Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I mean obviously I am ecstatic to see that “X-Men ‘92” is coming back out in ANY form, but I was hoping it was going to be a relaunch of the series as an on-going title rather than just 5 issues. Maybe they are just testing the waters with this mini-series first to see if there is still enough demand for a full relaunch?! I hope it does well enough to make that a reality. I still fully believe that there was immense potential in the “X-Men ‘92” series, but that they went about it the wrong way. I don’t want FORCED “campiness, comedy and cameos”! I don’t need to see sharks with lasers on their heads or guns being twice the size of the characters holding them or characters covered in EXTREME spikes. I just want to see all new stories being told using the most iconic version of the teams and characters. Anyway, I never read the whole “House Of X” story originally, so this will be like an all new story for me regardless.

As a side note with this mini-series and the upcoming “X-Men ‘97” series on Disney+, I really hope this will FINALLY encourage Marvel to release all 3 seasons of their “X-Men Adventures” series in TPB format. They collected the much inferior/inexplicably “Rogue-less” spin-off series “Adventures Of The X-Men” into TPBs, but they won’t do the original series?! It doesn’t make any sense. I also would be thrilled to see them release a One-Shot TPB that collected the 6 Pizza Hut and 4 Hardee’s exclusive mini-comics in it.

As much as I would love to have the Pizza Hut and Hardee’s collected in trade, it will never happen.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    As much as I would love to have the Pizza Hut and Hardee’s collected in trade, it will never happen.
    True, although to be fair I never thought (another) “X-Men ‘92” nor “X-Men ‘97” could ever happen either, yet here we are! But yea, I understand what you are saying. It would likely be a copyrighting nightmare.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Spectacular Member

I mean obviously I am ecstatic to see that “X-Men ‘92” is coming back out in ANY form, but I was hoping it was going to be a relaunch of the series as an on-going title rather than just 5 issues. Maybe they are just testing the waters with this mini-series first to see if there is still enough demand for a full relaunch?! I hope it does well enough to make that a reality. I still fully believe that there was immense potential in the “X-Men ‘92” series, but that they went about it the wrong way. I don’t want FORCED “campiness, comedy and cameos”! I don’t need to see sharks with lasers on their heads or guns being twice the size of the characters holding them or characters covered in EXTREME spikes. I just want to see all new stories being told using the most iconic version of the teams and characters. Anyway, I never read the whole “House Of X” story originally, so this will be like an all new story for me regardless.

As a side note with this mini-series and the upcoming “X-Men ‘97” series on Disney+, I really hope this will FINALLY encourage Marvel to release all 3 seasons of their “X-Men Adventures” series in TPB format. They collected the much inferior/inexplicably “Rogue-less” spin-off series “Adventures Of The X-Men” into TPBs, but they won’t do the original series?! It doesn’t make any sense. I also would be thrilled to see them release a One-Shot TPB that collected the 6 Pizza Hut and 4 Hardee’s exclusive mini-comics in it.
    Some of the things you didn't like are the reasons I enjoyed it because it's prepared to poke fun of some of the artists of that time. When it comes to the humour I can totally understand why people might not like this but for me the very 1st issue put a huge smile on my face when Wolverine kept coming out with those one liners.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Frankly I thought this is where X-Men 97 was going but clearly that's not the case.
    I can see that adapting arcs from the 2000s and 2010s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Will this mean that Rogue, Jubilee and Gambit will actually have a role to play? If so then it could be fun.
    Well, all three ended up on Excalibur (though Rogue got yanked when X-Men relaunched).
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I wonder how they’ll do it. There were a lot less mutants in 1992… if they start using ones created later, I know it’ll take me out of the story…
    The previous X-Men 92 comic used a Generation X team which consisted of members from Generation X (fair enough) and X-Statix (who debuted in 2001 as X-Force).

