View Poll Results: What are your feelings towards the "Diana as God(dess) of War"?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great period! Diana should be God of War all over again!

    3 11.11%
  • Nice idea, but could have been done better. Bring it back but do it differently.

    3 11.11%
  • It was a good idea, but it has been explored enough and doesn't need to come back.

    7 25.93%
  • Terrible idea from the get-go. Forget it ever happened and move on.

    14 51.85%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 74
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member Primal Slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    Its one of those storylines that could be interesting to explore as Diana turning into the opposite of what she is about brings plenty of storylines for her. Makes for a good arc in a tv/animated series.

  2. #17
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Why does Azzarello keep getting Wonder Woman gigs? Based on this and other Diana stuff he is done, he seems to be the typical "badassery"-loving fanboy that has zero clue about who Diana is or what her mission stands for.
    He was also heavily criticized for his Batgirl in the Killing Joke DCAU film. Dude can't write women.

    I'm not sure why he still gets work either after he called someone who criticized him a "pussy".

  3. #18
    Beyond Good. Beyond Evil. Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Occupied Klendathu
    Posts
    10,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    He was also heavily criticized for his Batgirl in the Killing Joke DCAU film. Dude can't write women.

    I'm not sure why he still gets work either after he called someone who criticized him a "pussy".
    Think he did a Birds of Prey thing too back when the movie came out that didn't go over well either.

  4. #19
    Fishy Member I'm a Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Ocean
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    I remember thinking at the time it might be cool, but all that happened was it made her cry blood sometimes and get a cool helmet but it looked bad on Wonder Woman.

    And there was that one story arc where the Goddess of peace became the Goddess of war because Diana refused to start wars. Interesting story premise but the execution was meh.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

  5. #20
    Incredible Member HestiasHearth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Themyscira
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    He was also heavily criticized for his Batgirl in the Killing Joke DCAU film. Dude can't write women.

    I'm not sure why he still gets work either after he called someone who criticized him a "pussy".
    WTF
    That is certainly as despicably misogynistic as fanboys get.
    Never liked his writing to begin with, but this makes me despise the human being he is as well.

  6. #21
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,892

    Default

    What's more badass, than Diana, as God of War? Diana, friend of Etta, Mala, Steve, Desira, Ching and Sigfried - a supporting cast; that's what!

    Let's not be too hard on Brian, though, when even most of WW's modern fans don't understand why she needs a jet. She needs a jet, because she's got some seriously badass, ride-or-die friends, who would literally follow her into Hell, on a kanga - that's why! She's not Xena or Wolverine, trying to do everything alone, because that is not the Amazon way, and, sometimes, we don't get that, because some very pessimistic times have made us think needing others is uncool...not dark enough.

    That's why writers keep getting Diana, her motivation and her non-existent archenemies, all wrong.

    The lone, dark, relentless knight stalking the darkness...it's such a macho power fantasy, as a narrative. It's Wolverine and the Batman. It's not and never should be Wonder Woman, ..and, we laugh at her jet and dismiss her fat friend, because we don't understand that.

    To a freedom-loving Amazon, your friends - your sisters - are your power AND your armor; they're your whole world, what you're fighting for and willing to lay down your life to protect. Wonder Woman, without Etta and the rest of her kanga-or-die crew, is nothing, ..a wonderless woman.

    Diana goes to war, as mortal or goddess, because of who the Amazons made her, ..and who her friends make her. Being an all-powerful goddess of truth, war or guacamole is nothing, if you can't get that part of her right.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 01-17-2022 at 12:50 AM.
    A RASH ON MY TITANS (AND IT SMARTS)--STARRING WONDER WOMAN...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

  7. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Why does Azzarello keep getting Wonder Woman gigs? Based on this and other Diana stuff he is done, he seems to be the typical "badassery"-loving fanboy that has zero clue about who Diana is or what her mission stands for.
    What do you mean "keep getting"? Azzarello hasn't written any Wonder Woman stuff since his run ended in 2014.

  8. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    What's more badass, than Diana, as God of War? Diana, friend of Etta, Mala, Steve, Desira, Ching and Sigfried - a supporting cast; that's what!

    Let's not be too hard on Brian, though, when even most of WW's modern fans don't understand why she needs a jet. She needs a jet, because she's got some seriously badass. ride-or-die friends, who would literally follow her into Hell, on a kanga - that's why! She's not Xena or Wolverine, trying to do everything alone, because that is not the Amazon way, and, sometimes, we don't get that, because the That's why writers keep getting
    What does a jet have to with anything?

