Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Johns did say he's focusing on time, and Flashpoint Beyond being an alternate time instead of alternate earth fits better because Flashpoint is an alternate timeline to began with. The difference is, instead of the branch being destroyed when history is reset back to Post Crisis, it is allowed to live on as one of the branches of alternate timelines.

Doomsday Clock itself happened within an alternate time of Rebirth, since the main timeline doesn't acknowledge it happening, until they reconnected in Flash Forward and Death Metal.

No opinion on Convergence yet. Still confused about that part since we're talking about events and maybe lore that may no longer applies, for example, the fact that Brainiac can collect part of Flashpoint and then Thomas Wayne died protecting New 52 Earth-2 Dick Grayson, but later he's still alive when Barry and Bruce went back in time to Flashpoint right before its collapsed. Like, was Brainiac able to collect Flashpoint because of Manhattan or because in the previous lore, the alternate earths and time were just there, they're not yet part of the single long timeline that's established in Death Metal?

Are those two separate lores, the convergence lore replaced by Manhattan lore, or are they using the same lore now , therefore both events and both Thomas Waynes become an alternate branching timelines?

Then there's Convergence earths itself. Initially Jon came from there. The Spectre remembers this. But the current Jon is born in Earth-0 as part of the new evolved history. Does this mean baby Convergence Jon is still out there in Convergence Earth as an alternate earth, as part of the archived Multiverse of Earth-52 in the Metaverse, or did he and all of Convergence Earths are gone from the current space, only existing in an alternate timeline?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-06-2022 at 03:53 PM.

With a very few rare exception, every city that showed up in convergence came from somewhere other than the orrery of worlds; the N52 E2 heroes were pretty close to being the only ones. And Telos described the cities as having come from “dead timelines”. That's why I classify it as a hyper-time event.

There are a number of temporal “retcons” throughout DC's history beyond just the big events. Way back in the silver age, for example, there was a League/Society crossover where am devil Johnny Thunder rewrote history so that a bunch of crooks gained the powers of the Justice League; I think that ended up getting classified as Earth A. In the post crisis dcu, as part of the five year gap legion of superheroes, there was a single issue that had at least two radical timeline reboots within it, before restoring the timeline to something approximating where it started. New 52 had one when a new writer took over the Stormwatch title. And then there was DC Rebirth, which was not itself a major retcon, but rather a series of small retcons, followed by Superman reborn, Doomsday Clock, and Death Metal.

And yes, I figure that each of these events spawned a separate timeline. Whether or not any given timeline survived, and whether or not a dead timeline can be revived, are currently unanswered questions. Timelines can definitely be born; and one of the few things that I liked about Death Metal was that it confirmed that timelines can both die and be reborn. That makes hyper time a very dynamic thing, always changing; and at the same time, nothing can truly be eliminated from it: any “dead” timeline can be restored.

And yes, I do believe that that means that the “Convergence Earth” Jon Kent could still be out there — though because timelines can die, that's not guaranteed.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    With a very few rare exception, every city that showed up in convergence came from somewhere other than the orrery of worlds; the N52 E2 heroes were pretty close to being the only ones..
    I know that. What I meant was, are we now looking at Convergence using the new rule that the old continuities are all in a single main timeline, or are we looking at Convergence using the rule of the universe at the time of publication? Because if the rules are different, the list of options I consider are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    And Telos described the cities as having come from “dead timelines”. That's why I classify it as a hyper-time event.
    Did he say it's dead timelines referring to the different branches of Hypertime (parallel running at the same time as the main branch, where for example, Post Crisis is still going alongside New 52), or he said dead timelines because they're all from the past, no longer existing even as an alternate timeline?

The specifics haven't been revealed yet. But it is something that I anticipate will be revealed in this series.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No opinion on Convergence yet. Still confused about that part since we're talking about events and maybe lore that may no longer applies, for example, the fact that Brainiac can collect part of Flashpoint and then Thomas Wayne died protecting New 52 Earth-2 Dick Grayson, but later he's still alive when Barry and Bruce went back in time to Flashpoint right before its collapsed. Like, was Brainiac able to collect Flashpoint because of Manhattan or because in the previous lore, the alternate earths and time were just there, they're not yet part of the single long timeline that's established in Death Metal?
    Wasn't it E2 Thomas Wayne that died and not Flashpoint Thomas Wayne?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yes there were two separate Thomas Wayne Batmen (Flashpoint and E2).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes there were two separate Thomas Wayne Batmen (Flashpoint and E2).
    Only one of them killed Alfred though...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Only one of them killed Alfred though...
    Did you really have to remind us of that?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Oh. Wait. I don't remember. Flashpoint Thomas Wayne was helping Lois give birth. Well that's less problem then.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh. Wait. I don't remember. Flashpoint Thomas Wayne was helping Lois give birth. Well that's less problem then.
    Correct. It was the N52 E2 Thomas Wayne Batman who ended up dying there, as part of the setup for Earth 2 Society.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Flashpoint Beyond #2 cover

Maybe the covers will connect to form a mural.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post

Interesting. The first one was a reference to Flashpoint/new 52 but this is a reference to Infinite Crisis, as i the Flash is running back in time.
    By that logic, issue 3 should be Zero Hour. (By Jurgens, is my bet)

I think only Flash is the only connecting element. The rest is more set apart.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

So much 2000's nostalgia.

I take it Reis doesn't like Kyle's dog collar.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-28-2022 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I take it Reis doesn't like Kyle's dog collar.
    Who did, to be honest...