They also added Bishop and Psylocke as main team members.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Houseofhick View Post
    Some of the things you didn't like are the reasons I enjoyed it because it's prepared to poke fun of some of the artists of that time. When it comes to the humour I can totally understand why people might not like this but for me the very 1st issue put a huge smile on my face when Wolverine kept coming out with those one liners.
    I think that is where my disconnect comes from. At their peak, I never found anything about the 90s X-Men as “silly”, “funny” or worth mocking. I suppose some of the narrations the books used to have where they would describe the scenes or characters in them could be cringe from time to time (although honestly, I sometimes miss those narrations), but all I saw on every page was serious awesomeness! I didn’t roll my eyes or think “that is so campy”. In “X-Men ‘92” I felt like the writers were seeing comedy in something I took totally straightforward and serious. When I saw sharks with lasers on their heads, that is one of the last things I ever would have expected from a 90s X-Men book or episode. It felt completely alien to me because it was something so stupid in a world that I never saw much as being “ridiculous”.
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 01-20-2022 at 03:12 PM.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

https://twitter.com/DavidTalaski/sta...81750527918085

David Talaski's variant for X-MEN ‘92: HOUSE OF XCII #1 !!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    https://twitter.com/DavidTalaski/sta...81750527918085

David Talaski's variant for X-MEN ‘92: HOUSE OF XCII #1 !!

Wow! I love that cover! I hope the content inside is as promising as the variant cover is (although now that I see myself type that, I suddenly realize how stupid a hope that is since the variant covers always portray something FAR better than what appears in the actual book). That’s why I usually avoid variant covers. Too often they are just prime examples of “false advertising”.

Spectacular Member

I think that is where my disconnect comes from. At their peak, I never found anything about the 90s X-Men as “silly”, “funny” or worth mocking. I suppose some of the narrations the books used to have where they would describe the scenes or characters in them could be cringe from time to time (although honestly, I sometimes miss those narrations), but all I saw on every page was serious awesomeness! I didn’t roll my eyes or think “that is so campy”. In “X-Men ‘92” I felt like the writers were seeing comedy in something I took totally straightforward and serious. When I saw sharks with lasers on their heads, that is one of the last things I ever would have expected from a 90s X-Men book or episode. It felt completely alien to me because it was something so stupid in a world that I never saw much as being “ridiculous”.
    Did you not like X-Factor back in the 90's? The reason I ask is because it's both silly and funny at the same time.
    What do you think about the character Shark Girl? She got that unfortunate nickname that's just Not funny in any shape or form, so Personally I prefer the sharks with the lasers on their head. If CC can get away with leprechauns back in Uncanny X-men #103 then I'm willing to run with these sharks.
    You didn't find the book funny and yet I did and to be honest I found it refreshing to read a comic that was actually a fun read and kid friendly.
    I have rolled my eyes at far worse things than this and most of it is now canon in the 616 universe. I even stopped reading the X-Men for 19 years because of it. If I don't like it then I don't buy it. It's not like there's not an X-Men Legends or X-MEN 97 for others to sink their teeth into.
    I don't know if I am supposed to laugh at the origin of Cassandra Nova in the 616 universe but the 92 version didn't make me laugh and actually made more sense ............ The irony of it!

Did you not like X-Factor back in the 90's? The reason I ask is because it's both silly and funny at the same time.
    What do you think about the character Shark Girl? She got that unfortunate nickname that's just Not funny in any shape or form, so Personally I prefer the sharks with the lasers on their head. If CC can get away with leprechauns back in Uncanny X-men #103 then I'm willing to run with these sharks.
    You didn't find the book funny and yet I did and to be honest I found it refreshing to read a comic that was actually a fun read and kid friendly.
    I have rolled my eyes at far worse things than this and most of it is now canon in the 616 universe. I even stopped reading the X-Men for 19 years because of it. If I don't like it then I don't buy it. It's not like there's not an X-Men Legends or X-MEN 97 for others to sink their teeth into.
    I don't know if I am supposed to laugh at the origin of Cassandra Nova in the 616 universe but the 92 version didn't make me laugh and actually made more sense ............ The irony of it!
    Well I definitely tried to connect “X-Men ‘92” with “X-Men: The Animated Series” but apart from a Mojo episode (or the episode “Jubilee’s Fairytale Theatre” which, unsurprisingly, is my least favorite episode of the entire series) I didn’t see anything in that series that would have ever showed sharks with lasers. That sounds like something that only a villain like Mojo or Arcade could have pulled off). The concert with The Toadies I felt was silly as well, since we couldn’t hear the music and they spent like two or three issues on that. I just felt like they tried to do too much. My favorite issue of the on-going was #5 because it was the only time things slowed down enough to let us focus on just Cyclops and Jean. Otherwise, every character had to go on every mission and it felt more like they were all background characters.

Trust me, I still loved “X-Men ‘92” and would be thrilled to see it return as an ongoing series. But I really think that the overall tone of forced “Remember this from the 90s?!” “Remember these guys?! They only appeared in one frame in issue #279 but we remember!” type stuff, along with just the overall “goofiness” of the series didn’t sit well with several fans. Again, apart from Mojo episodes or the fairytale episode (maaaaybe “Have Yourself A Morlock Little X-Mas”….which I still love) I don’t recall anything else from the series as striking me as “goofy” or “silly”. I did like what they did with Cassandra Nova in the mini-series, but Wolverine sobbing and blowing roses out of his claw ports I found out-of-character and then the “sanitized” white uniforms were ridiculous too. I am just eager to see if this upcoming mini will capture the more serious 90s X-Men as I honestly saw them.

And yea I read some X-Factor, but those were different characters than the ones I spent every Saturday morning with so with them being goofballs didn’t strike me as ever seeming “out-of-character” or forced.

Spectacular Member

Well I definitely tried to connect “X-Men ‘92” with “X-Men: The Animated Series” but apart from a Mojo episode (or the episode “Jubilee’s Fairytale Theatre” which, unsurprisingly, is my least favorite episode of the entire series) I didn’t see anything in that series that would have ever showed sharks with lasers. That sounds like something that only a villain like Mojo or Arcade could have pulled off). The concert with The Toadies I felt was silly as well, since we couldn’t hear the music and they spent like two or three issues on that. I just felt like they tried to do too much. My favorite issue of the on-going was #5 because it was the only time things slowed down enough to let us focus on just Cyclops and Jean. Otherwise, every character had to go on every mission and it felt more like they were all background characters.

Trust me, I still loved “X-Men ‘92” and would be thrilled to see it return as an ongoing series. But I really think that the overall tone of forced “Remember this from the 90s?!” “Remember these guys?! They only appeared in one frame in issue #279 but we remember!” type stuff, along with just the overall “goofiness” of the series didn’t sit well with several fans. Again, apart from Mojo episodes or the fairytale episode (maaaaybe “Have Yourself A Morlock Little X-Mas”….which I still love) I don’t recall anything else from the series as striking me as “goofy” or “silly”. I did like what they did with Cassandra Nova in the mini-series, but Wolverine sobbing and blowing roses out of his claw ports I found out-of-character and then the “sanitized” white uniforms were ridiculous too. I am just eager to see if this upcoming mini will capture the more serious 90s X-Men as I honestly saw them.

And yea I read some X-Factor, but those were different characters than the ones I spent every Saturday morning with so with them being goofballs didn’t strike me as ever seeming “out-of-character” or forced.
    It didn't even follow on from how the animated series ended so right from the start I went into this knowing it was going to be different. It still had the characters and uniforms from the 90's but this was certainly going to be it's own thing. The very 1st issue with those over the top big guns, one liners or deleted speech bubbles were just a few of the reasons why I really liked it. Was it goofy and silly? Absolutely. but I loved it. I would love to know what you found campy about this? I suppose it depends on how you and I would define campy.
    I can remember fans being sold on the idea that Claremont was coming back to continue his iconic run and finally tell the story he had planned. That's not what the fans got but I personally enjoyed it having read it years later. I was reading the characters I love in a style of writing I grew up on and it didn't matter what he was doing with these characters because in my opinion he had earned the right to do what he wanted. His writing might not be for everyone but you can tell he really cares and loves these characters through his writing and X-Men Forever was just it's own thing in it's own universe........... Doesn't effect the 616 universe in any way.
    I think the OOC gets used quite a bit on this forum so it's lucky for us this isn't the 616 universe if you found anything OOC.............. Although I do find it hard to believe anyone in this 92 universe can be OOC when these 18 issues are all we have to go on.
    You found the X-Factor characters to be different to the comic???? If anything the same characters in the same uniforms had a whole issue trying to get a mayo jar open in the 616 universe. Some might find the issue funny and others might not but I loved the humour in that issue just like I love the humour in this series.
    You find the “sanitized” white uniforms ridiculous yet I find Chuck and Nova fighting it out in womb ridiculous.... That is now canon to the 616 universe.
    I don't want to turn this into a rant about Morrison but his vision completely turned me off the X-Men for 19 years after years and tears of being invested in the lives of these characters. If you don't like the 92 universe then that's fine because you have given reasons why you don't like it. I love it and the fact it shows that you really don't have to do a ridiculous Cassandra Nova origin is just an added bonus for me.
    Last edited by Houseofhick; 01-22-2022 at 05:21 PM.