  9. #24
    Just crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    What's more badass, than Diana, as God of War? Diana, friend of Etta, Mala, Steve, Desira, Ching and Sigfried - a supporting cast; that's what!

    Let's not be too hard on Brian, though, when even most of WW's modern fans don't understand why she needs a jet. She needs a jet, because she's got some seriously badass, ride-or-die friends, who would literally follow her into Hell, on a kanga - that's why! She's not Xena or Wolverine, trying to do everything alone, because that is not the Amazon way, and, sometimes, we don't get that, because some very pessimistic times have made us think needing others is uncool...not dark enough.

    That's why writers keep getting Diana, her motivation and her non-existent archenemies, all wrong.

    The lone, dark, relentless knight stalking the darkness...it's such a macho power fantasy, as a narrative. It's Wolverine and the Batman. It's not and never should be Wonder Woman, ..and, we laugh at her jet and dismiss her fat friend, because we don't understand that.

    To a freedom-loving Amazon, your friends - your sisters - are your power AND your armor; they're your whole world, what you're fighting for and willing to lay down your life to protect. Wonder Woman, without Etta and the rest of her kanga-or-die crew, is nothing, ..a wonderless woman.

    Diana goes to war, as mortal or goddess, because of who the Amazons made her, ..and who her friends make her. Being an all-powerful goddess of truth, war or guacamole is nothing, if you can't get that part of her right.
    Of course we should be hard on Azz, because he took Diana's origin, and instead of making something breathrough like Perez, we got the junk that he crapped out, for what, 36 issues?

    Azz should get all the negative accolades for his run, because it was more divisive than anything I have read in a while. I quit the series and Wonder Woman for a long time at about issue 25. I just couldn't buy his drivel anymore.

  10. #25
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    6,210

    Default

    I thought that fact that Azzarello made such a big change as making Diana the God of War and then jumping ship afterwards leaving the next creative team to deal with it to be very bad writing. It's like he purposely set the house on fire and left the fire department to deal with it.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Action Comics, AquamEn, Black Adam, Dark Crisis, DC vs. Vampires, Flashpoint Beyond, Human Target, Justice League/Justice League Dark, One Star Squadron, Trial of the Amazons, & Wonder Woman.

  11. #26
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So, does anyone miss this period? Did you not like it and think it could have been done better? Do you want it back or do you think it's been explored enough? Or did you hate it and hope it never comes back?
    I think that the way this is phrased sort of ignores what actually took place during the run.

  12. #27
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Pretty sure the writer Azzarello had issues.
    The Amazons were your standard straw man haters who were told worshipped all the gods but if a male god set foot on the island they would try to kill them because men.
    And its established they would take boats out to sea to rape men and kill them which is the 'real reason' why they can exist despite not having menz~
    Oh and were expected to believe this which were told has been a thing for the Amazons for thousands of years was all this big secret kept from Diana until this run.
    Also it establishes that Zeus is this divine and good patriarchal figure who has an unbirthing fetish

    As for how the 'god of war' thing played out, this mostly translated to Wonder Woman being able to summon dead warriors from across history to help her wage war since this take on Wonder Woman was very 'warrior minded' Winds up helping Apollo to conquer Olympus after she disposes of First Born.

    It was bad enough that the entire storyline which spawned the god of war thing was established to be a twisted illusion.
    That was more something readers decided took place than anything that was actually on the page.

  13. #28
    Leftbrownie Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    4,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That was more something readers decided took place than anything that was actually on the page.


  14. #29
    Mighty Member Fuzzy Mittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    And thats not even going into the bit establishing how the Azzarellos take on the Amazons would trade any male children born from these rapes into slavery in exchange for swords because this take was so primitive and backwater that the concept of metallurgy was beyond their comprehension.

  15. #30
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    And thats not even going into the bit establishing how the Azzarellos take on the Amazons would trade any male children born from these rapes into slavery in exchange for swords because this take was so primitive and backwater that the concept of metallurgy was beyond their comprehension.
    If someone offers themself to someone who willingly accepts that offer(unless someone has another page that suggests that those sailors were not willingly taking part...)?

    That is not the person who accepted said offer being raped.

    I get that plenty of folks are not fans of the run.

    Doesn't really change that you have to bring something that is not actually on that page to get anywhere near those sailors being victims of rape.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •