since infinite frontier era they are planning 1-2 years ahead which is..something. Like Williamson had plans for his infinite frontier/justice league incarnate/dark crisis trilogy since fall 2020 and said for the most part, it’s stayed the same. Lazarus Planet was also said by a editor to be in the work for years, so clearly there is some semblance of a plan happening even if we aren’t aware of how all these puzzle pieces fit together.