It didn't even follow on from how the animated series ended so right from the start I went into this knowing it was going to be different. It still had the characters and uniforms from the 90's but this was certainly going to be it's own thing. The very 1st issue with those over the top big guns, one liners or deleted speech bubbles were just a few of the reasons why I really liked it. Was it goofy and silly? Absolutely. but I loved it. I would love to know what you found campy about this? I suppose it depends on how you and I would define campy.
    I can remember fans being sold on the idea that Claremont was coming back to continue his iconic run and finally tell the story he had planned. That's not what the fans got but I personally enjoyed it having read it years later. I was reading the characters I love in a style of writing I grew up on and it didn't matter what he was doing with these characters because in my opinion he had earned the right to do what he wanted. His writing might not be for everyone but you can tell he really cares and loves these characters through his writing and X-Men Forever was just it's own thing in it's own universe........... Doesn't effect the 616 universe in any way.
    I think the OOC gets used quite a bit on this forum so it's lucky for us this isn't the 616 universe if you found anything OOC.............. Although I do find it hard to believe anyone in this 92 universe can be OOC when these 18 issues are all we have to go on.
    You found the X-Factor characters to be different to the comic???? If anything the same characters in the same uniforms had a whole issue trying to get a mayo jar open in the 616 universe. Some might find the issue funny and others might not but I loved the humour in that issue just like I love the humour in this series.
    You find the “sanitized” white uniforms ridiculous yet I find Chuck and Nova fighting it out in womb ridiculous.... That is now canon to the 616 universe.
    I don't want to turn this into a rant about Morrison but his vision completely turned me off the X-Men for 19 years after years and tears of being invested in the lives of these characters. If you don't like the 92 universe then that's fine because you have given reasons why you don't like it. I love it and the fact that it shows you really don't have to do a ridiculous Cassandra Nova origin is just an added bonus for me.
    I’ve seen a lot more silly hokey stories in 616 titles over the last few years. I didn’t find X-Men ‘92 silly, not sure why you do. I absolutely enjoy the throwback to the 90’s. This cliche of the 90’s being the worst decade has got to end eventually. So many new readers became x fans in the 90’s and are still contributing, buying, and enjoying the books myself included.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    I’ve seen a lot more silly hokey stories in 616 titles over the last few years. I didn’t find X-Men ‘92 silly, not sure why you do. I absolutely enjoy the throwback to the 90’s. This cliche of the 90’s being the worst decade has got to end eventually. So many new readers became x fans in the 90’s and are still contributing, buying, and enjoying the books myself included.
    Can you tell me where I have bashed either X-Men 92 or the 90's 616 universe?
    Is it because I find the humour silly? I can give some examples if you'd like?
    Last edited by Houseofhick; 01-22-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Will this mean that Rogue, Jubilee and Gambit will actually have a role to play? If so then it could be fun.
    Please this . Bravo

Has anyone heard about other x-teams; new mutants, hellions, etc making an appearance in ‘92 animation style?

Quote Originally Posted by Dvaon616 View Post
    Has anyone heard about other x-teams; new mutants, hellions, etc making an appearance in ‘92 animation style?
    Yeah in 1992
    GrindrStone(D)