Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This is a terrible idea. They should be trying to extract and bin Johns’ “additions” from the fabric of DC, not letting him add more

Disregarding the accusations, he was the guys who was supposed to be overseeing the DCEU, and it caught fire on his watch. He should be memory holed for that alone

He never had the kind of power to be a true overseer of the DCEU, he was put in charge of a runaway train that was going nowhere and was naturally the fall guy when that train crashed and burned. I'm not saying he is entirely blameless but there was little he could do given the circumstances. But his name still sells so as long as that continues to be the case he will still get the occasional DC work.

Really rough week for Snyder stans between learning the Flash is erasing the Snyderverse and now Johns is back at DC.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    This is a terrible idea. They should be trying to extract and bin Johns’ “additions” from the fabric of DC, not letting him add more

Disregarding the accusations, he was the guys who was supposed to be overseeing the DCEU, and it caught fire on his watch. He should be memory holed for that alone
    He's still successful in terms of comics and TV adaptions...film too if we count Aquaman and Shazam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Really rough week for Snyder stans between learning the Flash is erasing the Snyderverse and now Johns is back at DC.
    I guess Ray Fisher has something to talk about at least.

Probably just to tie in with the movie, but man it'd be nice if this is a tacit admission that Infinite Frontier blows.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think we all know what this means! Return of the New 52, y'all! Ow! Ow! Stop hitting me!
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Oh dear heavens! Why?

Like, people get that Flashpoint wasn't all that good, right. It's a story that's basically able to be summed up as "The Flash can't fix the past without screwing things up, but Thawne can do whatever he wants in the timeline because we said so". Plus, Batman tears up because he got a note from his dad. I feel like people just latch onto this story because they want the modern incarnation of Barry Allen to have some kind of landmark story and he really just doesn't.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    A few uncharitable knee-jerk thoughts:

2) Is this a different Flashpoint Thomas Wayne than the one currently tromping around with Justice Incarnate, or is one leading into the other?

The article says it's a direct sequel so I assume it's a different Thomas.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's still successful in terms of comics and TV adaptions...film too if we count Aquaman and Shazam.
    I don’t think it’s exactly unnoticed that he took the time while CCO to stuff the production schedule with stuff that would use his runs/stuff he’d get a credit for

Edit:
    At this stage he’s more trouble than he’s worth, so ditch him and start de-emphasising his stuff
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 01-14-2022 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Oh dear heavens! Why?

Like, people get that Flashpoint wasn't all that good, right. It's a story that's basically able to be summed up as "The Flash can't fix the past without screwing things up, but Thawne can do whatever he wants in the timeline because we said so". Plus, Batman tears up because he got a note from his dad. I feel like people just latch onto this story because they want the modern incarnation of Barry Allen to have some kind of landmark story and he really just doesn't.
    I wonder how much people want to read about an intentionally messed up and dark DCU that literally blew itself up...but then I remember the Injustice universe.

(I think Williamson gave Barry some landmark stories).
    I don’t think it’s exactly unnoticed that he took the time while CCO to stuff the production schedule with stuff that would use his runs/stuff he’d get a credit for
    Is that really how it works or just the most negative way to look at it?

a lot of people have already figured that this is being done to build hype and get a sales bump from the Flash movie. Suicide Squad and now Peacemaker were pushed pretty hard when the respective Suicide Squad flicks came out, so if these trends continue there's a very good chance DC will launch a JSA project before the Black Adam movie premieres.

Astonishing Member

What material gets movies is way above his pay grade. Johns as CCO was mostly working with other stakeholder on lower tier tie-ins like cartoons (ex. YJ), tv shows (ex. Arrow/Flash) or video games. His stuff gets adapted because he's the most influential DC writer of the 2000s era. Johns and his ideas endures because Didio era DC aside from the Batbooks was just bad at revitalizing properties. For example, they tried to revamp Aquaman with Bunn post-Johns and that utterly failed. His ideas being responsible for the Aquaman and Shazam movies have certainly helped him stay in WB's good graces.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-14-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Flashpoint wasn't that well regarded to begin with, even barring the fact that it jumpstarted the controversial to say the least, New Fifty Two.

Without the art by Andy Kubert and Geoff Johns being only one of three writers assigned to the project, this seems like a very hard sell.

But if Eduardo Risso draws the entire event and not just the zero issue, I'm on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    a lot of people have already figured that this is being done to build hype and get a sales bump from the Flash movie. Suicide Squad and now Peacemaker were pushed pretty hard when the respective Suicide Squad flicks came out, so if these trends continue there's a very good chance DC will launch a JSA project before the Black Adam movie premieres.
    Even though oddly enough The Flash movie isn't going to be that direct an adaption of Flashpoint, especially compared to the animated adaption.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even though oddly enough The Flash movie isn't going to be that direct an adaption of Flashpoint, especially compared to the animated adaption.
    It’s apparently a very similar plot as they just reworked the Flashpoint movie script. Keaton’s Batman in place of Thomas Wayne and Calle’s Supergirl in place of tortured Kal El. Though I’m guessing the other Barry will turn out to be the villain instead of Thawne.